RafaLint: September 7th
Well, today wasn’t a fun day of watching tennis on TV. But I’m sure it really wasn’t fun for the players, fans on the site or the people working at the tournament. After a short bit of slipping and sliding, play was stopped and never got started again – despite many efforts. When they stopped, Rafa was down 0-3 to Muller.
But first, some fun on an otherwise dreary day:
- Intro that aired pre-match.
- Rafa’s pre-match interview.
- Grumpy Rafa on court.
- Grumpy players leaving the Ref’s office – love the stare and headshake from Rafa
- An interview with Rafa about the situation: on the ESPN site or on YouTube. (If neither of those work for you, try this.
- Also, Roddick and Murray’s interviews about the playing conditions.
- Men’s stars lash US Open tennis officials – by Tom Wald (AAP)
- Rafael Nadal leads revolt over ‘dangerous’ courts by Kevin Mitchell (The Guardian)
- USTA’s communication concerning to players by Courtney Nguyen (si.com)
- La escalera de Nadal by Juan Jose Mateo (elpais.com). (Mangle)
- Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Andy Roddick voice concerns over conditions as rain threatens tournament by Liz Clarke (Washington Post)
- Perilous conditions stir controversy by Greg Garber (espn.com)
- The Power of ESPN by Reeves Wiedeman (The New Yorker)
- Nice photos from Nida
- In the far back of this photo, you can see Rafa playing foosball with Ferrer (photo by MurrayMom)
- Some photos from today’s 3 games can be found at the US Open site
- Nadal Reveals the Toll of Being a Top-Tier Athlete in ‘Rafa’ by Des Shoe (NY Times)
Best tweet of the day:
The award goes to…Serena:
Preach @RafaelNadal preach! My Fellow Booty Brother!!! #gobigbutts lol
And, finally, a few photos from today:
Photos by TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images, Chris Trotman/Getty Images, Jared Wickerham/Getty Images for USTA, and REUTERS/Kena Betancur