IPTL: Aces defeat the Royals

REUTERS/Anindito Mukherjee

REUTERS/Anindito Mukherjee

The Indian Aces defeated the UAE Royals 30-19 today in New Delhi. This was the match many people were looking forward to because: Fedal. Sure, we got that, but we also got the Magician, Fabrice Santoro, playing an exciting shoot-out with Ivanisevic that got the whole team jumping up off the bench and cheering. Also, I want to see Santoro and Radwanska play mixed doubles. The opponents would be so very confused.

The scores:

Bopanna/Mirza defeated Nester/Mladenovic 6-4
Radwanska defeated Mladenovic 6-1
Santoro defeated Ivanisevic 6-5(7-4)
Bopanna/Nadal defeated Cilic/Federer 6-4
Nadal defeated Federer 6-5(7-4)

Videos:

Day 9 highlights:

Posted by IPTL – International Premier Tennis League.

Full doubles set:

Full singles set:

Match videos posted by Nadal Power who also posted highlight reels: doubles; singles.

The ITPL was worthwhile just for Rafa’s reaction to hearing Tomic is joining the team:

Posted by stroppa777.

Photos:

Photos by AP Photo/Tsering Topgyal and REUTERS/Anindito Mukherjee

1. FEDAL! So sweet together.

I had my doubts but I gotta admit this IPTL thing is fun. Rafa looks to be having the time of his life. The 20 second serve rule has to be good for him – 25 secs will seem like an eternity after this, lol.

2. Elizabeth Howard says:

What a fun and successful day for the ACES. Every player had magical moments that thrilled the crowd. The sheer power and charm of Rafael’s personality is awesome. It is lovely for people to see this aspect of his personality. Roger had fun too but good to see Rafael end on a high to get a clean sweep. Well done Aces

3. JayDee50 says:

I have loved watching Rafa play at the IPTL; so many smiles, laughs, goofy moments and some great tennis too. Such a refreshing change from the seriousness of the regular ATP tour. This has been so good for him, I think, confirmed by his declaration to want to return next year. Can’t wait.

4. jodiecate says:

Ok, so he’s still having closing out issues… glad he still won it after all that!
    I agree, it’s fantastic to see Rafa enjoying playing – against the seriousness of his tour play it really stands out.

I fully understand his reaction to having Bernie on the team in the next round – that’s nuts, why wouldn’t it be the team that actually won who gets through? Apart from that it seems a very well thought through variation from the main tour. I think it’ll bring a whole different kind of audience to the game and does seem a lot of fun.

They’ve already had personnel changes – Rafa didn’t play the first matches and Stouser left to be replaced by Radwanska. Players only agree to play for set number of matches. Rafa only agreed to play 4.

5. beachfan says:

I can’t wait to watch the matches. They will be shown on TC at 2pm est. I agree with all that Rafa has totally enjoyed this experience. You can tell by his big smiles. The audience reaction to him was fantastic and he has gained many more new fans. I loved the article that said he may be the most charming man he ever met! So true. Rafa is now home enjoying the holidays before the 2016 schedule begins.

6. john f says:

Wow – the positive energy and excitement here is infectious – team support and play, crowd enthusiasm – electricity! Ans what a pleasure to see the smiles (and shotmaking and movement) fro Rafa on court.
    I wa skeptical at first , but the Indian crowd knows how to enjoy themselves for sure – combine that with fun, fast, inspired play all around…..just great!