Madrid: More tidbits…

Oh yes, it’s the tournament that keeps on giving. First up, two nice flickr photo sets:

Oooh, all the shy smiles and then the finishing wink:

The ATP site has posted an article called The Rafa Renaissance by Joel Drucker. It’s a nice sum-up up of Rafa’s past year and what his recent clay season run means to him and his future. And while you are over there, check out the new Shark Bites column with its sum-up of Rafa’s awesome stats and the effect Roland Garros could have on the #1 ranking.

1. kefuoe says:

How strange of Drucker to refer to Nadal as a “kindly Catholic boy”. I’ve always thought of him as being particularly irreligious, perhaps reflecting Uncle Toni’s own belief system.

Perhaps his making the same misguided assumption I’ve made about people from Spain in the past. Rafa has said he’s not very religious.

• ava says:

Like miri I too used to think Rafa was a practising Catholic but then in his Times blog he said he isn’t religious and in some other interview he was almost bordering on atheistic. He seems to share Toni’s perspective on this.
      I don’t know if the family is Catholic or practising.

2. An says:

OMG… you did warn us Miri…. but the pics in the 2nd set…smokin hot indeed!!

The one where he gets up after his dive into the clay… He is, he must be, an animal after all;) *faints*

3. Maria says:

Haha! I’ve just quit smoking so I should stay away from those pics. On a second thought…I’ve made it through all Rafa’s matches on clay this season without any cigarette so I should be safe. Hopefully :d.
    The vid is so nice. Loved the smiles during that TVE interview – innocent, but not quite.

4. EJL says:

it means that Rafa stays at Palacio del Retiro Hotel in Madrid no? cutie Rafa munching into the street or maybe he had to quit his meal not to be late for an appointment.

My fav pic is in blogpocket of the closeup of Rafa in his hoodie with the curly tousled hair.

Also luv the pics of Rafa on the ground, and relaxed looking waiting for the prize ceremony, and wondering ‘have I infected the scab on my knee by rubbing it in red clay?”.

6. Fay says:

Wow the 2nd set is the epitamy of Rafa, Muscularly lean but perfectly formed, *phew* fans oneself! the intensity and passion of this man on court is incredible he just aches for it… loved the one getting up from the clay he is so emotional his eyes look red! …. just amazing!!!

• Karen says:

The 2nd set contains the most gorgeous pics of Rafa and his perfect physique I’ve ever seen. I’m not sure I could cope with him in sleeveless tops again although am willing to give it a try! I’ll never ever get tired of seeing pics like this of him.