RG: Round of 16 presser

Photo by REUTERS/Thierry Roge

Video and a transcript of the presser can be found on The Official Roland Garros site. He seems to be pretty happy with his game but feels his shots still lack depth.

Q. Despite your excellent results, despite the fact that you’ve not yet lost any sets, you’re not boasting about it. You’re not that happy.

RAFAEL NADAL: What do you want me to say? Do you want me to jump and shout?

*snort*

1. Eliana says:

Wow! Rafa’s really pissy in the pressers…LOVE IT!

2. tiemyshoe says:

That comment’s kinda funny, because he totally did jump and shout after Bellucci netted that matchpoint. He’s just too dignified to do it at the presser. ;)

3. loverafa4ever says:

Rafa looked really cute when one of the guys told him that Belluci’s opponent was also good. He gave a very sweet smile. And he promised that we will get to see a Nadal/Almagro quarterfinal when a guy asked if we could see a Nadal/fed final. hehe… funny Rafa. :D

4. Stf says:

It’s annoying that they keep asking the same questions over and over again. It’s like they’re deliberately trying to pit Rafa against Fed or Soderling when we’re hardly in the quarterfinals. Or, like they’re trying to make him say that he was not as good today or that he could’ve played better. Or, that he is the best and he can beat anyone. Like they have to get some sort of comment they could write about in weeks to come. I can only imagine how annoyed he must be at times.

• kefuoe says:

I think it’s particularly bad at the Slam events because they garner much broader coverage, not just tennis or sports journalists. It’s much more likely that journalists who don’t cover tennis all year round are there. That said, I do agree that it would be nice for someone to come up with a new or different story line to pursue.

5. Susanna728 says:

I also really liked it when he said (after the jump and shout comment) ‘I try and be myself, and this is it.’ Interesting that he said he thought this was his best match. ‘Cause he also said he hit a lot of short balls, which is what I kept seeing. I was never worried that he would lose the match, but it didn’t look like his best. Rafa seemed to construct the points well but then would end with an UFE, and of course he got broken so easily several times. Maybe watching on TV it’s difficult to judge how much the wind affects everything, and how much the slow conditions keep his shots from jumping up as high on the opponent. I guess, from his point of view, given the conditions, he felt like he played well. And how he feels is most important. Wishin’ hopin’ and prayin’ for sun!

6. teejustice says:

This is one of my favorite Rafa pressers! LOL…he’s a bit snarky in English and Spanish but real at the same time. I think his answers now are also a way of lobbying them to ask new questions vs the same stuff that he will give the same non-answer to.

7. robert says:

Well, he WAS pretty happy with that backhand passing shot after a long defense-to-ofense-and-back rally.

But the intense vamossing, double fistpumping and punching air at the end of the sequence for emphasis was well warranted. Finally he clinched one of his trademark shots, previously denied him because of wet surface & heavy low-bouncing balls, but more importantly, because of him being wary for months of fully pushing wide on his right knee.

Clinching this means he’s confident his knees are OK. And it means warm weather is here and with it his beloved high bounce that will make balls easier to get to.

No wonder he went crazy with celebrations.

And, journos should be aware by now they won’t get from him “I played fantastic, I amaze myself, I always knew I’m so talented, when talk about tennis you talk about me”.

8. Maria says:

I was able to see only the first set of the match, so I have no idea about how it actually went for him yesterday. I had to watch the interview vid with the volume muted not to disturb those around me. I don’t have time to read the whole presser. :-< The circumstances being so pathetic, all I can say is that:
    I’m happy he got past this match, past this stage
    The more I see him in dark grey/black, the better I think those colours suit him
    I would love to see that backhand passing shot at 5 all. Hopefully, it’s posted somewhere.