DC: Spain sweeps Kazakhstan 5-0

Who says you need 3 days to play a Davis Cup tie? The Armada don’t need no three days. Nope. Take away Rafa, Daveeed, Feli, and Nando and they still don’t need 3 days. How awesome is that? True, they were playing a young team who are fairly new to the World Group, but it’s still a very, very good new. They are through to the next round where they will play Austria tie in Spain on April 6th – 8th.

And I admit it…I squeeed a bit when Marc! took to the court in his first DC match and then again when they won. Marc!’s DC winning percentage: 100%. ;)

1st Rubber: Ferrero d. Kukushkin 6-1, 4-6, 7-6(2), 4-6, 6-4
2nd Rubber: Almago d. Golubev 6-3, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3rd Rubber: Granollers/M Lopez d. Korolev/Schukin 6-2, 6-3, 6-1
4th Rubber: Almagro d. Korolev 6-3, 6-4
5th Rubber: Granollers d. Golubev 6-3, 6-7(2), 6-3

3rd Rubber match report: Spain win at a canter – by Alexandra Willis (daviscup.com). I think Marc! is happy.

Video:

Photos:

• Dutchgirl gives us a flashback by posting her photos from last year’s Spain/Belgium tie.

And, just because I think he’s adorable, some Marc! photos:

You may also like...

1. Sapphireswell says:

Thanks for posting this, despite it not being Rafacentric :D! Marc! And Marcel looked fierce out there, so much more so than the LoVer pair at the semis and finals. I hope this lineup gets more court time and really show everyone that the current roster isn’t something to sneeze at. B Team? Pshhhh!

I also love that Team Adorable isn’t afraid to show their dance moves :). That Marc! is wonderful, and Marcel is the best cheerleaders. Look at him pump up the crowd with his flappy jazz hands XD. I love it! Wonder what would happen if they played Moves Like Jagger. Would Marc! sing?

Vamos, chicos!

2. Inés says:

Here there is another video of Marc, his very first speech in Davis Cup in Belgium, he was so funny, he gave thanks to Ferru because “thanks to him the team can won the tie”, LOL he said too that ” he has contribuited less than me, I think….” remember that Ferru can’t play because he had a minor injury in his neck……. In the video there is a bit more of the dance…

Marc first speech at Davis Cup

3. killian says:

That is one gorgeous group of happy men. LOVE them.

4. Ginny says:

Loved watching the match yesterday, even though the stream wasn’t the greatest. The commentator kept talking about how awesome Marc! was playing. It was great.

5. Emmanuelle says:

And 5-0 for Spain ! So happy for them ! This team is wonderful !

The double match yesterday was fantastic. I hope we will see Marc in Davis Cup again !

Great matches today as well, great fighting spirit even if there was no stake.

Bravo !

6. Susanna728 says:

Me too – so happy for them. Marc is beyond adorable. His smiling face sends warmth in all directions. Also, I swear that’s the first time I’ve ever seen Juan Carlos smile that much. It’s great that he has another chance to be a DC hero. I always think about how hard it must have been for him in 2004 when they subbed in that little upstart Rafael Nadal.

• leslie says:

Yes – Bravo to this Spanish team of different faces who made their country proud. A perfect debut for Marc! Especially happy for Juan Carlos – I agree Susanna – it must have been brutal for Juan Carlos to be pulled in 2004 in favour of Rafa. Have only heard positives from him about Rafa- he certainly appears to be a class act. Here’s hoping he has a successful injury free 2012 ! and the ALL the rest of the Armada too! Vamos to each of them!

7. ds says:

Sweet and cute but not quite gorgeousness level as the previous team.

• Keith says:

OH I think they are sweet enough; how can anyone not be charmed by Marc? And he can play a mean game of Tennis even without his mate Rafa. Pity Rafa cannot play more doubles with him.

8. Keith says:

Well as some Frenchies would say, “the Spanish win for a reason”; yes Monsieur, they are better than you, even without the number 2 of the world to do the fighting!! Viva Espana!

9. patzin says:

I saw the doubles match; Marc was really focused and clearly enjoyed playing on the team for his country. He definitely responded to being chosen for the equipo. Much joy for him and Marcel, they made a good doubles team, worked well together. Yes Kaz was perhaps not expected to win, but the ‘Team B guys’ did great winning in ‘straight’ matches.

Very nice. Alex was quite happy with his first Tie as Captain. Everyone looked pleased.

Congrats to the Armada, especially the new Captain Alex. Great effort from all team members.

I only watched the dubs but my stream was so blurry, but I could clearly tell which was Marc! from his nonstop moving feet waiting to return serve. And although the other Spanish guys didn’t play, it was great to read they tweeted their support & congratulations to the team. And from those tweets we learnt their nicknames. Marcel is Marcy, and Marc! is Bulet (short & fat).

Vamos against Austria in April!

11. Keith says:

Marc! does not look fat to me. Strange how people get their apellations!