MC: A look back to 2005

TennisTV.com has posted a wonderful look back to Rafa’s first MC win.

And if you are in the US and get The Tennis Channel, they are showing Rome finals all week. Tune in tonight to see baby-faced Rafa win his first Rome title.

1. dutchgirl says:

What a sense of history from tennistv.com! It’s good to see they recognize the effort Rafa has made by winning this tournament 6 times in a row.
    So great to see how Rafa has grown since then as well.

2. kefuoe says:

So on the one hand you have Nadal’s amazing accomplishments over the past 6 years, and on the other you have a flurry of injuries and retirements among top 20 players in the past 2 months. Yet there is still constant talk of Nadal being injury-prone and his style of play being unsustainable. Nearly every player is susceptible to injury, and I can’t imagine what is unsustainable about being the only player in history to win a title 6 years in a row.

• tiemyshoe says:

Yes, this is a huge peeve of mine! Injury plagues those like Davydenko, del Potro, Monfils, Tsonga, etc. … the list goes on and on. But none of them are supposedly due to their style of play – even though I find it hard to believe that there’s no correlation between the hardcourt flat-hitting style and the number of wrist injuries among those players. No, they’re not “brutal,” but “unlucky.”

I s’pose it’s a testament to Rafa’s popularity and importance to tennis that people are so obsessed with his style and his injuries. Compared to Rafa, Davydenko or DelPo just don’t generate that much fascination; when they’re absent with injuries, no one is really claiming the sport as a whole suffers – and, aside from their fans, who worries about the Davydenko Legacy? (Sorry to pick on Kolya. :) Just an example.)

On the other hand, Rafa’s a legend already, and when he’s down for the count, tennis loses a lot more of its luster.

• kefuoe says:

That’s a great point. I think you are right that Nadal’s status in the sport means that any issues he might have loom much larger.

• An says:

I think Tiemyshoe is spot on here! In Dutch we say: The higher the tree, the more wind they catch…
          All eyes are focused on Rafa cause off what he already achieved “having only 23”

Thank you for this 2005 final review. This is the year where i fell in love with Rafa when i saw him play in RG a few weeks after this…. Little did i know that i still would feel the same 5 years later;)

• fay says:

Of course, Rafa is probably one of the most prolific players of all time, for him to be absent is a huge loss to the sport. Hay watching his defensive yet determined play back then just shows how far his come….

3. Rafangel says:

Argh, looks like Rafa may pull out of Barca cos of his knees:
    elpais.com

Translated

Don’t know whether to be happy or sad. Huge decision for him and I was really looking forward to this one; on the other hand, it’s good to know he can and will take ruthless decisions for his career.

Please move any further discussion about Barcelona to a more appropriate post – such as this one. I won’t post anything until we have official word.

• Rafangel says:

Sorry, it just seemed important (and El Pais is reputable) – though I see why you’re not posting. I found a thread on injury here so it seemed the best place.

4. Rafangel says:

How much of a perv do I feel? There’s something appallingly sexy about his fresh-faced boyishness here… :O Still, guys leer at teens – at least Rafa is over the age of consent here. Hell, he’s an adult. It’s fine!

Coria’s a bit lush, too. A whole lotta talent on that court.

He’s hot as hell here too (check the legs, the arms and the arse, ignore the baby cheeks), and I’m not going to feel like a perv for thinking so! Also, I think the age of consent in Spain is like 13, so…it’s all fine. :D

OK, I AM a perv…

5. Rafangel says:

I particularly remember a TennisTV interview (atpmastersseries.tv as was, vel sim) from I think 2006 or 2007, after he’d won MC again. He was cradling the trophy throughout, but I remember it for the look in his eyes – they were just alight. I’ve not seen his eyes like that in an interview again – does anyone have it? (Before the days I’d learnt how to record prohibited streams).

6. cookie says:

Just eighteen and glowing with that teenage aura of invincibility. So glad to be able to view history in the making– from the beginning! Thank you, Miri, for alerting us to this recording of the budding x-factor! It make me realize more clearly just how long Rafa has been working so hard at this profession.

7. Fay says:

I love baby faced Rafa and he swags different here too, brilliant look back and so nice to see how people appreciate him for making history once again!

Rafa was still a bit awkward and shy. Coria looked shitty and unfriendly at the handshake. Mo and Uncle Toni looked really young.

What an amazing record you’ve achieved Rafa, winning 6 Monte Carlos in a row now.

I’m glad the days of 5sets for Master Serious tournaments are gone. Imagine the injury count if this was still the case.

I actually miss the days of five setters. I know three sets are better for the players, but there’s nothing like a close five set match for me. I watched the 2005 Rome final on The Tennis Channel last night and that was five roller coaster sets of pure fun.

• Atch2 says:

Matches like that test if your heart is healthy.

• teejustice says:

OMG! I saw that match last night for the first time. What a ride it was and the crowd wasgreat. I do miss the 5 setters @ least for the final like they used to be cuz as announcer said is prep for slams and so much drama. Amazed how young Rafa pulled that tiebreak out after losing 5-2 lead.

9. nic says:

Dang I hate watching vids on TennisTV. The stream is always buffering for me :( I only had the patience to sit through the first minute or two, but I like when Rafa recounts that “I was very young”… it’s like he was looking back at himself and thinking, boy how I’ve grown up (and wonder whether he was thinking that he was brimming with enthusiasm and confidence in that match). Ah, older wiser Rafa is oh so yum.