RafaLint: February 14th
Today’s recommended reading:
Fan Club: Rafael Nadal – by Steve Tignor and Katrina. Katrina’s reasons for liking Rafa are very similar to mine…including her first reaction to him. :)
I remember one press conference in particular, after he lost early at Key Biscayne in 2006. Rafa said at some point that he was “going to use all six of his senses” to get better. He was informed by his publicist, Benito, that there are only five senses. Rafa didn’t blink. “I’ll have to find one more,” he said (or something to that effect). He did it with such a comically serious face, everyone laughed. You had to like him. And you half-believed he was going to do it.
Yes. You have to like him.
I also agree that choosing a favorite tennis player is rarely a conscious decision. After all, I love serve and volley tennis and, intellectually, you’d think I’d lean towards players who play that style. And yet in the Borg/McEnroe days, I was Borg. Loved John’s game; loved Borg. In the Edberg/Wilander days, I was always Wilander. Always. Samprass/Agassi? Didn’t like either and pretty much stopped watching tennis for awhile. You pick a favorite with your gut, not your head.
- Nadal sopesa jugar la Davis contra Austria – by Jesús Minguez (as.com). Per the mangle, it sounds like Rafa’s a definite maybe for DC this spring. Definite. Maybe. It depends.
- Nadal y Ferrer entregan una réplica de la Copa Davis a los Reyes – by Almudena Martínez-Fornés (abc.es); includes a video. (mangle)
- El Rey bromea con Rafa Nadal: «Estos de los guiñoles son tontos» – via abc.es (mangle)
- Rajoy, sobre los guiñoles: “No hay mayor desprecio que no hacer aprecio” – via cuatro.com. (Thanks, Nana – mangle)
- Nadal says Spain overreacted to TV show – from skynews
- Sports minister: Spain has doping problem – AP via USA Today. It is difficult to argue against the idea that Spain kind of shot itself in the foot with their handling of “Operation Puerto” – this is the case many people point to when they say they do not trust that Spain has a tough stance on doping. They now have an uphill battle to show that they do mean business.
- Marc López: “Nadal juega conmigo en dobles más que nada por amistad” – by Eugenio G. Delgado (20minutos.es). Marc! (mangle) (I think it was Atch2 who retweeted this? Not sure. Original tweeter was @eugenioGdelgado.)
- Rajoy: “El mayor desprecio es no hacer aprecio” – europapress coverage of the DC meeting. The Prime Minister says thanks.
- El rei Joan Carles expressa el seu suport a Rafel Nadal – iB3 coverage (mangle)
- Rajoy rep part de l’equip guanyador de la Copa Davis – more from the iB3 (mangle).
- iB3 coverage of the SI photos.
Rafa does social media:
- Rafa let us know about his busy day and gave his DC teammates a hug.
Tweets about Rafa:
And, here’s a few small photos from Rafa’s day:
Photos by SUSANA VERA/AFP/Getty Images and AP Photo/Paul White