Rafa attends Samaranch’s funeral

Rafa was one of the many athletes who served as pallbearers during the ceremony. When asked for his thoughts on Mr. Samaranch, Rafa said:

“I came here above all to support the (Samaranch) family and show appreciation for everything he did for our sport. He was able to revolutionize sport, until he became one of the most important people in the international Olympic movement. He will always stay in our thoughts.”

Talking to the press:

Posted by mrjoban8888.

News coverage:

Posted by agenciaACN.

Photos:

Photos by JOSEP LAGO/AFP/Getty Images and Robert Marquardt/Getty Images

1. Amanda says:

Rafa looks good even at a funeral. Melikes the hair.

2. nic says:

Not to take away from the significance of this event, but boy does Rafa look smokin hot in these pics!! So handsome in just black and white. And his gorgeous face is looking great in all the close ups. What a sweetheart, to fly back in to BCN for this funeral, and to show his support by being a pallbearer. I noticed that they did have a very close relationship over the years, the old man was really very warm with Rafa. Isn’t it befitting that he was watching Rafa win MC before going to rest.

3. TU2 says:

Condolence to Samaranch family. Very nice of Rafa to fly to show his support to Samaranch family. That is one of the reasons why I like Rafa. All about him inside and out is beautiful! And, OMG Rafa looks sooooooo good and hot!! His suit looks good on him. His hair and his smile, aiii yeeee,I am melting. :D
    Always, thank you for posting.

Again, I think this was a nice gesture from Spanish sports.

I wish these men could dress themselves, though. Come over here, Rafa so I can sort your tie out. Yes, AND you next to him as well.
    Also, I think it’s definitely time for young Rafa to chop that hair off, no?

• Eliana says:

Tsk tsk tsk, CC! You’re being little selfish with Rafa’s hair :)
      Some people are very serious about this though, even saying that he won at Monte Carlo because his hair is starting to grow out. INSANITY I tell you!

I do love him in these pics, even more because of the occasion and the unselfishness that he showed, traveling to Barcelona just to participate as a pallbearer. Great guy…

• Ch F says:

Rafa the new Sampson?

• killian says:

Grow, hair, GROW!

• Anita says:

That is whay my husband always said. Rafa was like Sampson and the minute he cut the hair he lost his power. Now that it’s growing back he is powerful again. hahaha! But you never know I guess. BTW Rafa looks fabulous in the suit and tie and those shoes.

Well, I’m only saying that Rafa would look fantastic with even shorter hair, no? How could he not?!

On the topic of Rafa’s hair helping him win tournaments, I will not even bother to comment… ;)

Manolo Santana is also there.
    Wonder if they got Rafa to stand at the front bec they know he’s good at manoeuvring. He sure looks classy and handsome there, especially with dry but combed hair with styling products.

6. ali says:

condolences to samaranch’s family. rafa always seems so supportive of everyone. class act he is.

• Karen says:

Pic #3, words fail me! Sooo gorgeous. I’m offering to tie his ties for him wherever & whenever he requires!!

• Rafafan says:

Pic 3 is the most emotional face that I have ever seen in rafa – words could never say but I will try. That face – whether it be at a funeral –
        in respect, in mourning, concern for someone he had known closely, the pains in his knees, not getting a title for 11 months, no wimby, loss of fo, his mum and dad getting divorced – it is all summed up in rafa’s facial experssions what he has experienecd in the last year. Boy, I have to say he does look smoking though – love that word by the way – is it american? in english I guess we just say hot hot hot……….

7. dutchgirl says:

I saw some tv coverage on Dutch television last night, when I was in my hotelbed with a serious attack of migraine (I was away for two days with our management team). Serious Rafa carrying the coffin made me feel just a little bit better.
    I also like pic #3, but the first gave me a warm feeling inside as well – I just love Rafa’s all serious face there.

I really like pic #2 and wish I could delete that guy on the right. He looks very solemn, but still cool.
    Wish I knew who is who in the pic bec they’re suppose to be thje who’s who of Spanish sports.

Atp site also has an article on this with 2 other photos on the right:

I luv the quotes they used from Rafa’s website. Very personal.

9. bardant says:

I love Rafa, but Samaranch was just an ass.

10. bardant says:

“I really like pic #2 and wish I could delete that guy on the right. ”

Vid of above:

It must be difficult having a really tall person opposite Rafa.

12. Rafafan says:

It feels so strange being a Rafa fan – there are so many highs and lows, rollercoasters with him. One minute we are so high with his blistering win at Monte Carlo after 11 months, then pulls out of Barc, then he is at a funeral. I have to say I have never seen Rafa like this in the clip – yet, probably all so foreign to him he is so intense with the coffin and so humble and…. it makes me see him in a new light….he has grown to a new high. Watching him here I find it extraordinary for this 23 year old man. Seeing him what he has done today totally crowns anything he has done before. I am so proud being a Rafa fan

13. Fay says:

Well Rafa is looking really smart and classy here, I too love pic 2, he has such passion in his eyes, you see this intensity on court too, such an emotional man and so beautiful both in heart and mind.. he never ceases to amaze me, what a gesture, to travel and give time for such a task… god bless you Rafa, ALWAYS!

14. TU2 says:

I like pic #2 most. Elegant,smart…etc. Reminds of the Hayao Miyazaki’s ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’. Smart and classy! drool* ;)

15. Ank says:

Who is the other guy in picture number 5?