Toronto & Cincy?

According to the Google mangling of this article/video, Rafa will play both tournaments.

The video has interviews with Toni and Emilio Sanchez who appear to have taken part in some sort of “Tennis Congress” per this video and title.

And for those of us who are confused about the differences in hard courts, Mind the Racket tries to break things down for us. Problem is, there’s still confusing info out there.

You may also like...

1. Inés says:

Yep, Tío Toni has said that Rafa will play both Masters and he has said that the treatment of the knees are going well

2. Fay says:

Thanks for the translation Ines, there is so much speculation and diverse opinions at the moment, its driving me nuts browsing the net.

3. Fay says:

Oh and thanks for the h/c breakdown article Miri, its an interesting read! and goes to show how criminal it is how they use so much of this injury inducing surface for so many tournaments now, bad for the players thus bad for the sport no?

4. jodiecate says:

“The grand slam is the only American missing from the collection of Christmas … and although the gravel is not your most favorite would have it on your Palm.”

LLOL… these translations just crack me up!!

I’m glad he’s playing both. I think the more match practice on the hard courts he gets the more confident he’s gonna be for USO. I got a feeling the knees are gonna be alright.

5. Emma R says:

I am sort of just thinking now that if he plays, he plays, if he doesn’t, he doesn’t.

Obviously I hope that he does and that his treatment works very well, but last year I got my self into such a frenzy of “Will he, won’t he” that I have learned my lesson and am not doing that again. So there:)

Missing tennis hellishly. More so than usual which is odd cos Rafa didn’t play Queens or Wimbledon last year and the wait was everlasting.

6. natch says:

“Rafa will play both tournaments.”

Miri,

Is that your heart pounding again I’m hearing? ;)

7. Rafafan says:

It’s strange isn’t that the majority of Rafa fans DO NOT want him playing 3 in a row!- yet we can’t get enough of him and at the moment we are a bit distraught, as there is nothing really about Rafa anywhere. Perhaps we “mother” him too much or that we just study him too much and understand him. He being stubborn and all that, think that the knees treatment are going to be the next thing since “sliced bread” and yet he hasn’t even tried it out yet and committing to all these tourneys. Shake head, show fists…… Will he ever learn? no?

8. Gottakeeprunning says:

I guess we will have to wait and see. One thing none of us have ever been able to do is to read between the lines. My feeling is that depending on he does in Toronto will influence the decision about Cinci. It would be most undiplomatic for Toni or Rafa to say anything different to what they are saying right now, but that is just a gut feeling I have.

9. Nana says:

I think both are mandatory events. It’s the only thing sensible to say at this moment.

• rubik says:

Yes, the Rogers Cup – Cincinnati – US Open tournaments(Rogers Cup and Cincinnati in reverse order for the ladies) are not only the standard, but also the mandatory h/c trilogy for all professional players at this point in the tennis season. Other than serious health considerations, no reason not to follow this route for ATP/WTA players, Nadal included. So I agree with you 100% on this one, “It’s the only thing sensible to say at this moment.”

10. rubik says:

Speaking of the tennis h/c trilogy coming up, it seems the top ATP/WTA players are all switching to darker colours for their US Open outfits, at least according to the following:

• Nana says:

Although I prefer to see Rafa in bright colours, I don’t mind black so much. But the design this time is too fussy! (but then, nothing can beat that waffle cone/giraffe print shorts from earlier this year….)

• Emma R says:

I like it – I have always liked him in black as I think it makes him look all sort of lurky and sinister. Those tops look designed to emphasise the shoulders so I look forward to drooling over them.

• slt says:

I’m hoping the black is for the night matches. It is so hot here at the moment. And I don’t see the heat wave going away at the end of August.

• rubik says:

The most amazing part was that even with those shorts on, Nadal turned out to be the only top 4 ATP player to make it to the semifinals during that Masters 1000 at Indian Wells in March 2010. Unreal!

Good that Nadal did switch to white shorts for the doubles tournament with Marc L. so that he got to bite the 2010 IW doubles trophy with Marc!

Nadal and Marc L. looked cute, I thought, in their outfits for the doubles tournament at Queens last month. I didn’t see their match there and saw only one picture of Nadal and Marc L. together on court at Queens, but I’m fairly sure it was here on miri’s site in one of the comments posted during the 2010 Queens tournament. Really nice photo.