MC: Post 3rd round presser

Photo by REUTERS/Regis Duvignau

The transcript from Thursday’s presser is finally up.

Q. You played better than yesterday today?

RAFAEL NADAL: I played better, yes. I played better than yesterday because I played higher, I played close to the lines, and my feeling is I had more control on the ball than yesterday, no?

Good backhands. Very good forehands down the line. I played very well, yeah.

Played higher? Did you have the munchies after too?

Q. Anything to complain about? Something you’re not happy with?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the first, for some moments, I didn’t serve my best. But later when I started to serve a little bit more slower, not the speed slower, the movement a little bit slower, and more calm, I did better.

So I finished the match serving better. No, I am, yeah, happy.

Heh – moving slowly on the serve is helpful. Eventually, it’s going to take him more than 5 minutes to get the ball into play.

Q. You may play against Jo.

AFAEL NADAL: Yeah, Tsonga, he’s aggressive, really aggressive player. I saw him in the second set. He’s playing really aggressive. Especially with his serve, he can go to the volley. He’s very dangerous, no?

Juan Carlos is a player who win more matches this year on clay and he is coming with big confidence. Going to be really difficult.

So both players going to be difficult. I think for me, try to play like today, but I know going to be a different level and I have to play better, no? So that’s what I gonna try.

Funny, you didn’t make it look difficult. That’s a good thing, no?

Q. Jo, since he beat you in Melbourne, you played him several times. You won every time, and every time more easily. The score was better every time. Any reason for that? Anything you understood in his game?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don’t know. I think against him I played very well, very good matches, the last few matches. Last year in Bercy, and for sure this year in Miami, too, I played really well. I saved a lot of breakpoints in Miami, several breakpoints. That was decisive on the match, no?

So I think hopefully not, but I’m sure that’s gonna change a lot.

Yes, you played Jo well in Miami. Very well.

Q. Which is the most dangerous part in his game?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, is a different player because he can serve really well. You don’t see really well where he’s serving. He has amazing forehand. When he stop and he saw the ball coming, and he has the right position, is very difficult to stop his forehand, no?

So I think the important thing is make him feel like he can play watching the ball every time come. So play a bit more inside, play more to the sides and move him. His movement is not bad, sure. He move well. But is the way, I think.

Hey, interviewer – see how ridiculous you look a day later when you assume you know which player is going to win? Think about it. (Yeah, I know, they are focused on French players, but still!)

Q. Are you more happy to be here back in Monte Carlo because, A, you always win, B, it’s clay, C, for your body to play on clay is better? Which one of the three things more?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me most important thing is be here in one of my favorite tournaments, if not the favorite. I love be here. Monte Carlo is a pleasure. I always say this. Is the tournament for me.

To just be here and play this very nice center court for me, very nice atmosphere around, so is a pleasure. So for me the important thing is be in Monte Carlo and play this tournament because I love this.

Yes, you always say this…about a lot of tournaments. ;)

Q. If you had to compare the three different clay surfaces, clay in Monte Carlo, clay in Rome, and clay in Paris, what is the difference from your point of view?

RAFAEL NADAL: Clay is clay (smiling). Probably between here and Paris is very similar, very similar, the clay. In Rome is a little bit different.

Unless it’s blue – then it’s radio-active and would clash with his outfit.

Q. Faster?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don’t know. I don’t know if is faster. But the clay is not the same clay, you know. There is different clays, different material.

So probably here is closer. I don’t know if is the same, exactly the same, but my feeling is very close to the same like Paris. And in Rome is a little bit more similar than the clay we have in Spain.

But I thought clay was clay? Quickest self-contradiction evah? :D (Yes, I know he was joking before, but this amuses me.)

Q. How much is it important for you here to have the sea?

RAFAEL NADAL: I love the sea, no? I love being at the sea. And I live on the sea. So wake up, I have very nice views from my room. Wake up watching the sea, that’s give me a lot of energy.

Q. To be back home?

RAFAEL NADAL: The sea is the same. Is Mediterranean. So I love that (smiling).

But is it really the same or is it different?

1. cath says:

Man, I sure do wish there were videos of these pressers…

2. kefuoe says:

Maybe the way the clay sticks to your amorphous blue bag is different. But now I kind of what to hear him say, “clay” four times in one answer.

Yup, the self-contradiction made me chuckle as well, I think I do that a lot myself. ;)

I like the fact that Rafa uses the word “several”. Great word!

4. alhm says:

“Yes, you always say this…about a lot of tournaments. ;)”

I actually think he means it for Monte Carlo. MC and Wimbledon.

Yeah, the sea, it being his first Master Serious title, the club atmosphere, and the tournament history, I’m sure all these things make MC very special to him. He just dilutes the impact of saying that by saying it so often. I mean, a few weeks ago, he did his best to convince me that Indian Wells was one of his most favoritest.

I know he’s very careful and doesn’t want to insult any tournament, but it just kind of cracks me up. (And he’s not the only player that does this – they all do it at some level.)

• Rafangel says:

I think he really likes IW too because, as he says, of the peacefulness of it and the fact it’s got a really good golf course. Typical Rafa – and MC cos it has ‘typical Rafa’ attributes as alhm says. And Wimby cos it’s Wimby (I get the impression that he doesn’t like London that much – boo! you’re so wrong, Rafa – or at least, he didn’t, til it got the Wimby 08 association.)

Seems to me that when he says he likes a tournament he’s usually sincere, because there’s something he likes about being there, either the place or the tourney or whatever. He doesn’t always say it’s a favourite – often it’s ‘special’.You can sometimes tell what he makes of it by what he says and doesn’t say in comparison with other places he’s talked about.

Whatever. If he’s happy I am :)

• alhm says:

Dude, I actually think he means it for IW as well. *g* I mean, if I had to put money on a guess of Rafa’s favorite hc tournament, I’d put it all on it being IW (with the Canada Open a distant 2nd choice).

Because of the location (golf! grass!) and the surface suiting him. There’s also the writing on the back of his hand thing…

I do love how he didn’t even bother trying that “FAVORITEST TOURNAMENT OF MY LIFE” schtick with Madrid last year, though. I think he’s never did it with Cinci and TMS Paris either.

Yeah yeah. IW has him with colm too – despite the lack of water. (Although, there is an inland sea within a short drive – as I found out – not good for fishing though because it’s too salty.) I think the players like the grassy area where they can relax outside instead being stuck close together in yet another generic players lounge.

And I don’t think Cinci makes any players fav list…(even if fans love it for the proximity to the players).

• tiemyshoe says:

I don’t think he says “favoritest” about Miami, does he?

Also, not about any of the indoor tournies. He switches to the more subtle take-down “always special” instead. Heh.

5. Fay says:

Rafa is funny here and I love his clay analysis, and your comments Miri cracked me up!

I want to see and hear Rafa say ‘Mediterranean’ ending with that smile.