Rankings: April 26th

The new rankings are out. No change in the top six, but Soderling manages to move up a spot due to some recent good results.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 10,690 0 18
2 Djokovic, Novak 7,390 0 21
3 Nadal, Rafael 6,480 0 17
4 Del Potro, Juan Martin 5,725 0 18
5 Murray, Andy 5,485 0 17
6 Davydenko, Nikolay 5,245 0 25
7 Soderling, Robin 4,805 +1 25
8 Roddick, Andy 4,780 -1 20
9 Verdasco, Fernando 3,555 0 26
10 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 3,050 0 25

1. dutchgirl says:

It’s a little off topic, but personally I like the fact that Thiemo de Bakker climbed into the top 50!

And as for Rafa: I won’t be bothered by the ranking before RG. I’m very anxious to see what will happen from there on.

2. An says:

Yeah for Thiemo!!! He did very well in Barcelona, pitty he lost the SF.

3. Nana says:

Speaking of rankings, I gathered from the Roma presser report that RG bases seeding on past performance and not ranking? Did I understand correctly? Does anyone know?

• Atch2 says:

I’ve always understood that to be for Wimby only.

• An says:

Dunno iff they still do that… Even at Wimbly last year, Rafa was in the draw because it only became clear that he couldn’t defend his title after the draw took place, Rafa was the top-seed because he was ranked 1 at that time i think…

Anyway, for me it doesnt mather if youre ranked 1,2,3 or 4… To win the tournament you gotta be the last one standing, No?

• GB says:

Wimby uses grass performances over the past two years to work out seedings, but RG sticks with ranking. This has been a bone of contention for some journos because they’ve felt it was ridiculous that Rafa wasn’t the no 1 seed, given his clay dominance. The possibility of a Fed-Rafa semi (or 1/4 if Rafa’s ranking slips further – i.e. if he doesn’t play Madrid) means that there’s been more talk about whether that should be changed this year. From the presser snippets, I presume Rafa was being asked for his opinion.

• Nana says:

Thanks GB. I know Rafa can beat anyone on his good form, but it would still be ridiculous to see a Rafa-Fed QF.

Anyway, I’d better not be looking ahead and just stay in the present, as Rafa does =D

4. Fay says:

Yes I hate to look ahead and refuse to take part in jinxy prediction polls, they are for the brave hearted only.. gonna be a very nervous week ahead for the faint hearted Rafa fans, I wonder does Rafa really know what its like watching him during a tight match?… sweaty hands, pulputations, unable to eat, constantly drinking water to colm’ nerves… I wish I could stay colm’ and say whatever will be will be, my Mum says she just cannot watch when Rafa gets in a tricky situation,like behind in the score or serving for the match, or especially after his broken his opponent.. funnily enough, watching him live didn’t effect me the same.