Your opinion: Rafa’s best matches
As a somewhat newly converted (2011) Rafa fan, Nils sent me an email asking what Rafa’s best 10-15 matches are. I told her my thoughts (see below), but figured you guys would have plenty of good suggestions too. So, what you do you think of when you think, “Rafa’s best matches”? They can be from any tournament or any round…
Me? I like close matches. That doesn’t necessarily mean the ones where Rafa is playing his absolute best (try the lop-sided 2008 Roland Garros final for that). I prefer the drama of a close fight or an intense match atmosphere. With that in mind, the first ones that pop into my head are:
- No matter what, you MUST see the 2008 Wimbledon final. It’s not just one of Rafa’s best matches, it’s one of the best tennis matches ever.
- The 2009 Australian Open semi-final was also pretty darn amazing.
- Follow that by watching the 2009 AO final and be amazed that Rafa was able to move, much less play and win after that semi.
- The 2010 US Open final – maybe not the best match, but I have an emotional attachment to it because I was there when he made history.
- The 2009 round of 16 match against Nalbandian at Indian Wells. Holy match points saved, Batman!
- For older matches, go for the back-to-back Rome final thrillers: 2005 and 2006.
- His first Roland Garros title in 2005.
- His 2004 Davis Cup win against Andy Roddick for two reasons: the atmosphere; a very young and exuberant Rafa.
Nana/NatalieHOHO gave me an idea – post your picks in the comments and I’ll take the matches mentioned the most frequently and then we can vote on those in a poll. Let’s see which one gets the consensus vote! (Maybe I’m just missing election drama since the US election is done.)