Non breaking news!
It was announced right after today’s matches that Rafa and Marc! will be the doubles team for Spain tomorrow. Set your alarms/DVRs/whatever for Team Cuteness! Let’s hope they can wrap up the tie so Rafa won’t have to play 3 days in a row.
Broke days ago news:
Ack! I forgot to go through my Pocket account when I did last night’s lint…so some of these are older. For example, this story is from Wednesday, but adorable: Rafa was a ball-player before he could walk, granny says.
- Rafa Nadal – The Most Astounding Normal Guy on this Planet – by Bill Simons (insidetennis.com)
- ‘Empty’ Nadal committed to Davis Cup, but may not play Friday – by Matt Cronin (tennis.com)
- No Rest for Nadal as Spain Pick Him for Davis Cup Singles – Reuters via nytimes.com
- Spain in control on opening day – DC match report by Stuart Fraser (daviscup.com). Includes audio intervew clips with Rafa, Verdasco, Corretja and Filima.
- Nadal helps put Spain in control of playoff – Reuters via eurosport.yahoo.com
- Nadal termina por la vía rápida con Stakhovsky y encarrila la permanencia en la Davis – includes a highlight reel (mangle)
- Nadal subdues Stakhovsky to put Spain in control – by Iain Rogers (sports.yahoo.com)
- Can Rafael Nadal Win Seventeen Slams? – via heavytopspin.com.
- Rafael Nadal d. Novak Djokovic: Recap and Detailed Stats – via heavytopspin.com
Rafa won 45% of return points today, a mark he has never before reached against Djokovic on hard courts. Even more importantly, he won return points at the same rate when Djokovic was serving at 30-30 or later. Djokovic won what would normally be an impressive number of return points: 38%. In recent years on hard courts, that was always enough to beat the Spaniard.
- Six Moves to a Six-Pack – old, but someone just sent it to me. And you might like the photo
- Rafa Nadal, una trayectoria de leyenda – nice promo bit that aired before Rafa’s match
- Remember that radio interview yesterday? Allegedly, there’s video here. But I’ve tried 3 different browsers and 2 different computers and it won’t play for me. Oh! First, disable any ad blocker you might have installed and then just leave the window open. It took over 5 mintues for me, but it did eventually start playing.
- Rafa Nadal prepara ya en Madrid la cita de Copa Davis by the EFE
- DC Practice and interview footage
- iB3 interview with Toni
- Yesterday’s practice
- 2013 ATP Season – The Story So Far (in which you’ll see the same guy holding quite a few different trophies…
- Two pre-US Open final promos: Intro and One.
- @diannada’s photos of Rafa on the champion’s balcony in Cincy.
Social media related to Rafa:
- With Doubled Fees, Tennis Court Permit Sales Plunge – tennis be expensive to play
- This Murray .gif both amuses me and freaks me out.
- The “Wagons Ho!” one is making me dizzy