RafaLint: October 7th
- Nadal falls to Djokovic in China Open final – by Zach Mink
- Djokovic Trumps Nadal To Win Fourth Beijing Crown – via atpwordtour.com
- Photos: Best of the China Open – by Courtney Nguyen (si.com)
- Report Card: Strong weeks for Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams – by Courtney Nguyen (si.com) Rafa gets a B+, which seems fair.
- No. 1s, Getting It Done – by Steve Tignor (tennis.com)
- Deeper Blue – by Jesse Pentecost (thenextpoint.com)
Meanwhile Nadal wasn’t overly convincing. Generous souls suggested he was experimenting with aspects of his game this week. Perhaps they’re right. He did take time to test just how far behind Fabio Fognini he could fall without looking in real peril of losing.
- Final Thoughts on the China Open – by Abigail Hinto (tennispanorama.com)
- Nadal Chases History In Shanghai – via atpworldtour.com
As he enters the Shanghai Rolex Masters, the Spaniard could become the first player to win six ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events in one year.
- Watch List: Roger Federer joins Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic in Shanghai – by Courtney Nguyen (si.com)
- Rafael Nadal and the World Tour Finals: What’s really at stake – by Douglas Perry (oregonlive.com)
- Federer: “I Think My Game’s Been Coming Back” – via atpworldtour.com. Fed says some nice things about Rafa in this Shanghai preview piece.
“I think [it's] an unbelievable comeback, no doubt about it,” said the Swiss right-hander. “One year ago people were saying he might never play tennis again. One year later he’s world No. 1. That’s how quick things can go in tennis, which is great. On the other hand, you’ve got the other extreme sometimes, you write off a player a little bit too fast.”
Federer said he was pleased for the left-handed Mallorcan. “I’m really happy that Rafa’s proven himself, for himself personally clearly, but also to the rest of the world that you never write off someone like him… The US Open was an unbelievable victory.”
- Unique Nadal will eclipse Federer grand slam tally, says Ivanisevic – by Frank Dalleres (cityam.com)
- How broken Nadal was rebuilt to achieve one of the great sporting comebacks – by Mike Dickson (dailymail.co.uk) Hmmmm. Keeping in mind the source (tabloidy), I would be interested to read the alleged reports that are mentioned in this article. Clearly, WADA doesn’t agree or they wouldn’t allow the therapy.
- I’m not entirely sure what Rafa’s doing to this plushy, but it looks…inapppropriate.
- Rafa blows a kiss to some very loud fans
- The iB3 celebrates Rafa’s return to #1.
- Interview with Toni
Rafa does social media:
- Rafa thanked Nike for their support.
Social media related to Rafa: