Stuttgart: The draw

Photo by Beth Wilson

Photo by Beth Wilson

The singles and doubles draws are out for Stuttgart. Rafa will be playing in both events.

In singles, Rafa’s first match will be against the winner of one between Rosol and Baghdatis. Seeds in his half are Tomic, Monfils and Kohlschreiber. Also in his half is wildcard recipient Tommy Haas – who’s trying to make a comeback after a long time out with injury. Seeds in the other half are Troicki, F. Lopez, Theim and Cilic. (Personally, I’m happy to see those big servers in the other half.)

Rafa’s teaming up with Feliciano Lopez for doubles. Their first match will be against Haas and Stepanek. If they make it through that, they could possibly face the Bryan brothers in round two.

Draw download links:
Singles
Doubles

1. JayDee50 says:

Good idea to play both singles and doubles in a small event – much needed grass court practice with no real pressure.

Not so keen to see Rosol as a potential first opponent – I immediately think of Wimbledon 2012. Oh well…..

• john f says:

I hope i’m not wrong JD but i think we will see a different rafa – taking serves shallow not deep, attacking every second serve, moving fast and forward to the net, flattening out backhands and forehands…
      just a hunch (i’ve been wrong before about rafa’s tactics )
      The lessons of this year on clay for rafa are pretty clear and won’t be lost on rafa – he has to change his game to defeat novak-
      but to defeat do that he needs tp hone his attacking skills , regain his power ..in comepetition in partciluar you have to take time away from novak – so my guess is rafa will be working on those instincts, those skills, those reactions – early on, and what better way than on a fast court like grass. This is the first time in many years that he will be rested before the grass season
      keep fingers crossed and hopes high!

2. luckystar1 says:

No choice about who he has to meet; maybe meeting tough opponents may spur him on and let his competitive self resurface.

I like the Rafa who played against Sock but sadly that aggressive and competitive Rafa doesn’t appear all the time.

3. sia says:

TennisTV seems to be broadcasting the doubles with RaFeli … for those who aren’t Geoblocked ;) :D

4. Superg74 says:

Interesting article here….

After the panic, really puts things into perspective and really.

This has nothing to do with the Stuttgart draw.

• Superg74 says:

Apologies Miri but thought it was worth sharing here as some other comments didn’t mention the draw and wasn’t sure which link to share it in. Its my second post so new to all this stuff.

No problem – the other posts are talking about Stuttgart, so they work.

(I also have to admit: I very much dislike the bleacherrport site. It’s better than it used to be, but I’ve come across so much crap and poorly-researched stuff on that I’m not likely to link to it – I’m not saying this article is one of them, just speaking in general. And, see the most recent lint post for my feelings on these “he’s done”, “no he’s not!” articles. But if you did want to share this, the place to do it would be on that post since it fits in with coverage of Roland Garros.)

Love that photo of Rafa. Love him in mint. And…erm…a draw is a draw, also on grass, no?

6. Fay says:

What day does Rafa play his singles? thanks

7. Fay says:

When does Rafa play singles in Studdgart?