Toni talks

Photo by Beth Wilson

There are a few comments from Toni in this article that appear to confirm Rafa has a minor problem with the left knee. Here’s Google’s attempt at a translation.

“Creo que ha jugado a un gran nivel, digamos que de los cuatro- refiriéndose a Federer, Djokovic y Murray- ha sido el más regular. La lástima fue perder ante Ljubicic donde creo que le faltá tranquilidad para ganar el partido, y después en Miami tuvo un problema en su rodilla izquierda que no le permitió jugar a su máximo nivel”

“I think he has played at a high level, say the four-referring to Federer, Djokovic and Murray, has been the most consistent. The pity was losing to Ljubicic where I think we need peace to win the game, and then Miami had a problem in his left knee that prevented him from playing at its highest level. “

Preguntado por las molestias en la rodilla, Toni Nadal declaró que no cree que sean muy importantes y que a partir del miércoles intentaran entrenar al 100 por 100 “Nuestra intención es estrenar a tope el miércoles y jueves. El viernes nos marchamos hacia Montecarlo. Este tramo de la temporada es el que tiene un desgaste menor para el físico ya que jugar sobre tierra batida es menos dramático para las articulaciones, pero también es el más importante”.

Asked about the sore knee, Toni Nadal said he does not think are very important, and on Wednesday attempted to train 100 100 “Our intention is brand new to stop on Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday we marched to Montecarlo. This stretch of the season is the one with less wear to the physical as they play on clay is less dramatic for the joints but also is the most important. “

Seguidamente, el técnico del tenista mallorquín no descartó cambiar el tratamiento para evitar lesiones en sus rodillas, si estas, se van reproduciendo durante esta presente temporada.

(Thanks to CC for the link.)

1. Kate says:

hmmm I don’t like playing on hard courts either but Rafa doesn’t have a choice. I think clay coming up now is the best for him to recover. It is less wear and tear on the knees and also it will boost his confidence for later on in the year if he does well.

2. Courtney says:

All I will say is that I hope he pulls out of Madrid. I will be so confused and worried if he doesn’t. I mean, he’s obviously very loyal to Spain… but I think he’s already proven that time and again. No need to repeat last year just because it’s a home tournament (and why else would he play it? bad timing, bad conditions, pointless!). Fernando and Feli are from the Madrid area so they can take on the burden of hometown expectation this time around!

• Nic says:

I really feel the same way you do on this one. Totally. Even if he does feel fine and dandy when the tourney comes around I think it would do him good to sit it out to save wear and tear before RG, the ultimate goal. Please rafa, please be careful.

• SallyO says:

DI.TTO. to what what Courteny and Nic say.

I agree 100% and I too hope against hope that Rafa makes the right decision for himself and not some tournament director or city. He has already given Spain so much. And Grand Slam titles count for a country. BIG TIME. So I would think that most people in Madrid would be behind Rafa and support his decision if he chose to skip Madrid in order to better rest and prepare to win the French Open.

• dutchgirl says:

I agree with you Courtney. I don’t understand why Rafa is so keen on playing Madrid, since he knows it’s practically a hardcourt – he’ll only have to think about what happened last year! It makes no sense, so shortly before RG.
      That said, I know Rafa has his own ways of making these kind of decisions. But if he does decide to play, I’ll be crossing my fingers the entire tournament!

3. kefuoe says:

I guess I was seeing this small knee problem as fatigue in the later sets of the Roddick match. But it also seems natural that there would be a lot of fear or anxiety whenever he feels the slightest twinge in the knees. Clearly the thought of this kind of problem was very upsetting to him during the match.

• natch says:

“Clearly the thought of this kind of problem was very upsetting to him during the match.”
      Knee problems almost always cause semi-panic in athletes.

You’ve been seeing the “small knee problem” since he returned. Yep, even when he played Tsonga it was evident. It’s just grown because he kept playing. It was way obvs by the time of the ARod match.

