RafaLint: June 7th

Photo by THOMAS COEX/ AFP/ GettyImages

Everyone ready for the semis? Rafa’s first up at 1pm local time…just 7 hours away.

Articles:

I give up. I’m marking everything read in my RSS Reader.

Videos:

Photos:

Rafa does social media:

Tweets about Rafa:

You may also like...

1. Ch F says:

Rafa explains in his book that the habits help him calm down and also isolate himself from his surroundings. It is so hard to keep your calm and concentration with a roaring audience and millions watching. Apparently he needs these habits to recreate some sort of comfort zone. Sounds logical to me. It’s hard to understand the mechanics of it but if it works for him, no problem for me!

I also think he has been adjusting the front of his shorts a lot more lately. I dare not even begin to imagine what might be the reason ;-)

• Melissa says:

If you are O/C yourself, or live with someone who is, you may recognize the tics and their purpose. Arranging the bottles, and all the othe compulsive acts, enable him to channel the anxiety and distractions into a sidelines structure for the space he inhabits during a match. If he has his bottles in just the right place, then he doesn’t have to think about them during a break, when he must give all his mind to other things. When he does the same routine prior to a serve, he not only makes sure that he won’t be blinded by sweat or hair or limited in his movements (a good reason to go back to sleeveless), he calms his nerves with the familiarity and siphons off distractions again.

To eliminate them during the season would require so much attention that his game would suffer. As a fan, I can live with them. Outside the game court, he’s a lot less compulsive, apparently — and not surprisingly.

• Ch F says:

I agree and I never thought he should change his routine. I don’t mind it at all. If he feels he should change it because that would do him good, I’m all for it. But he shouldn’t do it for any other reason.

2. moon says:

still mad at tsong….if hed just played right joker would have been in uk now :(…but rafa will beat him in finals and it will make the victory even more thrilling….dont understand y ppl r underestimating fed so much… joker is not at his best and fed can beat him that is not such hard to imagine

3. Julie says:

anyone know where to watch online streaming of Rafa and Daveeed in the US?? Tennis channel is not streaming:( help?

4. Annie says:

Most players have habits. Fed makes the same exact motion of sweeping his hair out of the way. Rafa just has a few more of them and they’re a little odd so he gets all this attention about it.

It’s a non-issue as far as I’m concerned.

I wasn’t able to watch the semi because of no coverage (which I find mind-boggling). Nole looked in good form against Fed but I don’t think it will be enough on Sunday. Rafa is playing with such colm and confidence and the serve is clicking!

Mmm, those black and white photos are just beautiful. The one of the back with the scar gives me goose bumps. In both a good and a bad way (that scar is like a crater!). Oh, and somebody’s getting a bit of a hairy back I think. :)