Barcelona: Peach Pride

Photo by David Ramos/ Getty Images

Rafa played #20 Fernando Verdasco today in the semifinals of Barcelona. I missed all but the last game of the first set, but the score says volumes about the level play. (Twitter peeps seemed to sum it up this way: Rafa playing well, Verdasco okay and not at his 2009 best). Verdasco’s game improved in the second set, but it still wasn’t enough. Today Rafa once again proved that unless a player can find another gear against him on clay, they are toast. He’s through to the final where he will meet David Ferrer: 6-0, 6-4.

I never thought Rafa would pay so much attention to me when I said that he shouldn’t feel the need to dilly-dally just so I could watch part of the match. I should tell him that more often! Oh, the title is from @Ataraxis who replied to my “just got some peachy toenails” tweet last night with that phrase.

Stats:

Nadal Verdasco
Statistics on Serve
Aces 2 0
Double Faults 1 2
1st Serve % 70% 76%
1st Serve Points Won 29/35 (83%) 20/38 (53%)
2nd Serve Points Won 7/15 (47%) 5/12 (42%)
Break Points Saved 4/4 (100%) 4/8 (50%)
Service Games Played 8 8
Statistics on Return
1st Return Points Won 18/38 (47%) 6/35 (17%)
Second Return Points Won 7/12 (58%) 8/15 (53%)
Break Points Won 4/8 (50%) 0/4 (%)
Return Games Played 8 8
Statistics on Points
Total Service Points Won 36/50 (72%) 25/50 (50%)
Total Return Points Won 25/50 (50%) 14/50 (28%)
Total Points Won 61/100 (61%) 39/100 (39%)

You may also like...

1. I’m glad you got to finish your walk/run just in time. Ferru played
    the better semi today, but so thrilled that Rafa will get to play his 7th Barca final. Vamos!

2. Tommy says:

vamos Rafa , i hope he lifts Barcelona title once again and then he goes after yet anither successful clay swing which i hope he manages to win madrid and rome ans eventually RG

VAMOS RAFAAAAAAA!!

3. Nana says:

Perfect 1st set from Rafa! He may have consciously or unconsciously loosened up a bit in the 2nd… anyway, a nice win and we’re in the final! Now we like the number 7! Vamos Rafa!

4. Serin says:

Quote : “Perfect 1st set from Rafa! He may have consciously or unconsciously loosened up a bit in the 2nd”

That’s exactly what I thought Nana.. After the bagel, he may have done just that..I say consciously ! :)

On to the Seventh trophy , Rafa ! VAMOS !

5. rafafan says:

Yep Rafa was really awesome in the first set. I think his rythmn was slightly upset in the second due to the rain and damp conditions. He went off the boil a bit. But the first set he was like an express train – wonder if it had anything to do with getting the job done quickly to see his beloved Real Madrid match? Coz I haven’t seen him come out of the blocks so fast. I was watching it on sky TV and the commies even hinted that Rafa was making a statement to Nando – as if there was some history between them, some sort of needle. Can’t see it myself, the only thing I could think of that Nando likes the bright lights of the city and Rafa the quiet life, but on the tennis court its in reverse!

Glad Rionic lost today – I think he would have caused more trouble for Rafa than Ferrer will tomorrow. Hope I don’t jinx it or eat my words. Enjoy all you fellow rafa fans for hopefully another final win tomorrow – no 7 Barcelona title. Vamos x

6. RAFAFAN says:

Poor Ferru played for almost (or is it) 5 hours the last two matches. Hope he recover well to play his best tomorrow. Can’t decide who I want to win – Rafa already got 6 titles and Ferru, played 4 finals and has none. May the best on the day bite the trophy.

• Ch F says:

As much as I like Daveed, I still want Rafa to bite this one ;-) I hope it’s a good match cause Rafa seems to thrive in those!

anti-jinx anti-jinx anti-jinx

7. Karen Mutch says:

I know. If I could cope with Rafa losing to anyone it would be Ferrer.

• Isabelle says:

Yeah, I agree. IF Rafa looses I will be happy for Daveeed, I almost wanted Raonic to win so that David wouldn’t have to face another final defeat in a tourney he realllly wants to win…time will tell.

8. Karen Mutch says:

and it looks like Marc! will be another Spanish finalist along with Marcel…..yippee

• Ramara says:

Yep! I’m really happy for Marc! He’s been doing amazingly well. :-)

As for Rafa-Ferru, I can’t root against Rafa but if Daveed does win I’ll be happy for him.

9. eli says:

in set1 Rafa’s level was amazingly high. 6-0: what a beatdown!
    then, and understandingly, his focus dropped a bit, and I guess he mentally checked out of the match which was getting embarassing, for Verdasco and for the eerily quite crowd.
    as for tomorrow, I reckon it depends on how much he wants it after all, but the match is totally on his racquet!

10. elyza says:

Rafa está demostrando porqué es el rey de la tierra batida, y este año se va a llevar todos los trofeos en esta superficie

11. johnf says:

missed the match – does anyone have a link to the highlights (or better yet the whole first set!! I’d love to watch Rafa on a roll!!)

12. leslie says:

I just can’t cheer against Rafa even if it is Daveed! I think a win here is really important for Rafa’s confidence going forward to the 2 tournaments he lost to Djokovic last year…and French Open. David has won 3 tournaments already this year so Vamos Rafa- All the Way! Todo el camino!

• leslie says:

Actually I guess Rafa said it best; ‘I wish David the best just not tomorrow’.
      Rafa is going for history again – 7th Barcelona and 77th consecutive clay court win in the month of April. And he could really use those ranking points.

13. Silhouette says:

It was fantastic seeing Rafa on a roll in the first set. He was so focused and full of concentrate. But felt a bit bad for Verdasco, with the bagel. Just a wee bit.
    Hope Rafa continues to have a good run on clay! Vamos!

14. Eva says:

Yeah I feel for Ferrer. He is an awesome clay court player but he loses to Rafa like each and every time. I wonder what his mentality will be tomorrow.

• Kathy says:

Love Daveed, he is so good. “Born too Late” and old old song–he is playing in Rafa’s era and Rafa is the Dream Smasher on clay.

15. Serin says:

Rafa is called “THE WORLD’S HOTTEST PLAYER” in some reviews.
    He has to keep rolling on, has to be on-fire and win, win, win..
    He has to forget the finals he lost in 2011.

He has won one trophy (MC) this year whereas David has 3 of them.

As much as I like David , I can never cheer for him when he plays
    vs Rafa.

VAMOS RAFA ! Bite that 7th trophy ! :)

16. Serin says:

Video of the full semifinal. (sorry if it’s a duplicate)

17. Stephanie says:

VAMOS RAFA!! I LOVE YOU !!:)
    Rafa played well yesterday let’s hope he can do the same today !!:) VAMOS!!!