What you have to remember, though, is that it doesn’t appear that Rafa has it within himself to take a long, extended break. So, you just have to deal with him having repeat or new injuries. Maybe if you can adopt that mindset, then you won’t be so stressed? Maybe “stressed” is the wrong word to choose. But if the losses are bothering you, maybe if you start thinking that Rafa can go out with an injury during any match, you can be pleasantly surprised if and when he wins. Maybe?

• SallyO says:

“t doesn’t appear that Rafa has it within himself to take a long, extended break. ”

While I agree that Rafa isn’t one to take off a month or two and have a vacation (I’m talking about actually choosing to, not being forced to by injury.)

There was a quote a little while ago from Rafa that made me feel that he is beginning to change his mentatlity somewhat. Basically, the interviewer in his presser said something like: “so, you’re not practicing as long anymore because of your knees?”

Rafa responded, saying (I paraphrase): “no, not because of my knees. It’s just the natural cycle a player goes through as they grow and mature as a player. When you are training when you are 15, you are working on different things than when you are 23. It’s more about technique and repetition. So I change my style of training because I don’t need to train like I did year ago. I’m a better player now.”

I hope that this is something that he continues to repeat to himself and Uncle Toni continues to enforce this new philosophy. Rafa, you are good enough to step onto court and kick ass! BELIEVE IT! You don’t have to train for 10 hours a day, and you don’t have to play 1000 tourneys. Your tennis and genius is within you. You just have to believe that you can summon it when you want it.

And I’m not buying his stated change of practice schedule. He was practicing HARD for an hour on match days, 2 hours on non-match days in Miami.

• SallyO says:

*shrugs* The interviewers maybe noticed that his practicing wasn’t as fanatical as they once were and they brought it up to Rafa at his presser.(this is VERY subjective, obvious, “not as fanatical” for RAfa is “crazy fanatical” for other people)

Practing for 2 hours (especially the way he practices) is crazy. BUT, how long does he practice usually? I remember once hearing the commentators joke about how crazy RAfa is when it comes to his practices. They were saying how he’s usually the first one out there and the last one off the courts. Heck, Rafa and his practices have become punchlines.

Regardless, I think that the fact that he SAID it is a step in the right direction. If he says it enough, it may translate more into reality.

It’s about the same as I saw in Montreal last year before he made the statements, if that’s any indication.

He also practiced twice a day a few days in IW.

His sessions are a lot longer and often a lot more intense than most of the other players on the tour (if not all of the other players).

• tiemyshoe says:

Hrmm, he also says he substitutes doubles matches for practices when he plays doubles. Is that true?

If it is, I am all for dubs, ’cause he sweats a lot less playing a whole match of dubs than he seems to after like 15 minutes practicing. But I’m getting skeptical about what Rafa even considers “practice.” I’ve read that he warms up intensely an hour on match days … which, to my mind, doesn’t sound like “warm up,” it sounds like “practice.”

• SallyO says:

That’s true, it is all very subjective. Rafa’s like “I’m only going for a light hit” and then hours later on the court chasing balls down and wallowing the fuzz of of them, he’s like “done. my light hit is over. now for the practice…”

But I think his playing doubles is another indicator that he maybe changing his mentality. I think that doubles is perfect. And if he uses it as a substitute, I think it’s a great move.

You hit those sexy volleys you sexy beast you!

• SallyO says:

It should read “I think his playing doubles and using it as a substitute for practice is another indicator…”

He still practices on the days he plays doubles. ;) But I’m still all for doubles. It’s not a lot of physical strain and I think it’s good for him mentally/emotionally.

I watched him practice/”warm-up” on two match days…both sessions were an hour and took place around 2 hours before his match.

• SallyO says:

Well, I’ll be damned. That sneaky bastard. ;)
                    He’s double dipping!

Heh, I hope he continues the trend with doubles and then gradually makes the transition into a lighter practice.

• Annie says:

Same with IW. practicing hard for an hour on match days and 90 minutes on off days (plus dubs). Don’t understand the “march to monte carlo” line. I guess he arrives there on friday? So no teeth out either.

