RafaLint: June 10th
The Roland Garros after-glow edition.
- The Inevitables – by Steve Tignor (tennis.com)
As for the immediate future, Nadal got an important win over Novak Djokovic and raised his game higher in the final, as champs are supposed to do. Rafa even played with his beloved “colm” when the French came after him with fire. But that’s old hat for Nadal by now. Rafa has been defying the tennis fans of Paris for nearly a decade now. A+
- Rafa vs. Everybody – by Brian Phillips (grantland.com)
It’s not a question of legacy so much as a matter of self-definition. Is he a freak of clay wizardry who took advantage of some cracks in Federer’s late style to win a few mainstream majors before Djokovic showed up? Or is he the best and toughest player who’s ever done this thing, someone who emerged in the immediate wake of a transcendent superstar and willed himself to out-transcend him? This French Open, as awesome as it was, can’t tell us. But it’s the most fascinating question in tennis. It may turn on a couple of ligaments, but then no one said sports wasn’t stupid. Here’s to good health, tasty silver, and Nadal vs. everybody at Wimbledon in a couple of weeks.
- A Monumental Accomplishment – by Jesse Pentecost (thenextpoint.com)
Thus distracted, Nadal took the following point with a savage forehand winner. Forget the kids, wouldn’t someone please think of Ferrer?
- A Nadal solo le queda doctorarse – by David Menayo via marca.com (mangle)
- Travel Uniform: Rafael Nadal – by Tomas Martin (travelandleisure.com)
- Brain Game: Rafa’s Heavy Forehand – by Craig O’Shannessy (atpworldtour.com)
- Rafael Nadal on clay is one of the most dominant athletes ever – by Chris Chase (ftw.usatoday.com)
- Five pictures that show Rafael Nadal’s breathtaking defense – by Chris Chase (ftw.usatoday.com)
- Rafael Nadal mourns Nelson Mandela, who is still alive – by Chris Chase (ftw.usatoday.com). Oops!
- Report Card: French Open grades – by Courtney Nguyen (si.com)
- Continuity and Change: The Champions of Roland Garros 2013 – by Chris Skelton (tennisviewmag.com)
- Beyond Rafa: What we learned – by Greg Garber (espn.com)
Amazing. Incredible. That’s Rafa on an average day.
- La prensa europea se rinde a Nadal – via rtve.es (mangle)
- An Era of Greatness, but No Grand Slams – by Christopher Clarey (nytimes.com)
- 2013 French Open: Rafael Nadal, his wrists, and his reign – by Bill Connelly (sbnation.com)
- Rafael Nadal reveals the pain and fear behind his return to French glory – by Paul Newman (independent.co.uk)
- Serena and Rafa’s Actually-Kinda-Surprising French Open Wins – by Ashley Fetters (theatlantic.com)
- Tennis digizine Roland Garros Wrap-up
- Interview with CNN
- Rafael Nadal Celebrating the Victory at Roland Garros 2013 – I included this in the Disneyland post, but wanted to make sure no one missed it. :)
- More Disneyland footage
- El Príncipe Felipe felicita a Ferrer y a Nadal en el vestuario
- Rafa Nadal, en ‘El Larguero’ – radio interview (mangle)
- On court interview with JMac – not the best quality, but for those who didn’t get to see it, it’s something.
- So long, farewell – via rolandgarros.com
- Una mirada a través de la trayectoria de Nadal
09 jun 2013 – a look back at all Rafa’s RG wins.
- Screen grabs from the final.
- Disneyland photos from the Roland Garros Facebook
- More photosets from Zimbio: one, two, and three.
- Photos from the final by Tennis Trotteur.
Rafa does social media:
- Rafa shared Pao Gasol’s photo and comment.
Social media related to Rafa:
- Bacardi’s salute to Rafa