USO: Beatdown

AP Photo/Darron Cummings

AP Photo/Darron Cummings

Tonight, Rafa played fellow Spaniard Tommy Robredo (#22) in the US Open quarterfinals. Much like Rafa, Tommy’s having a good comeback year. Unlike Rafa, his momentum came to a complete and total stop tonight. I don’t know what to say about this match that won’t sound disrespectful to Tommy and he deserves better than that. But this was a total beat down from Rafa. Rafa’s through to the semis: 6-0, 6-2, 6-2.

More in-depth stats can be found here.

NadalRobredo
Statistics
Aces23
Double Faults04
1st Serve %61%52%
1st Serve Points Won31/36 (86%)20/34 (59%)
2nd Serve Points Won14/23 (61%)9/32 (28%)
Service Games Played1111
Break Points Won7/10 (70%)0/0 (%)
Statistics on Points
Total Service Points Won45/59 (76%)29/66 (44%)
Total Return Points Won37/66 (56%)14/59 (24%)
Total Points Won82/125 (66%)43/125 (34%)
Other Stats
Winners2810
Unforced errors1521
Net Approaches15/16 (94%)7/15 (47%)

You may also like...

1. nwogo says:

Vamos Rafa

2. Julie says:

Brilliant Rafa…again. Love it!!

3. Isabelle says:

Wow, a bit hard to see Robredo get demolished but glad Rafa is playing so GD well! I am sorry for Daveed but just as well we don’t have to see Rafa wipe him out too!

4. Aini Idora says:

I rly enjoy the match commentary here.Nice
    Keep it up!:-)

5. Ramara says:

Your “storify” was a lot of fun, miri. Thanks!

I’ve been sick and had to go to bed early – I’m on East Coast time. Woke up and figured the match could not possibly be over but had to get up and look anyway. Glad I did! Now, do I go back to bed and hope to sleep or watch my recording of the match and figure it’ll put me to sleep? Decisions, decisions.

• CB says:

Oh, you should watch the match when you are awake! Rafa was brilliant! I was never bored — just filled with total colm the entire match and thrilled with Rafa’s play. I did feel sorry for Tommy but you can tell Rafa means business and is gearing up for a potential final with Djokovic.

6. dk says:

I didn’t see the Gasquet-Ferrer match. Is Gasquet playing well enough to give Rafa a difficult match on Sat or did Ferrer not play that well (or both)?

• Sammy says:

I did and Gasquet had patches of truly brilliant play, but he couldn’t sustain that for extended periods of time. He certainly has the potential to give Rafa a tough match if he plays as well as he can.

• beegee says:

Gasquet has a one-handed backhand, just like Robredo, Federer, Kohlschreiber, etc. Rafa’s game plan seems to be to relentlessly attack that one-hander and it has worked beautifully thus far. Gasquet’s age plus the time he’s spent on court leading to the semis won’t work in his favor against Rafa the Grinder. ☺ VAMOS!

• Sammy says:

Agreed on all that, of course! The question was whether Gasquet CAN give Rafa a tough match and the answer is yes, just like Kohlschreiber, who has a similar style, did in the fourth round. Whether he WILL give Rafa a tough match or not remains to be seen. I certainly hope not; Rafa needs to be as fresh as possible for a potential war with Murray or, especially, Djoko in the final.

• beegee says:

True – I think Gasquet will definitely trouble Rafa from time to time and set to set. I don’t expect a blow-out like we’ve seen in some of these others, but Rafa will prevail over 5 to be sure. ☺ And Murray is not longer an issue, so Rafa needs to be proactive in dictating so he can get off courts as soon as possible to be fresh for the Djoker. VAMOS!!!!

• WoD says:

I was at the Open yesterday, watching the Ferrer-Gasquet match live! It did not seem like Ferrer was playing badly, but Gasquet was playing better than what I think of as his usual level. I noticed that any time the rally went on for long, with the two hitting the ball back and forth without much change in angle, Gasquet ended up winning the point. Ferrer needed to create angles to win points. But it was mostly an even match, as proved by it going five sets. And in the game in the fifth set where Ferrer got broken, he made several errors where he approached the net and hit shots into the net that would have been winners had they gone over the net. So in a sense, it was more that Ferrer lost that game than that Gasquet won it, and if Ferrer hadn’t gotten broken there, who knows what would have happened.

Overall, I think Ferrer would have been a more interesting opponent against Rafa than Gasquet, because he tends to come up with more interesting angles in his shots, but if Rafa plays as well as he did last night, only Djokovic or Murray would be able to really challenge him. I would be very, very surprised if Gasquet is able to take a set from Rafa. But we shall see!

7. Rafaella says:

Nice win. Though I hated a beatdown at Robredo’s expense, I’m so happy at Rafa’s level of play. I hope for an easy win against Gasquet. If Rafa is going to the Finals, I want him to be fresh against Murray, more so against Djokovic. Vamooooos! :D

8. Scooter says:

That shirt change picture with the smile at the end…speechless. SOOOOOOOO happy !!!!!

9. Ruthie says:

Well played our Rafa – sorry for Tommy but his run has been terrific in this tournament.

Good luck for the upcoming match against Gasquet.

Vamos our Rafa & God bless.

10. Elfie says:

Rafa is playing simply awesomely at the moment. I’m really starting to believe in my heart he can win this title again. But let me not get ahead of myself…one step and one match at a time, -wishing him a great SF match against Gasquet. – What an amazing memory Rafa has – when Brad Gilbert reminded him in the on-court interview that Gasquet had said he beat Rafa when they were 13yrs old and Rafa straight away said “yes he beat me 6-4 in the 3rd!!” Onwards and upwards, Rafa!

