RafaLint: September 16th

Exhibitions:

Today, Rafa made sure we knew about an upcoming exhibition he’ll play against David Nalbandian:

Want to buy tickets? Go here.

This isn’t the only exhibition he’ll be playing in Buenos Aires. You can also buy tickets for a match against Djokovic to take place on November 24th.

Before the two Buenos Aires matches, Rafa will play David Ferrer in Lima Peru (November 17th). Tickets for this match can be purchased here.

2014 Davis Cup:
In the “tennis never sleeps” category, the 2014 Davis Cup Draw will be held on Wednesday at 11am (London time). You can watch it on the Davis Cup site.

Articles:

• Nadal’s Spirit, Focus Lift Him to New Heights in New York – by Chris Oddo (tennisnow.com)

While Djokovic wavered, starting slow then ramping up his energy to dizzying heights (Nadal’s words: “When Novak plays that level, I am not sure if nobody can stop him.”), Nadal didn’t vacillate emotionally, didn’t tire mentally, nor did he ever seem to be in danger of losing the belief that he took into the match. “The normal thing is I will have my chance,” he later said, matter of factly. “Then you can convert or not”

He did have his chance, but it wasn’t handed to him. He worked like a mule to quell Djokovic’s momentum, and like a knife-wielding ninja in the dark of the night, Nadal carved open a tiny little window to wiggle through.

Videos/Audio:

Photos:
I finally have all my Cincy and USO photos up. So, here goes:

For the US Open pictures, please keep in mind I was shooting from way up in Ashe stadium without a monopod while trying to hold a 5 pound lens I’d managed to weasel through security (and Rafa was out when the light was awful).

Other stuff:

You may also like...

1. jason says:

Miri… Arguably the best action shots of Nadal i’ve ever seen… forget well done… Thank Goodness you were there… if i ever become famous enough to warrant such shots… i definitely know who to call… Just so deeply impressed!!!

• Ramara says:

Indeed. When I read miri’s note about the conditions under which she was shooting I thought she was making excuses. Having seen the photos, now I think she’s bragging. They are beautiful.

• JMS says:

Breathtaking photos, Miri! I feel the action captured in each of the photos. Though I love Rafa in color, I prefer his dark kits in USO. He is indeed like a superhero weilding a racket!

2. Ramara says:

It’s the middle of the night and I am feeling philosophical. Great read by Chris Oddo, but I differ a bit. To me, since his return, Rafa’s been less concentrated on winning and more on playing well in every moment. That slight shift frees the mind. Winning isn’t something you can control. Playing well is. And if you play well – and if you’re Rafael Nadal – you will surely have your chances to win.

3. Atanu says:

Hi Guys,

Not to be a cry baby, I am a little worried about so many tournament and then so many exibition matches that Rafa is scheduled to play… Isn’t this a little too much considering the last year?

I am a little scared his knees and body won’t get the required rest it needs…

Hoping…

Vamos Rafa

• Denizen says:

I’m not at all worried about the exhibitions as they’re less taxing than a normal practice. Plus, Rafa will be treated like a king, with no pressure to win.

As a professional tennis player, Rafa has to make hay while the sun shines.

• JayDee50 says:

All the exhibition matches take place after the World Tour Finals have finished; they are fun events with no pressure. Maybe Rafa views them as practice sessions. I’m sure if there were any problems with his knees or anything else he wouldn’t hesitate to pull out. He knows his body better than anyone.

• Karen says:

I agree, & given how hard he plays when practicing these exos will probably be much more fun & relaxing for him especially in Souh America where he has loads of fans & doesn’t go very often.

• heath says:

A chronic tendinopathy like Rafa has in his knee does not just need adequate rest, it needs management – and that means the right balance of rest, loading (controlled exercise) and physio. Rafa and his team know this only too well and rest assured, it will be happening. Also, don’t forget that Rafa is a young man and extremely fit, so his body does not need rest as we might think it does. He (and his knee) will want to keep active throughout the short close season and what better way than entertaining the crowds and raising money for charity with some exhibition matches? Don’t worry – Rafa knows what he is doing.

4. Sharon/London says:

Well I’m sure Rafa & his team know what they are doing.

Miri thanks for all the photo’s they are fabulous. Cant you go to all his matches? Not feasible i know but whenever your there he wins. You bring him good luck ! Lol

Thank you for this wonderful site. I’m addicted. Lol !

5. JayDee50 says:

All the Cincy and US Open photos are great, really enjoyed looking through them. Thanks so much for taking them and sharing.

I thought Chris Oddo’s article was very good too, love the “knife-wielding ninja” description lol.