Rankings: April 19th

The new rankings are out. No change in the top three, but Del Potro manages to move up a notch without having played in…forever. Verdasco moves up 3 places and is back in the top ten.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 10,690 0 18
2 Djokovic, Novak 7,390 0 21
3 Nadal, Rafael 6,980 0 18
4 Del Potro, Juan Martin 5,725 +1 18
5 Murray, Andy 5,485 -1 17
6 Davydenko, Nikolay 5,335 0 26
7 Roddick, Andy 4,780 0 20
8 Soderling, Robin 4,595 0 26
9 Verdasco, Fernando 3,145 +3 26
10 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 3,005 0 24

1. k says:

They somehow make it look like Delpo does better when he doesn’t play at all.

2. Nana says:

I always find the ranking system a bit weird but I don’t have a better one to suggest so can’t complain!

3. aRafaelite says:

So if Rafa plays as well as he did last year (and quite frankly I think he’s playing a heap better) and Nole doesn’t, he’ll be back at No. 2 in a few weeks! :-) Great to see Fernando back in the Top 10 despite the loss, and Tommy back in the Top 20 too. Six Spaniards in the Top 20 now / 30% of world’s best 20 male tennis players are Spanish – wow!

• nic says:

Freaking awesome stat that. Spain is by far and away THE leading nation in tennis right now. What a fantastic time for us cos we get to enjoy not only great tennis and great heart, but a helluva lot of hotties too :D

4. nic says:

I couldn’t be stuffed with rankings these days, when some time ago I found it so sacred for Rafa to remain in the top 2 spots. But after all he’s been through, all I want for him is to be able to play, and when he’s playing well, as he said, the rankings take care of themselves.

5. Fay says:

I agree nic, just focus on playing well Rafa and the rankings will take care of themselves lol…

If Rafa rises in the ranking I want it to be bec he wins and wins, and not bec the guys before him lose or are injured, bec it will mean a lot more bec he has earned it.

7. cindy says:

i dont understand why he didnt rise to the second position ? didnt he get 1000 point ?
    can someone please explain to me !

• kefuoe says:

The rankings are on a yearly basis. That means that the points earned in the previous year’s tournament are removed as the points from the current year are added on. Last year, Nadal won the tournament, so his 1000 points from 2009 are removed at the same time his 1000 points from 2010 are added.