RafaLint: May 4th

How about we start with some pictures from Madrid?

Photos by Julian Finney/Getty Images Europe.

Articles:

Videos/Audio:

Photos:

• My Monte-Carlo photos from Friday.
  • A photo from the KIA event in Barcelona – scroll down into the comments to see some more.
  • Some Rafa photos in this set from the Madrid tournament’s Facebook.

Rafa does social media:

Social media related to Rafa:

Other stuff:

You may also like...

1. koran says:

Thank you for all cool pics, Miri. Vamos Rafa.

2. JayDee50 says:

Thanks for all the articles and pictures. How lovely to see red clay back at Madrid this year. Those draw Gods sure like putting Rafa and Roger together, I really hope we get to see a SF with them as I love watching their matches, I think they push each other to play at their best (when both are healthy of course).

Very sad news about Brad Drewett – may he Rest In Peace.

• Sharon/London says:

Yes R.I.P Brad Drewitt. Life can be cruel sometimes.

So a decision has been made regarding seedings at RG so debate is now over. It will be as per the ATP rankings. I’m not surprised at the outcome considering the way Rafa has been targeted by the Parisians. When he wins it for the 8th time no one can turn round and say he was helped. I think the other 3 are more concerned about meeting Rafa in the QF rather than the other way round.

• JayDee50 says:

I’m not surprised about the seedings decision either. It’s not the outcome I wanted. I also believe their reasons for not changing the seedings are rather feeble ones, but there you go. I’d bet any money that if it was Roger in this situation it would have gone unquestioned.

Anyway, Roland Garros later on, Madrid for now, really looking forward to it, hope Rafa gains some valuable rankings points, no more shock early exits, please Rafa ;)

3. Denizen says:

The seeding drama was a non-issue for me, a kerfuffle conjured up by bored writers and bloggers. Every tournament except Wimbledon strictly uses the rankings for seedings. EVERY tournament.

Wimbledon is strange because the grass season is exactly three weeks long. Compare that to clay, for which there are more than 20 ATP tournaments scheduled over a six-month period from February through the end of July.

Apples and oranges. Moving on.

4. Ch F says:

I am relieved that Rafa didn’t get a higher seeding in RG. I never saw where that came from. And I’ll still be of the same opinion even if he doesn’t win it this year.

A healthy Rafa will win it anyway, fair and square. An unhealthy Rafa could stumble even with a No1 seeding.

Vamos Rafa. Take care of those knees.

• Sharon/London says:

That is true. He will fight to win it regardless of his ranking. I thought they would show him the respect he deserves for all that he has achieved there but they never wanted him to win 7 times anyway. How wrong was i? RG is my least favourite of the slams but Rafa’s most successful thats’s the only reason I run my life around that fortnight.

• JayDee50 says:

Your thinking is similar to mine. It was all about giving recognition to and honouring a 7-time champion there, how many of those will there be? The fact that it might have inadvertently helped Rafa was a by-product of that. I know too that he will fight in every round to win and will fight for the title should he get the chance to. My only concern is that it’s been nearly a year since he last played a 5-setter, I hope he’s fit and healthy enough to compete and give it his all.

• Ch F says:

Indeed his level of fitness in a best of 5 format remains to be seen. That is my concern as well. But even a higher ranking cannot change that…So let’s just hope the draw gods are good to him! ;-)

• Sharon/London says:

How many 5 set matches has he played at RG over the years though? I bet it isn’t many. He is so good there the matches are over in 3 or 4 sets. His opponent will tire before he will. The next couple of weeks will tell us where his physical conditioning is at I think.

• JayDee50 says:

That’s a good point, one I’d overlooked. I believe it’s only one 5 set match, in the 1R in 2011 vs Isner? Hopefully the 3 sets or 4 sets matches will continue to be the trend for Rafa.

• Ch F says:

If he faces Djokovic, I doubt it will be over in 3 or 4 sets. Nole is now excellent from 0-2 down. But I do not stress over this, I still believe if he is healthy he can beat Nole in Paris. Actually imo the best scenario would be to beat him somewhere else before Paris, so the MC defeat is not in his head, if it is, of course.

• Sharon/London says:

Rafa beat a determined fully fit Novak last year in 4 sets while he himself had knee problems. I agree Novak is very good at coming back from 0-2 down against most other players. How often has he done that against Rafa? Would be interested to know the answer.