Madrid: On fire

AP Photo / Daniel Ochoa de Olza

AP Photo / Daniel Ochoa de Olza

Rafa played on-fire #15 Stanislas Wawrinka in the Madrid Open final today. Stan’s been playing some of the best tennis of his career lately. He’s also been playing a lot of it. Today was the day he ran out of gas. Rafa came out on fire, making a statement and breaking in the first game. Stan did pretty darn well in winning two games that set. The second set was a bit more competitive, but Rafa was still playing some beautiful clay court tennis. He wins his 3rd Madrid Open, 5th title this year, and 23rd Masters title by a score of 6-2, 6-4.

Trophy biting photos to come.

Stats:

NadalWawrinka
Statistics on Serve
Aces35
Double Faults14
1st Serve %65%61%
1st Serve Points Won26/29 (90%)22/33 (67%)
2nd Serve Points Won11/15 (73%)10/21 (48%)
Break Points Saved0/0 (%)8/11 (73%)
Service Games Played99
Statistics on Return
1st Return Points Won11/33 (33%)3/29 (10%)
Second Return Points Won11/21 (52%)4/15 (27%)
Break Points Won3/11 (27%)0/0 (%)
Return Games Played99
Statistics on Points
Total Service Points Won37/44 (84%)32/54 (59%)
Total Return Points Won22/54 (41%)7/44 (16%)
Total Points Won59/98 (60%)39/98 (40%)

You may also like...

1. sia says:

Rafa must be getting close to the top in the race … he could catch Nole next week. :D

• Allyn Sims says:

Based on a Brad Gilbert tweet, I think with this win, Nole will be only 150 points ahead in the race.

2. the other Maria says:

Congrats to Rafa. Can’t wait to see pics of him with clay on his nose and cheek :). Loved how he upped his game today.

3. Sharon/London says:

No walkabout today and no TIME VIOLATIONS. HURRAY!

Another title for the great Rafa. He upped his game today , the forehands with depth from corner to corner and down the line were a sight to behold. The best tennis he has played since he returned from the break after IW IMO. Not far from reaching his best . So pleased for him.

Rafa I hope you have time to enjoy your victory.

Rome Next. Cannot wait.

4. Rafacat says:

Going to celebrate a great victory this week with a ped!!! Does anyone know what we are doing for Roland Garros this year?

5. Annie says:

Just caught the final and Rafa played fantastic! And he was SO happy to win!

Thanks Miri for posting all those tweets, especially the ones from the young players watching
    Rafa practice. It must be a thrill for them to see the greatest up close.

6. Rose says:

Oh I am so happy! With all these upsets and Madrid being Rafa’s least favorite clay surface, I was taking really one match at a time just like Rafa.
    As soon as saw him win this, had to stop myself from thinking ahead (rather dreaming about) even of Rome. Let Rafa enjoy this one, he has really worked so hard to get to this form after the 7 month lay off. Every match you win Rafa is a bonus to this fan :)

7. krebs2012 says:

Rafa played the Madrid Finals so well as if he was the man with a Mission!!!! Extreme determination to make up for past year’s poor performace…. Onward to Rome Masters and FO with the SAME Results!!!!

Vamossssss Rafaaaaaaa!!! :P

8. Rafacat says:

Krebs2012, I just reread the posts from yesterday and saw I left my “i” off of “pedi” and “color” out if my post. I wanted to know if anyone knew what color we r doing our nails this year? WOW!!!! What did you think I meant? I’ve never been jumped on this site before.

• Eliana says:

HAHA yeah, the problem is that ped also stands for “performance enhancing drugs”, so it seemed that you were trolling. Don’t worry ;)

• CB says:

Don’t worry — I knew exactly what you meant and I imagine most others did, too. krebs2012 must be new to the site and didn’t know about the pedicure tradition. :) Vamos, Rafa!

9. beegee says:

Thanks for all of the great coverage, miri. This tournament and all others – you are awesome and this site is nirvana to Rafa fans and fanatics. ☺

10. Nwogo says:

Happy for this almost birthday mate of mine.

Looking forward to a RG as my 40th birthday present!

11. Rafacat says:

Thank you Eliana for the explanation on ped. Can you tell me what trolling is? I guess I live under a rock.

• Ch F says:

In this case, trolling would be if someone came to this site that is dedicated to Rafa and intentionally posted provocative anti-Rafa comments to make the rest of us furious.