Double duty for Rafa tomorrow as he plays both singles and doubles. The singles match versus Tomic is schedule for not before 1:55pm local time. The doubles versus Peya/Soares is not before 4:30pm (and after suitable rest).
- Nadal Survives Baghdatis Clash; Tomic Ends Haas’ Comeback – via atpworldtour.com
“It was a little bit of a strange match,” said Nadal. “I’m happy to be through. It’s an important victory for me. The first match on grass is always very difficult… At the beginning I didn’t play my best, but I finished the match much better than how I started.”
- Rafael Nadal stretched by Marcos Baghdatis on return to grass at Mercedes Cup – via dailymail.co.uk (has a few match photos)
- Nadal startet mit hart erkämpftem Sieg gegen Baghdatis in den MercedesCup – via mercedescup.de (mangle)
- Nadal Battles Past Baghdatis in Stuttgart – Reuters via nytimes.com
- Rafael Nadal beats Marcos Baghdatis in Stuttgart – via bbc.com
- Nadal empieza de nuevo – via tennistopic.com (mangle)
Some translations from Genny:
Roig:”Nadal has a lot of motivation. We’ve been here for 2-3 days & he’s enjoying”
“The goal is to look for the ball from more inside the court, anticipating to it & going for flatter shots”
“We’ve been focused on the serve, return, the slice BH & the volley. Playing always from a more bent position & on footwork on grass”
Rafa: “I’m hopeful playing these two weeks will help me. I only have to increase my level of tennis & intensity on the court.”
Rafa: “If I can do it, I’m sure I’ll be back to the highest level”
Roig: “These 2 weeks can help him a lot to regain confidence & reach Wimbledon w/guarantee to perform well. We all believe he can do it.”
One more from Rafa: “[Now] it’s not time to think of winning titles. First week of the season on grass is always tough but I’ll give my all”
- The Rafa Nadal Foundation’s first independent project gets underway – via fundacionrafanadal.org
- Today’s photos from the tournament site.
Some match photos from Getty:
Social media related to Rafa:
- Great tennis, great characters and 80’s short shorts – you can’t go wrong: The French (1981.) – I cannot imagine players or a tournament granting film makers this kind of access today.