RG: Overwrought promo

They can’t say his name right nor do they know how many sets were in last year’s Soderling match, but they are all about the predicting…and the super dramatic scripts and serious voice overs. *rolls eyes*

And Brad babbles on more here.

1. loverafa4ever says:

Tired of these promos… rafa, 4 time champion, only loss coming here last year to *crap crap*… grrr.. enough of this espn… its a new year, new season, new French open. People are tired of hearing this, dont know why people are not tired of saying it.

I like Brad..he is alwayz very happy to see Rafa play well… But he does talk a lot.. :)

2. tiemyshoe says:

I’m just happy that whoever composes the Dramatic Muzak at ESPN is earning his paycheck this week.

3. ang says:

I might be the only one that if you actually listen to the words they are kinda poignant and mostly true. You also have to understant that they are just doing there job.

• tiemyshoe says:

I’m with ya – after all, overwrought sports promos are what the majors are all about! Same as the mushy “human interest” pieces during the Olympics. The music, the narration, the stock footage of clouds breaking in the sky … all signs that a major event is here.

And the line about how Rafa fell in ’09 and has spent the last year trying to get up totally got to me, not gonna lie. I’m just glad they didn’t repeat that footage of him taking the tumble during Sod match. :'(

Aaaand then BG said “ruthFULLY” and I was back to rolling my eyes back in my head. ;)

• ang says:

Glad that I am not alone. I am a self admitting fluff-whore thats why I love the Majors and the Olympics because display what sports are at there core, a human interest story waiting to be written. The part about how he fell in ’09 and is getting back up really got me to so much so that it brought tears to my eyes.

See, I totally loathe those Olympic profiles. I don’t need to know that Billy Bob had a debilitating hang nail when he was a kid and that’s why he decided to become a world class curler.

The drama should come from the competition, there’s no need to fluff things up with hyperbole. The coverage of the Olympics/Slams in the US is about 30% touching profiles, 30% talking heads yammering about crap, 20% actual competition with US athletes, 10% competition with non-US athletes. Just show the darn sport.

• tiemyshoe says:

Don’t you know if the networks show the unadorned drama of real life without exaggeration, the terrorists win?

All I can hear in my head when watching this is Rafa’s voice during that silly US Open promo with John McEnroe from a couple of years ago:

“Pfffttt… This is ridiculous…”.

Otherwise I’m all for anything pompous and over dramatic. God bless the Americans, no? ;)

5. dk says:

It is getting a bit boring reading all the talk (hype?) about a Nadal-Fed final. Let’s just wait and see what happens toward end of next week. I don’t remember another major in the last few years with so much hype about the two players making it to the final… Too much news selling.

6. sia says:

Love it! Gushing about Rafa … Love it! Can’t get enough.

7. Fay says:

Oh they still haven’t gotten over Rafa losing to Soderling for the 1st time @ RG last year have they? its driving me nuts, yes I know they are doing there job but god the pressure and hype around Rafa is immense.. at least Brad says at the end that lets wait and see what happens and concentrate on the 1st round and like they have to win 6 matches bla bla bla..
    Today on sky sports Greg Rudestski (british former no.1) says that he cannot wait to see Rafa tommorow and how he is going to feel coming back to Paris! I don’t think that he is a fan of Rafa’s tennis btw! this really ticked me off! probably because I think that Rafa is going to be nervous anyway, and btw does anyone know why Rafa has his 1st match on Suzanne Longen court? and not Chatrier? I know he plays on their sometimes at RG but in the 1st round? it seems a little strange being a former 4 times champ?

8. MJ says:

I actually kinda like the promo…I am a sucker for pictures and sappy music…The woman ESPN hired for tennis is AWFUL!!!!!!! Brad just makes me laugh…already tired of all the commentary…oy, and it is only day 2…Will just focus on our beautiful boy and his tennis…