• natch says:

Not much to say, except we just disagree. Just one thing, though. I know you are referring to Rafa taking a month or two off for personal reasons, but he needs much longer than that to recover physically. If I had been working with him last year, I would have made him take six to eight months off. That’s just my opinion.

Since he won’t take an extended leave of absence, I’m happy just to see him when he shows up. Unless he’s wearing pink. ;)
          If he wins, he wins. Great! Vamos! If he loses, meh. I can take it or leave it. So I really don’t have a whole lot invested in him, except for my lust.

Did anyone really think that he took enough time off to recover last Summer? Surely not. Not even himself, me thinks.

Now… apart from “my lust” for Rafa, I’ve got my eyes on that house by the sea he has on Mallorca. The one with the nice pool and the view and… I guess that means I have a whole lot more invested in Rafa than you, natch. ;)

• natch says:

Ha! I don’t even think I’ve seen his house. You most definitely have more of an investment.
              The only *view* I’m interested in is the one between his navel and his knees. ;) (Miri, do you think you could work on photographing that, please?)

• SallyO says:

I’m actually one of those people who believes that Rafa can take a year off if he wants. I’d probably completely lose it, but tough!

Of course two months off is NOT enough. What I meant by two months off is the time he takes off now as he’s competing. I’m not discussing the past. I’m talking about him taking time off even when all is well in the Rafaverse. Take the break and rest BEFORE his knees start bothering him. Giving himself a “Serena Willaimsesq” break (love that woman!)

You can see his lovely pool in this video done during last year’s injury time-out.

A heavenly home!

That is different from the cozy “Nadal cottage” that we see in his “from right to left” video.

He’s so intense and “mission possible” mindset. Love him. His spirit is just larger than life.

Breathtaking. Can you imagine being there alone with a relaxed Rafa…

That was filmed at the house he rents in Wimbledon.

• SallyO says:

Ah, that’s where I wanna be.

I could of sworn that cozy “Nadal cottage” was home. Rafa even had a place for his toothbrush and there was a dartboard and they were tossing a ball in the overgrown plant life in the backyard. I guess Rafa and the Nadals have a way of making any place home. They looked so comfy lounging on the coaches or sitting at the counters.

Does this mean that that is the home of, say, a family who moves out during Wimbly and rents it to Rafa? That he sleeps in their beds, uses their kitches, BREATHES their air…

HOW CAN I GET IN ON THIS RENTING BUSINESS?! And is actually moving out during his stay obligatory, or optional?

• Alix says:

I thought that “Nadal cottage” in “from right to left” video is the house they rent during Wimbledon? It has british style garden etc.

His Mallorcan house is somehow so dreamy in its beauty. I honestly cannot imagine being there alone with a relaxed Rafa. That is because it would be absolutely too much for a shy person like me!

I’m happy that he has a great pool where he can easily do lots of knee-friendly exercise to keep his precious legs in condition :)

• Annie says:

Sally, that’s the house he rents in Wimbledon. The owners move out and stay in a hotel or whatever. They make gobs of money doing that. If you look at the vid he’s wearing a windbreaker ‘cus it’s typical english weather and it’s sprinkling a little.

• SallyO says:

*nods* I already stand corrected by Miri, Alix and now you. :))

I flove that home. And those who own it are lucky. I mean, just THINK about the re-sale value on that place? HELLO?! All they have to do is put a “Rafa’s famoose ass was here” and the prices would sky rocket!

“I honestly cannot imagine being there alone with a relaxed Rafa.”

Imagine is fine, no? I sure can. In that pool, on that grass, up against that fence… ;)

• Alix says:

Imagine is fine, si! I’ve had so many uncontrollable laughing burst sessions, when you girls go and unleash your imagination :D

I blame it on Rafa, who just turns me back into this nervious and easily blushing teenage girl.

