1. Fay says:

Thanks for this collection of highlights, even though I watched the match, its great to watch some of it again, the way this is put together really showed how well Stan was playing and how well Rafa upped his game, when sensing the opportunity, taking the attack, especially today, was how he held serve, he was under so much pressure in his service games compared to Stan who was breezing through his up until 4-5, so all though a slow tentative start for Rafa, he changed things up a bit with drop shots and running round his b.h to get that all important break. Tommorows match is going to be tough, Gulbis is full of confidence right now since beating Fed, so he will pose a real threat, he is serving both 1st and 2nd serves extremely well, the courts are faster here, so Rafa will have to be on guard all the way! keep your colm’ Rafa, and stay strong pleeease!!!

• Isabelle says:

I just keep reminding myself that while Gulbis beat Fed, Fed is not the King of Clay and Rafa is! And Rafa will fight hard for this. Re other posting: I do not, nor have I ever owned any blue nail polish, might have to reconsider!

• Stf says:

Also, let’s not forget that Fed had too many unforced when Gulbis beat him. Gulbis has won a set against Rafa although I do remember that the loss of that set was because of something that had happened that had pissed Rafa off. I don’t remember what exactly, does anyone remember?

It should be a tight match, Gulbis is pretty talented. If Rafa can keep the number of unforced errors low and serve well, I think he can beat Ernests alright.

• ava says:

Yeah, that match was in Wimbledon08 in the third round I think. It was a tie-break and the stupid umpire made a mistake in Gulbis’s favour and despite Rafa’s protests. It was an obvious mistake, I think. Anyway that unhinged him and he lost the set. LOL it was only one of the three sets that he lost in the whole tourney ;)

• Fay says:

It was during Wimbledon in the 3rd round yes, during the tie-break, Rafa rushed to get a drop shot or short shot of Gulbis,(can’t remember which), but he nearly touched the net, the big issue was that the umpire insisted that the ball bounced twice, Rafa insisted that it didn’t, but being the great champ he is after a little protest “you make me lose the set now”, he excepted it and consequently in Rafa style proceeded to take the match to Gulbis… he didn’t lose another until the final!

• Ch F says:

I watched the entire match and thought his placement and footwork were a bit off. Then I thought he had put a lot of pressure to the knees against Hanescu and was probably a bit worried. He seemed to be a bit distracted in the first set. I’m not suggesting anything serious, just saying he must be thinking about it from time to time when he plays even if he doesn’t feel any pain.
      On the other hand, what I think is slowly coming back, is Rafa’s determination and ability to focus or produce his best tennis when it matters. Stan was impressive yesterday and it was almost strange to see Rafa win the first set. The reason was simply because he focused and didn’t squander his opportunities when he had them. If this mental strength comes back bit by bit, I think the best is yet to come.

2. Isabelle says:

In the first video posted I love the music their feet make “dancing” on the clay.

3. Fay says:

I am glad you mentioned that Isabelle, its beautiful, being able to listen to Rafa’s feet dancing on the red dirt, his movement at the end of that set and through the 2nd was awsome.