MC: 3rd round photos

Photos from today’s match against Berrer.

Photos by AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau, VALERY HACHE/AFP/Getty Images, Julian Finney/Getty Images, and REUTERS/Regis Duvignau

More photos

1. Necitas says:

Pics #8 & #9, the king and the shadow of the king. :D

2. Sapphireswell says:

I love #8, The King because Rafa looks exactly like the caricature cartoons that the New Yorker puts out. Those brows have serious reach.

Such concentration!

3. kefuoe says:

Re #4: I was rolling my eyes a bit when I saw him doing this before the match got underway. Then I looked at all the tennis court clay that had infiltrated my house and decided that it was a good idea to keep the clay off of his bag of teeny tiny t-shirts.

He did the same thing during the Davis Cup matches I saw. I think it’s a standard thing.

• teejustice says:

LOL. All I could do was laugh and say “that’s our Rafa” because he seemed to be extra meticulous about the corners and lining it up just right. But stuff like this just keeps me scratching my head about how messy he is (claims to be)outside of tennis. I get the whole gemini thing, but I can’t see how you turn that off? shrugs…

• tiemyshoe says:

Hee, I know.

I think he does certain things on the court to fight against his natural hyperactivity – or so he’s said. Why that manifests as compulsive, methodical neatness, I have no idea, but there ya go.

• Atch2 says:

I luv the laying down of the towel. That clay must be really difficult to clean off the Nike manbag. And it consumes more pre-coin toss time bec the towel has to be just right before the manbag can sit on it. Lucky bag.

Rafa looks like he’s skipping in the Shadow. So not only does he throw like a girl, he skips like one too.

• SapphireSwell says:

I think the towel is for the cleanliness of his bag as well as his clothes. The clay on the bag would rub all over him as he walks off court, so this would prevent red streaks all over.

And yes, very lucky bag. I would like Rafa to carry me too :)

And suddenly, I like the shorts a lot more! ;)

5. Fay says:

Thanks for the explanation on the towel issue, I was just thinking it being a new querk of his, *rolled eyes too*… loving pics 2 and 10 myself..