A bit of Rafa being besieged by the press at the Vanity Fair event:
Posted by rousvictoria.
Rafa on the red carpet (thanks to @genny_ss):
She was also kind enough to translate some of what Rafa said:
Some of the things Rafa’s said in the video of the VF red carpet: 1) He’s working hard to recover ASAP, though as we all know process’ slow
2) He’s been asked if he has a date to return. He’s said that if he knew, he would say it. He’ll return when he’s *well* recovered.
3) He’s been asked if he could be back fro the DC final. He’s insisted again that he’ll be back when he’s recovered. He’s very glad for…
.., the team, especially David, as he’s done a great effort during the whole season and deserved SF’s victories & reaching the final..
…He doesn’t know if he’ll be recovered by the time the final has to be played. 4) if you watch the video again, at 2:04 you’ll notice…
… a “funny” (to say the least!) face in Rafa: someone just mentioned the word “retirement”… Rafa says “animalada” (wild/crazy thing)…
…So, Rafa’s reaction gives a clear answer to those suggesting he’s gonna retire. 5) He’s willing to go on working to be back at top level
6) He diminishes the drama some pretend to see in his current situation. He’s injured now, yes, but has had a great career in past years &..
… has a career to care of in the near future. Injuries are part of sport. Happy to be doing what he does and work hard to return ASAP.
7) He knows that when he’s back on tour he’ll need some time to reach the level he had before injury, but is confident this is going to pass
8) He’s been asked if he considers he’s the “most important man of the year”…. he answers: “Not at all!”
- Rafa Nadal: “No sé cuánto tiempo seguiré jugando al tenis” – coverage of the VF interview from europapress. (mangle)
- Todo preparado para la gran gala de los X Premios Madrid – about the other gala/award dinner that was going on today. Appears that Rafa skipped it. (mangle)
- Nadal revels in “great era for Spanish sport” – EFE story via latino.foxnews.com
- Rafael Nadal and the future of tennis’ Golden Age – by Douglas Perry, The Oregonian
- Davis Cup Semi Wrap-up
- Slightly wayback machine: fan video of Rafa v. Tsonga, Miami: serving (says it’s one of three, but it’s the only in the series I see) and receiving.
Hey, guys – we have a bit of a problem. The sites that had large-format non-watermarked images have just about all gone away. Why? People like me weren’t supposed to be taking them and uploading them. I knew what I was doing was not kosher, but I drew my line at: the images had to retain all embedded copyright info, be from professional sites where I know the photographer was paid for the work, and I properly credited the photographer. Again, not kosher, but where I drew my lines. I haven’t found a site that meets these requirements yet (especially the embedded info – which is essential to me since I feel strongly that all pictures should be trackable to the people who took them), so I’ll mainly be posting links to images. There are other Rafa fan sites who draw their lines differently, so seek those out for the photos.
- Photos from the Vanity Affair event from: Corbis, Getty Images 1, Getty Images 2, Zimbio gallery 1, and Zimbio gallery 2.
Rafa does social media:
- Rafa shared a post workout photo.
- Proving he too trolls YouTube when bored, Rafa posted a link to a video of lucky golf shots.
- Half way into the ceremony, Rafa let us know he was on his way to it.
Tweets about Rafa:
Con Rafa Nadal en el Consulado de Italia en la fiesta de vanity Fair !! twitter.com/BigPhotographe…
— BigPhotographer (@BigPhotographer) September 17, 2012