Madrid: Final photos

Photos from the match.

Photos by AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano, PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images, Clive Brunskill/Getty Images, REUTERS/Susana Vera, Jasper Juinen/Getty Images, and REUTERS/Juan Medina

Also, kip_jones shares screen grabs made during the match: here.

1. tiemyshoe says:

First: Dear God, thank you for the shrunken boy-sized shirts. 0_0

When he faceplanted into the clay today, it was almost as if he was making amends for bitching about this surface a lot. Maybe the ‘altitude’ was responsible for the Greatest Whiff of All Time. xD

His happiness not just today, but all clay court season, has been a balm to my soul. So happeh!

2. NJR says:

Great pics as always Miri. Can you try and find the pic they showed on ESPN, the HDL pic of the day ? It’s great !

3. miri says:

Added link to screen grabs I forgot to include.

4. sia says:

just want to wrap my arms around #33 and snuggle into the clay. :)

5. bdfoust says:

Thanks for the great pics and captions as always miri. I love your site. Vamos Rafa you really tested my level of colm throughout the match but the result was well worth it!

6. Fay says:

Wow these pics really capture the essence of his passion, his desire, the intensity just kills me, he is truly remarkable, loved 22.27.32.33.15 and 12 that physique *phew*… cannot wait to see the match in full tomorrow!

7. Fay says:

Wow screen grab nol 14 is just stunning! even sitting down his body is sublime and those intense brown eyes and high cheek bones! one for safe keeps!

Wow. Looking at these photos makes my tummy hurt. In a nice way. Love ’em all!

9. Silhouette says:

I actually like no.19 alot! When do we ever see such an expression on Rafa after winning the title? Was he confused? I don’t think so cos he threw his arms up when he knew he got it. I think the significance of his win sank in and he was a bit in disbelief? He looked so young at that instant! to be only 23 and be under all that stress and speculation and to be breaking and setting records, not just one at a time….He is such a champion!!

10. Laura says:

I think the photos of them at the net are quite hilarious. Federer is all cool and smiley and Rafa looks dorkily uncomfortable. You’d be forgiven for thinking the result was the other way round by looking at those!