But well, we know what happened with Shakira. She claimed to be “she wolf in the closet” but I guess the closet flew out of the window when she got her pows on Rafa ;)

• Kate says:

Tendonitis won’t just go away after a long break. I suffer from it in my knee’s as well. I’ve taken year long breaks from running, then been in agony a month after starting up again. Rafa’s going to have to deal with this chronic issue for the rest of his career. But it’s not like he’s the only one. If all the players suffering from tendonitis took a nice long break the ATP tour would be in total disarray.

A long break would also put Rafa at risk of suffering other injuries when he came back, as his body wouldn’t be used to the strain of actual match play. We saw that last year with the abdominal tear, and that was after only a short break.

Do you think this is a bit of what you were seeing when you commented on his ladder drill a while back?

And I agree – I worry he’ll never take the time off he needs. Admittedly, it’s difficult to do the way the tour is structured, but if he wants to be in the top 10-20 on the tour for a good chunk of time, it seems like he’s going to have to.

• natch says:

I thought of it when I heard he was only taking three or four weeks off originally. Then it evidenced itself when he played in IW. But, yes. You can definitely see it on the two ladder drills I saw posted here. The flip side of that is, how many ladder drills were there? How many were done like that? It’s hard to tell from just watching two videos. But it’s all pieces of circumstantial evidence that can be put together.

I doubt, need it or not, that he will take the time off that he needs. I’ve worked with a few guys who seem to be like Rafa. Almost ADD. A few minutes away from the sport is a lifetime to them. They’ll find something else to obsess about. So, you just deal with the injuries the best you can, and put the athlete in the best position he can be, in the shape that he’s in.

Besides, Miri, you shouldn’t worry about him. He’s got enough people to do that for him! ;) Enjoy him for the human statue that he is. :D

• sia says:

Poor Rafa … poor delicious work of art that he is. Why oh why is there NO BREAK in the tennis season?? I can watch Rafa win or lose but for his own sake he needs to be healthly enough to call on his talents effortlessly enough to win a tournament.

• SallyO says:

“Why oh why is there NO BREAK in the tennis season??”

*sigh* The extremely short answer?

Vampires.

4. tiemyshoe says:

I wonder what he means by changing “treatment” – changing how they treat Rafa’s knees medically, or his training regime?

Yup, that confused me too. If there are things they can do to avoid more knee trouble, then why hasn’t that been done already? It doesn’t make sense to me.

• Ch F says:

It confused me too, it could be medical treatment or special exercises for the knee, I guess. In any case I think what he means is if what they’re doing isn’t working and the knee problems come back so often, they’ll change it. Sounds sensible.

• GB says:

I’m thinking it means play less tourneys/further limit training, if it’s absolutely necessary because, surely, he’d be doing absolutely everything he could in terms of precautionary treatments already,

• SallyO says:

“Then Nadal coach did not rule out changing the treatment to avoid injury to your knees, if they are going playing during this season.”

Yup. By “treatment” they mean “how they are treating the knee” as in giving them enough time to rest and recuperate and not stress them out with overplaying.

I hope that is a hint that they are willing to sacrifice tourneys (*cough* MADRID *cough*).

R.e.s.p.e.c.t.

Treat those knees right!

• tiemyshoe says:

I want him to play only Monte Carlo, Rome, and RG, and take off Barcelona and Madrid. Yes, I have a vivid fantasy life!

I expect a lot of people are telling him the same thing in his life and are being met by a brick wall. *sigh* Rafa will never be ruthless enough to drop both Spanish tournaments.

• SallyO says:

I thought the same thing about the Spanish tourneys. But I think that if he plays Barca, then he’s playing IN Spain, and so if he skips Madrid, he’s still played one of their tourneys. Also, what of his Davis Cup record? What about the Olympics? What about winning 6 GS titles and 15 Masters? Rafa did that. Rafa “gave” that to Spain. Surely they can support him and forgive him for skipping this year (we’ll just reiterate all of this again next year).

