WTF: The draw

Julian Finney/Getty Images

Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images

The WTF draw was performed as part of an incredibly awkward ceremony in London today. You can watch the train wreck here if you’d like to. Why you would, I have no idea.

Anyway…down to the meat of things. The groups:

Stan Smith Group

Novak Djokovic
Roger Federer
Tomas Berdych
Kei Nishikori

Ilie Nastase Group

Andy Murray
Stan Wawrinka
Rafael Nadal
David Ferrer

2015 WTF Draw

1. beachfan says:

Can someone tell me why it was a train wreck so I don’t have to watch? What do people think of this draw? There is no easy draw, but I think this is the best one for him.

• Aero says:

It’s a train wreck because it’s full of fluff and long winded speeches by a bunch of bureaucrats and politicians lauding themselves and pontificating about this being the best tournament in tennis, go figure. Indeed awkward and disheveled, not only with the initial presentation but with the Mayor of London clumsily pulling names from a hat and trying to read them. The only decent part is the last 10 minutes (of 40 mins) when they quickly interview 4 of the 8 players. Andy, Rodger, Novak and Rafa in that order, kind of embarrassing for Stan considering he is number 4 but they passed him up to talk to Rafa! Not worth 40 minutes of your time.

2. SammyT says:

I guess this is the best possible draw for Rafa, or second best since the best draw would’ve been to get Berdych instead of Wawrinka in his group imo. But I’m optimistic Rafa can do some damage in his group with this draw if he’s physically recovered from his grueling schedule over the past few weeks.

3. Aero says:

Tough draw regardless considering it’s the top 8 in the world. Any one of these players can beat Rafa if he is not playing great. He doubts his chances himself, so I can’t see him winning it. He has never won it even when number one, it’s his least favorite environment. I’d be glad just to see him get out of his group into the semis.

4. wbeau says:

I always thought the the WTF draw was a 1-3-5-7 and 2-4-6-8 draw. Obviously I was wrong! I think Rafa, Djokovic and Fed in the same half would not have been the greatest for fans with tickets falling on the days when the other half played. I hope Rafa does well. And I hope the event isn’t the disaster it was last year with an exhibition for a final.

It works like all the other draws – top two placed into halves, next level dropped in a bowl/whatever and drawn out randomly, then the next level, etc.

5. Susanna728 says:

With Novak in the other group, maybe less chance of Rafa being eliminated before the semi’s. At least Daveed got the memo about dark suits this year. :)

6. mallorcanchamp says:

Asked for Murray, Ferrer & Federer… somebody changed the swiss one for another swiss :)

These are the players that Rafa used to beat regularly in the past so it’s good to face them again and give it a another try there in London where he’s out of any kind of pressure plus his form is growing constantly.

Stan is the most dangerous opponent of this group because he’s now very confident against Rafa (even more in indoors) but it should be considered that Paris match was very close and Rafa will be more rested for this one. A few tactical adjustments as Rafa always does after a loss and I expect a better result.

Remember losing 2 sets to 1 could also be a positive result to clinch a SF spot and play at least one more match, but let’s see what happens.

• Aero says:

Fed has the advantage over Rafa on indoor hards, so its probably better he got Stan. Stan’s last win against him was too close to call, that long late night match against Anderson the previous night may have taken its toll. As you said, Rafa is rested now so let’s hope for the best when they play on Monday. I’m glad he got David over Kei in his group and Andy over Novak, so it’s perhaps a decent draw if considering.

7. Rob says:

I think it could be a much worse draw but he must be fed up of meeting certain people like Stan again so soon after losing to him! agh!

Sorry to hear they inflicted our awful mayor of London on people at the draw ceremony and all the suits with the PR hype. Hope everyone resisted the desire to slit their wrists.