RafaLint: July 1st, the Kinesio Tape edition

Photo by Beth Wilson

Photo by Beth Wilson

Howdy, peeps. The wackiness at Wimbledon continues and proves, yet again, that there’s no such thing as a sure thing in sports. And seriously? That’s why I love it so.

I was looking around for information on Kinesio tape the other day and wrote to the makers of it. I sent them the picture of Rafa that’s in this article and asked if they could provide any information on the type/style of taping and what it might be trying to accomplish. I wasn’t actually expecting a reply, but I figured…why not ask? Guess what – they replied!

Thank you very much for your email. The Kinesio Taping® application in the image you sent is a lymphatic application intended to reduce swelling and edema in an area. The black strips of tape are called Kinesio® Tex Fan Cut strips and are designed to direct lymphatic fluid towards the nearest lymph node in order to reduce the congestion in the area. With Kinesio Tex tape being applied directly to the skin and having elastic qualities the tape is designed to lift the epidermis which is the top layer of skin. With the skin lifted in the area Kinesio Tex tape is applied this provides more interstitial space for fluid to flow. This fluid is directed underneath the strips of tape and up to the strips anchor point which is located near a lymph node allowing excess fluid to be drained out of the congested area.

As for the white and beige tape that is used in the photo, that is a different taping method from Kinesio Taping.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. We’d be more then happy to provide any other information and/or photos.

Please keep in mind, however, they are just speculating based on a single photo. I thought it was pretty nice of them to reply to such an out of the blue question.

Articles:

Rafa does social media:

Social media related to Rafa:

Not much else going on in public RafaLand. So, here’s some random stuff:

You may also like...

1. Agi says:

i have been having shoulder pain for months now and i have a physio who also works with kinesio tape. I had a session with her yesterday and i showed her the picture too of Rafa’s knee and she answered the same thing.

2. SA says:

Maybe the hat was a poor attempt to be incognito…the nike shirt didn’t help if that was the case.

3. JayDee50 says:

The Kinesio taping company’s response is interesting, but doesn’t spring any new surprises. Also, very decent of them to reply to your enquiry, Miri.

So, Rafa was playing with an inflamed/swollen and most likely very painful knee. This would explain why it was reported he took some anti-inflammatories pre-match, and would account for his poor movement during it. Poor Rafa, it’s so unfair for someone who loves to compete like he does and in the way that he does to be afflicted with a condition affecting those particular joints. I hope he gives himself sufficent rest and healing time before he even thinks about coming back to the tour. But having said that, I MISS HIM!

Yeah, I agree – nothing really that new and agrees with some comments people have left here, just thought it was nice of them to reply.

4. Ramara says:

Never mind the silly hat – he’s not wearing tape on his knee! I’ll take it.

Legs, legs, legs, legs…hat…?! What hat?! Oh, OK. I think it looks kinda cute on him, because he’s on the beach. He is going bald, after all. He needs it. ;)
    I wish people would stop asking to have their photo taken with Rafa and then posting it online. Totally intrusive and rude. Leave him be.

It’s better than all the paparazzi pictures that are being posted all over the place. Every time I see one in an article or tweeted, it makes me sad.