11. v.arunachalam says:

Entire credit to Tony Nadal for making Rafa, very sharp & aggressive. Tommy, having said Federer the greatest the previous day forgetting his own country man that he had to face the next day is regarded as the greatest , had to bite dust & understand his folly of such a comment when Nadal has already acquired this feat.

12. heath says:

From what I saw, that wasn’t a tennis match; absolutely nothing between the two players matched up and now I’m even more disappointed not to have had a Fedal quarter – as I bet the crowd on Ashe are too. I’m happy that Rafa continues to play well and with confidence and that he is in the semis but a match worthy of a GS quarter final, that was not. I watched the first set and a half, could see clearly where it was going and decided to go to bed. Hoping for more of a match on Friday! Are you listening, Monsieur Gasquet?

• Ramara says:

What did Roger ever do to you that you’d wish a match with Rafa on him given their current form? But yes, I know what you mean and I’m sorry too, that we didn’t get a real Fedal match at the USO.

• CB says:

A Fedal match would have been great since they’ve never played in New York. But who’s to say it would have been much different; Rafa is just playing such confident tennis!

• heath says:

Hee! I wasn’t wishing demon!Rafa on Roger – just wishing there had been more of a match last night and thinking Rog might have been able to contribute a little more than Tommy did :)

13. Margie says:

MIri, thank you for this great site. I love all the tweets
    And when Rafa plays a match the way he did tonight, it is just sooooooo much fun and joy for me. But all your work makes this all possible for me in Africa! Thank you, thank you, thank you! And you are soooooo quick. This a site truly worthy of our Rafa!

• leslie says:

Absolutely agree Margie! You would never catch me going to bed when Rafa is executing his game so expertly. People certainly see tennis matches differently. I thought Rafa’s shots were breathtaking – precise and powerful- and I was not bored for one instant. I think it would really be great for Rafa’s fans to acknowledge and appreciate his level of play and not contend the results are all based on noncompetiton from his opponent. I think both Rafa and Tommy deserve more respect for their efforts.

• Rafaella says:

I agree, Leslie. I don’t consider Tommy a lesser opponent having seen him play for a long time, I am actually a fan. Rafa is just brilliant so far. I haven’t seen Djokovic yet on this tournament but I’m less impressed with whom he played against. I even expected a blowout of Granollers. Youzhny can be very good at times but very bad most of the time.

After missing Rafa for 7 mos, I now make sure to record all his matches. I just enjoy watching him and for me, it’s better to enjoy the suffering rather than not seeing him. Now I totally get him! Gotta love Rafa! :D

14. JMS says:

Miri, I love your storify! Even though I watched the match, I still look forward to reading your recaps.
    Rafa was flawless tonight! Keep it up to the SF. Vamos!!!

15. Sharon/London says:

On the bright side Tommy got one more game than Granollers did v Novak & he defeated Federer so Tommy’s had a great week. However i knew he never stood a chance against Rafa who continues to be as ruthless & relentless as ever though I felt he wasn’t as sharp tonight but still brilliant. Up next is another one handed BH Gasquet who is playing well but he last beat Rafa when he was 13.

2 days rest now for Rafa & 2 early nights for me. Looking forward to SF. Cannot wait !

16. trish says:

In as much as I wanted Rafa to win I was so sad for Tommy.i like beatdowns but this one, not so much.

17. Tina says:

Thank you, Rafa, simply thank you.

The commies referred to you as a monster, and I hate that, but I must say, that tonight Tommy might agree.

VAMOS for the semifinal.

18. kaushik says:

well,what we saw from this match was an absolute virtuoso performance from rafa,could have blown anybody to smithereens with the form he is in *antijinx* .its good he gets rest days before the semis.try as i might,its hard to see gasquet beating rafa in this form .i know 2013 is destined to be his .vamoss!!

• kaushik says:

also,i dont know if its just me or has the chatbox stopped working altogethor ? chat is the melting pot for global community of fans to get togethor and celebrate rafa.i know miri does an awesome and tiring job of maintaining this site so plz look into this issue pretty soon .

Sorry, I’d forgotten to pay the renewal fee. I’ve done that now.

• kaushik says:

ah thanks a million miri,problem solved now :-D .

• Sharon/London says:

Miri

Thank you. This site & chat box is amazing. Great for us to be able to Come together from all over the world during Rafa matches. It’s absolutely brilliant & I personally could not thank you enough. Your time & effort is very much appreciated. What would we do without you?

Once again thank you.

• lyn says:

Agree. And Miri lets us know where we can send contributions for the renewal fee. I am for sure serious! Thanx again. Left my E-mail address :)

• Elfie says:

The chatbox suddenly stopped working for me as well about 4-6mths ago, in Google chrome – but it works for me in Internet Explorer – so maybe try that.

• Elfie says:

Sorry I didn’t read all the other comments before replying so my reply was a bit premature! Glad its all good.

19. JK says:

I was there I was there I was there. So Happy to be able to see Rafa play in NYC after he skipped last year. Well he played the exho at MSG to make up for last year skip but still not the same as playing the USO.
    Hope he continues to play well and stay healthy for years to come.
    Vamos Rafa on to the semis!

20. Susanna728 says:

I’m glad Tommy got the score closer in the last two sets. I felt so bad for him during the first set. Have to say that IMHO Tommy is the most gorgeous player on tour. Those blue eyes with the dimple in the chin – oh my.

21. Annie says:

Thanks for this, Miri. I love reading back all the tweets and your take on them etc.

22. Ruthie says:

Good luck for tomorrow against Gasquet.

Vamos our Rafa & God bless.

23. Ruthie says:

Well played Rafa. Good luck in the final against Novak.

Vamos & God bless.