RafaLint: June 28th

Photo by Beth Wilson

Photo by Beth Wilson

The only one of the many paparazzi photos that came out today that I’ll post a link to is in this article (mangle). Why? It gives a close-up of Rafa’s rather artistic knee tape and wasn’t taken while he was enjoying his down time with friends. (The photo is cropped in the article, click on it to see the full thing.) Any Kinesio tape experts out there that want to hazard a guess at the reason for that particular configuration? To me, it seems like it’s trying to keep the knee cap tracking in the right position and possibly lift it a bit – maybe taking pressure off the fat pad behind it? Honestly, I have no idea.

From kinesiotaping.com:
The Kinesio Taping® Method is a definitive rehabilitative taping technique that is designed to facilitate the body’s natural healing process while providing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body’s range of motion as well as providing extended soft tissue manipulation to prolong the benefits of manual therapy administered within the clinical setting. Latex-free and wearable for days at a time, Kinesio® Tex Tape is safe for populations ranging from pediatric to geriatric, and successfully treats a variety of orthopedic, neuromuscular, neurological and other medical conditions. The Kinesio® Taping Method is a therapeutic taping technique not only offering your patient the support they are looking for, but also rehabilitating the affected condition as well. By targeting different receptors within the somatosensory system, Kinesio® Tex Tape alleviates pain and facilitates lymphatic drainage by microscopically lifting the skin. This lifting affect forms convolutions in the skin thus increasing interstitial space and allowing for a decrease in inflammation of the affected areas.

Articles:

Rafa does social media:

• Rafa let us know that he was having a good time with friends and that Marc! goes to nice restaurants with fierce bed head.

Social media related to Rafa:

At a boat shop? (Would you call something like this a shop? Boating store? Water sports store? Sun and ski place?)

Going grocery shopping?

Hanging out with another disembodied head?

Other stuff:

Pool Standings:

ARGH! I’ve neglected to post the pool standings all week. Guess I didn’t want to after Rafa’s loss on Monday. Any way, here’s where things stand right now:

Nadal News :
17 Deepti_2126782
18 Amless26681
19 Diannada26681
20 Vamosgirl26580

You may also like...

1. NJR says:

I don’t know about the kinesio but the other tape – white one with an orange patch in the middle – suggests some sort of invasive procedure on the knee, whether for a diagnostic procedure or something else. It could be that Rafa got one of those plasma shots that are supposed to accelerate healing and recovery and the kinesio is there to make the whole thing even quicker and easier.

And since I watched “Star Trek” earlier today I’ll also say “Dammit Miri, I’m a tennis fan not a doctor” :D

It does look like he had something done, but it’s odd because he didn’t seem to visit the dr who does the plasma treatments (he’s not based in Barcelona, but in northern Spain).

And, since you know old Star Trek, you might know where my online name comes from. :)

• Caroline says:

I think he needs 2-3 weeks of rest when he does the PRP treatment… We’ll see if he gets back to court sooner than that. I also feel it’s a different treatment. And a very creative «pret-à-porter» looking!

2. heath says:

People already know what I think about Rafa’s knee, but I am not at all sure what this particular taping configuration is supposed to be doing. I only know that the lateral tape is very much a compression tape – suggesting that he has an injection of some sort. I’m not sure if the taping is Kinesio or not but I do know that despite the company’s claims, or the subjective views of users, systematic review of studies undertaken reveal insufficient evidence to support the use of Kinesio taping over ‘sham’ or standard taping in the treatment/prevention of tendon/muscular injuries.

3. Dana says:

Love the pic, Miri :)

4. nolanla says:

I am currently ranked 32, with 85 points, 54% correct, in the Nadal News bracket group. If the there is in fact an award for coming in last, please advise.

5. nolanla says:

P.S. I was last in the Roland Garros bracket also, so perhaps two certificates are in order??

• kaushik says:

you must be disappointed to hear but i have broken your record this time.rank 34 with 83 points ,so miri plz give me certificate :-)

6. Annie says:

I think you guys will really enjoy this from WSj’s Jason Gay:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … hare_tweet

I read Rafa was seeing Dr. Cotorro. Isn’t he the plasma guy?

7. Annie says:

OOPS. The link doesn’t work. ACK!!!

8. Annie says:

oh geez, sorry Miri. I missed that.

9. kaushik says:

whew,in this crazy wimbledon,how did soo many get those bracket predictions right ? i hope for god’s sake you didnt predict rafa losing early !!

10. Keith says:

Rafa looks so fit and healthy in his pics…if only olive skin beauty won you tennis tournaments on their own.

11. Pati says:

Miri, the kinesiotape in the way Rafa has it, as I know is for pain. I have been treated with it many times. Also my son who plays tennis also. There are many different ways and purposes for thw kinesiotape, but when you cut this way most of the times is for reduce pain.

12. Kate says:

Hey there…

I’m new to this site. I stumbled upon it quite accidentally, and I really like it. I hope you don’t mind me joining in the conversation.

My son, who also plays tennis, has used kineosiotape. He actually used in around his wrist area. It reduced the pain but still allowed him mobility, so he could continue playing.

I don’t know if other tape would have done the same, but this is what was recommended, so we went with it.

13. kyukee says:

i think it’s a precautionary thing…additional support so as not to aggravate an existing injury

14. Susanna728 says:

In watching the end of Rafa’s match again, I noticed that he actually waited for Darcis so they could walk off together – which is the tradition at Wimbeldon but a lot of players ignore it. How many top players, after such a terrible defeat, would do that? (I don’t think Fed did.) Just one more illustration of what an incredibly respectful and honorable person he is. Ok – now I’m deleting the match forever.

• JayDee50 says:

Neil Harman of The Times made a point about that in one of his match tweets, acknowledging “the stature of the man”, for patiently waiting, walking just behind Darcis, then stopping to sign autographs. Just one of the many reasons why I have so much respect and admiration for Rafa.