RafaLint: June 16th
I spent a good chunk of the day watching the Roland Garros semi again. (I fear it will be deleted off my DVR due to space during Wimbledon.) I’m still amazed by that smile on Rafa’s face when he was broken in the 4th set to put things back on serve. He really does love suffering and the competition.
Rafa will play this year’s Necker Cup Pro-Am in November.
The Necker Cup is five-day, all inclusive world class Pro-Am Tennis Event on Sir Richard Branson’s Necker Island in The British Virgin islands. This year’s event is schedule for November 12-16th. Sixteen (16) ATP / WTA Tour Players/Legends are paired up with sixteen (16) amateur teams of all levels, who compete in this fun and spirited tennis event. A handicapped scoring format makes it competitive for all tennis levels. Teams consist of one pro and up to two amateurs. Teams compete to win their bracket and earn a chance to play in the Necker Cup Finals. As well as great tennis, participants engage in typical Necker Island activities like paddle boarding, pilates, sailing, kite boarding, wake boarding, snorkeling, scuba diving, massage therapy, beach tennis, parties and more.
The Charity ATP/WTA Player’s Exhibition, Dinner, Auction and “End of the World” Party take place on the final night. A portion of event profits and 100% of all live and silent auction proceeds go to Virgin Unite, The National Tennis Foundation, and other leading ATP/WTA player charities. Last year’s Necker Cup Event raised over $1,000,000 for worthy charities.
Brason’s blog entry about the event.
- ABC names Rafa as the best Spanish sportsman in history and thanks to Genny, we have scans of the article. (If you can’t view the gallery via that link, here are direct links to each: one, two, three, four, five, six, and seven)
- 10 inhakers the victory Nadal at Roland Garros – via sportnext.be (mangle)
- Jeannab64 was enjoying a flashback today, so why not you? Roddick vs Nadal – Final Davis Cup 2004 – Sevilla (USA vs Spain). Such a speedy server he was…
Social media related to Rafa:
- Pico posted a screen grab of the iB3 coverage of his practice with Rafa. (Thanks, Dianne)
Over the last five years, nadal has won 8 majors, federer 5, Djokovic 5. Tiger woods : zero.
— Jon Wertheim (@jon_wertheim) June 16, 2013
- London Queens 2013 Rally Against Cancer – video wrap-up of an exhibition played for a very good cause. You can still donate here. I want an infinite loop (sound and video) of Murray’s reaction to hitting Lendl.