Rome: 2nd round presser article

Photo by TIZIANA FABI/ AFP/ Getty Images

Still can’t seem to track down full transcripts, so I guess this will have to do.

“It wasn’t my best match but it was a correct match,” said the reigning champion, “I played safe, I stayed focused all the time and Philipp tried to play more aggressively for a few moments but he made more mistakes than usual and that helped me a little bit. My serve was working well, I worked well from the base-line and I felt good. It’s important to win and Philipp is a tough opponent. To play against him in the second round was a challenge for me.”

It’s always good to be correct, no? And he acknowledges he played safe – it was all that was needed.

“Please don’t compare me with Roger because he has lost very few matches in his career,” he said when asked about Federer’s evaluation of him, that he “never has a shock result and never loses to anyone outside the top 10 or top five” – this before the Swiss world No.1 had fallen to the unheralded Ernests Gulbis in the second round. “I don’t know, I just do my best and one day I’m going to lose. Perhaps tomorrow , but I hope not. I just do my best. Every match is difficult and I try to do my best every day. We will see what will happen.”

We know you do your best, it’s why we likes ya.

And, in case anyone needed a reminder that he’s a one-match-at-a-time kind of guy…

“It’s a little bit tiring talking every day about a final when I am only in my second match,” he sighed when quizzed on whom he would like to face on Sunday. “I can start thinking about the final on Saturday night. On Wednesday afternoon is very difficult for me to think about the final. I have a tough opponent tomorrow and I’m focusing on that. I’m not looking that far ahead.”

You tell ’em, Rafa.

1. Amanda says:

He’s so cute. I’m watching Shakira singing Gypsy on American Idol. I’m hoping Rafa will pop out. :) I know it won’t happen, but a girl can dream…

It’s weird. Rafa’s gotten so much crap from the reporters about not beating the top 10 players, and now Fed’s getting beaten by players outside the top 10 in the last 3 tournaments. I can’t remember the media hoo hah that went out when Rafa lost in Rome in his first match in 08. Must have been like Fed losing to Gulbis, who I must say looks like the brother of James Morrison and Chris Martin.

But Fed is Fed. You know he’ll bounce back. He loses in the smaller tournaments and then goes on to win Slams.

Luv you one-match-at-a-time-man.

• Eliana says:

A little off topic but, you know, the thing that bothered me about the Fed match against Gulbis was that at some point I felt that he sincerely gave up, playing just to finished the match. At the end he didn’t save all those match points(like 5 or 6), Gulbis simply lose them by making bad choices. I did felt bad because he looked very defeated. Hope he gets to his winning way again, of course until he plays against Rafa and Rafa wins it all! :)

• Atch2 says:

I only caught very little of the match and then on livescores, but I must say that admired Gulbis for coming back to break and win the match after failing to convert 6/7 break points. When Fed broke back at 5-5 I thought, Gulbis is gone and Fed is back. But the kid got it together again for an extra push, and he’s not known for his persistency or mental strength, but also read that Fed didn’t seem to be playing his usually game.

3. patzin says:

The media keeps trying to project into the future, while Rafa keeps trying to keep them in the present. He clearly is tired of this line of questioning.

• Isabelle says:

I know I’ve gotten tired of all the same questions after each match at each tournament! And poor Rafa,patiently giving the same polite answers, no.

4. An says:

I would love to hear him just once awnser:

“Off course i’m gonna be in the final, beat Djokovic then go on to win Madrid, RG, Queens, Wimbly, Cincinatti or/and Toronto, US Open, Shanghai, WTF and the Davis Cup with Spain….. And then next year i’m getting the Grand Slam, isn’t that obvious?” And then snort laugh for five minutes…
    That would give them something to write, No?

But he probably wouldnt dare saying that iff only for the fear off jinxing himself… Journo’s iff you don’t understand this: i’m only concentrating in the next match and not looking forward any furhter then that awnswer off Rafa by now, i have no hope!

• Nana says:

The headline would be: “Nadal declares world domination”!

Seriously if they don’t have better questions to ask they should let him go home and catch the football. But then we would have no VIDs to drool over… I’m torn!

• An says:

Maybe he lets them make a vid off him and the buddy’s watching football as a reward then?;)
        Would love to see that!

• Nana says:

Good idea! Since Barca crashed out, there would be quite a few disappointed spanish boys needing consolation, imagine that scene =P

• An says:

I know…. The still better idea would have bin to let some off us make that vid and be there for them who needed consolation, No?;)

I experienced last night how crushed ( partly ) Spanish boys can be when theire team looses a football match!

5. Fay says:

I wonder how many times Rafa has to tell the damn press that he is not thinking of the final and takes one match at a time!!! for crying out loud, no wonder he seems a bit ticked off here..

6. natch says:

Erm…is that a comb-ever on Rafa’s forehead? ;)