RG: Interview on French TV + Karaoke [Updated]

He looks so constipated and worried about what they are saying when they are talking about him in French.

Updated – oops, looks like there was a Part 1 that was posted after Part 2. Both are now here.

Andy’s karaoke? Heee! Rafa’s reaction to the whole karaoke thing? SquishyTM!

Posted by kendalleve.

(TM by alhm)

1. kefuoe says:

So at the begining they are talking about this article in L’Equipe wherein a “jury” voted him the best of all time on clay: http://bit.ly/9kCjot

Even without a translation, you can see how the voting went and how each of the panel members voted. Of the 17 who voted, 7 put Borg above Nadal (Uncle Toni was one of those 7).

• rubik says:

kerfuoe, thanks for the interesting article in L’Équipe concerning the ranking of the best ATP clay players of the tennis open era according to this panel.

There was also an interesting article by Marianne Bevis on the b/r bleacher report site last Friday, entitled “From Ice Maiden to Ice Borg: Top 10 French Open Players Span the Globe”, which discussed French Open champions, both women and men, over the history of the tournament. The article is in slide format, one slide per country and per gender (for ex., USA women; Spanish men; etc.).

Among other things:

1. The author’s summary on Nadal (on slide 10):

“But since 2005, it’s been all about one man, Rafael Nadal, who celebrated his 19th birthday by winning his first French title at his first attempt. It began an unbroken streak of 31 matches, a record.

And in Nadal, all those qualities that have brought clay court success to so many before him, are combined in near-perfect balance. Superb athleticism and speed, the heaviest of top-spin baseline game, powerful on both wings, and with an unquenchable desire to win.

He now has other tools in his arsenal, too, such as Navratilova’s sliced backhand, Graf’s forward mobility and angled forehand, Borg’s willingness to attack the net to prevent his opponent from doing so.

And still Nadal evolves, adding the tactical sharpness of the best clay-courter of them all, Chris Evert.”

2. Two countries have produced numerous French Open champions in both women’s and men’s singles over the years: USA (women: 13 titles, including Navratilova after she gained US citizenship, and men: 4 titles) as well as Spain (women: 3 titles and men: 10 titles).

• rubik says:

Very, very sorry, I mispelled your name in the previous comment: I meant “kefuoe” !

2. kefuoe says:

And by the way, it’s hard enough to try to follow this with the simultaneous languages going on. Do we really need the random roaring crowd noise, too?

3. tiemyshoe says:

Man does he love wearing pink in Paris!

Was his constipation face due to a question about doping (they mentioned L’Euipe) or about the crowd (I think there was a snippet of booing/whistling)? Either question has now become standard whenever Rafa steps foot in France, and both make me cringe.

Now, why did no one make Rafa sing ‘Gypsy’ in the karaoke booth? What a crime.

4. LA says:

I notice that they talk more than he did, I thought the interview was with him…the French Open is easily becoming my least favorite, they annoy me. Can’t wait for Rafa to take a bite out of La Coupe once more :D

5. Nana says:

The girl next to Rafa (interpretor?) looks sheepish and like she has a crush on Rafa ;P

How many times I wish they used subtitles instead of dubbing? Maybe because I’m Asian and have been brought up on subtitles, I always prefer to hear the person speak even when I don’t understand the language.

• robert says:

The girl nex to him (blonde in orange top) is Tatiana Golovin, (non)retired French WTA player.

• Atch2 says:

If I was her I would’ve been tempted to put my hand on one of Rafa’s exposed thighs. I mean coming into the studio in shorts is just asking for it.

Awww… He blushes just thinking about the karaoke thing!
    So. Cute. I. Almost. Died. <3 <3 <3

The blonde chick is totally in love with him. I would be the same. Totally. :D

• An says:

Oh me too…. it would be totaly embarassing iff i was to sit so close to him for a television interview;) I would be playing with my hair and so ( you know the stuff we women do when we’re talking with a man we like ), like all the time!!

7. Inés says:

I have to laugh the two difference answers of Rafa about Soderling, ( well, it’s more than the how he said than the what, lol) here, robin is a shy guy, he never saluted because of this…….., and in the Spanish video of “el larguero” , he said, he is not my type of guy, almost saying, he is so stupid guy….lol. Obviously he can speak more freely in Spanish and with the Spanish reporters, no so diplomatic as here

8. TeamNadal says:

LOVE the music in the first video….”El Capitalismo Foraneo” by the Gotan Project.

I can’t wait to see Rafa’s karaoke this year!!!

Rafadorable to the MAXIMUM. Makes me want to pinch his cheeks, he’s so cute.

Hope they also bring back the photobooth.

One of the interviewers looks to me like Fed’s younger brother.

10. bardant says:

Rafa was so cute and i found he looked very relax and smiling a lot ;) Refreshing Rafa

11. Tiffany says:

So did they ask him about the doping in tennis and why has the video been blocked. By the way it has also been blocked on youtube…something to hide?

It’s been removed from YouTube for copyright infringement – the French TV channel asked that YouTube remove it.