RafaLint: January 9th
- Nadal’s Nurturing Nature Will Enable His Revival – by Chris Oddo (tennisnow.com)
- Barbadillo: “Nadal wants to come back when he feels well” – via ubitennis.com
- Brasil Open briga com Chile e Argentina nas negociações para trazer Nadal – by Gustavo Faldon (espn.br) And here’s the mangle – everyone wants Rafa.
- Nadal reprograma su calendario – via diariodemallorca.es (mangle)
- Ocho meses sin Nadal – via puntodebreak.com (mangle)
- NBA’s Dirk Nowitzki still has a passion for tennis – by Romana Cvitkovic (usatoday.com) And he likes Rafa too.
- Gone from the Australian Open, Rafael Nadal also might be missing out on greatest-ever debate – by Douglas Perry (oregonlive.com)
- Fans have right to question Nadal’s reasons for withdrawing – by Jon Wertheim (si.com)
- Murray: Djokovic-Nadal Australian Open final led to crackdown on slow play – by Courtney Nguyen (si.com) And yet, this match was voted best of the year by Tennis Channel viewers.
- Highlights of ESPN / Australian Open Conference Call – have I mentioned lately that I love Darren Cahill?
- Would Andy Murray have won a slam if Rafa Nadal had been fit? – by Simon Cambers. A question that is, regardless of the author’s assertion, irrelevant and frivolous. You can only play who’s on the other side of the net. If anything, the pressure one feels to take advantage of such an opportunity could out-weigh the apparent advantage…
- Australian Open burning questions – by Courtney Nguyen (si.com) A look at rankings repercussions for Rafa.
- Nadal the acid test for new crackdown on timewasting – by
Jo Carter (espn.co.uk) When they first started cracking down on the time limit, I started waiting for someone to say that’s why Rafa wasn’t coming back. I was, however, expecting to read that in a hater tweet, not an article on espn.
- Oops! A TV station showed a picture of Rafa when talking about a literary prize (the Premio Nadal). (Thanks, Inés)
- Parting Shot: Tennis Missing Nadal
- Learn to Return Like (Part 1): Nadal
Rafa does social media:
@locaanahiserbia espero recuperarme pronto para volver a los entrenamientos. Os iré contando. Gracias por tu apoyo
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) January 8, 2013
Mangle: “hope to recover soon to return to training. I’ll tell you. Thank you for supporting”
So…he’s not practicing now? *sigh*
- Rafa shared what looks to be an older photo of himself and his “friend Carl from Toronto.”
- He posed with Carlos Costa for some stock photography. (Sorry, this looks so much like the stock photography of “dudes seriously doing something in an office” I have to sort through on a daily basis.) Those 3 Wise Men cookies in the foreground look cute.
- Rafa enjoyed Kings Day with his family. Well, the male members of his family.
- He went to the tennis club.
Social media related to Rafa:
Atch solves the Carl-quandary:
Rafa’s friend is Karl Hale, who has been the tournament director of the Rogers Cup #mysterysolved
— Atch (@Atch2) January 9, 2013
Just met Rafa Nadal coming out of the hospital!!!!!!!!! twitter.com/saminasuit/sta…
— Sam Steele (@saminasuit) January 7, 2013
May Rafael Nadal’s comeback rival Downton Abbey’s….
— Jon Wertheim (@jon_wertheim) January 4, 2013
— sergio troncoso (@troncopages) January 2, 2013
— Ang (@4AllSurfaces) January 10, 2013
- How Lance Armstrong affected tennis – by Kamakshi Tandon (ESPN.com)