I’m really curious to know whether or not the PEOPLE would support him. I’m pretty sure tournament organizers and all the others involved in the politics of it all would not be as forgiving. But, I’m sure they will know where they can stick their displeasure…

• Atch2 says:

Maybe everything that relates to the clay season. How they treat the knee, which tournaments to play, how to practice on clay, match strategy, etc.

But I like that Uncle Toni came out to speak. Vamos Team Nadal.

5. Ch F says:

So there was a knee issue indeed. There was at least some pain to inhibit his movement and create fear of further injury. I thought his body language was awkward in the way it usually is when there is something wrong but couldn’t quite tell what it was until I saw that frustrated reaction during changeover. I assume the problem isn’t serious otherwise he wouldn’t be playing at all, hopefully.
    I also assume that’s why he “wasn’t ready” to play better tennis, as he said in his presser, when Roddick changed his tactics to win the match.

• Alix says:

Though this isn’t happy news, it’s good to get some information from Toni and know what’s really going on.

CH F, I’m assuming too that it isn’t too serious knee problems right now because he keeps playing *knocking hard on wood*

Rafa has had quite many injury issues throughout his whole career. So Rafelito, I know, it’s not fair, not fair at all >:( that those knees are bugging you once again!

But I also know you keep fighting on. And I will do my part and patiently keep the hope alive *promises solemnly*

• aRafaelite says:

Is it wrong to think your avatar looks more delicious than all these lovely pics of Rafa?!

What are you talking about aRafaelite? That IS a picture of Rafa! ;D

And I agree, he looks as scrumptious as ever. MMMM!

• Alix says:

Scrumptious?

*ploughing through dictionary and learning a new english word*

Ahh, scrumptious = Rafa.

Oh I wish I was a cookie…
            A trophy cookie which Rafa, that little Cookie Monster, is biting :)

6. Nic says:

This news really pains me. Poor rafa. I can’t take this sometimes. When he’s getting goin and confident, the dang knees have to flare up. It might not have been a serious injury but it definitely played up on his mind and upset him tremendously. Still upsets me to think how frustrated and angry he was on that well-documented changeover. The only positive that rafa can take away from this is that he’s got the game to come back and his hard work in that aspect is paying off. As for his body, sometimes beyond his control. The fear returns everytime he gets a twinge. I really wish he didn’t have to play so much on those blasted hard courts. Sweet rafa, I hope the clay will be kind to you. You really deserve better. I sincerely hope rafa never stops persevering and never lets these bumps along the way dishearten him. He is one of the toughest fighters I have ever known. One day the clouds will clear, and the sun will come shining through rafa. I’m sorry for sounding so melodramatic here but my heart really aches for rafa and I can’t help it.

Pfffft… And here’s me thinking Rafa’s becoming a bit of an old woman, when I read your “The fear returns everytime he gets a twinge.” I really have no compassion and guess I deserve a slap.

Seriously though, as long as they are only twinges and nothing bad, then I guess he needs to just try and block them out.

Think about other things than your knees when you’re on court, Rafa! Like…urm…great sex. Or…Nutella. Or both, combined, with me. ;)

• JK says:

Maybe think about the Gypsy video with Shakira ;)

• Atch2 says:

May i also suggest that Rafa may also like sprinklings of cookie crumbs.

• tiemyshoe says:

Hehe. “Just suck it up, old lady!”

I’m feeling for him because I’m currently having knee annoyances (sympathy pangs?) that makes running a bitch, and I hate it!

Joints suck. You heard it here first.

• Annie says:

LOL on the sympathy pangs! that’s sweet…
          I have chronic hip pain and it’s awful to live with. But I have no choice. I ignore it. And sometimes it’s quite severe. I wish we knew how bad his knee pain is.
          I know at RG last year it was so bad and so disabling he couldn’t go on. Like a searing pain. Could not play. It just wears you down. I hope this latest flare up is nothing like that. If it’s just an ache I hope he’ll play through it and learn to live with it. Roddick says he has teninitis and he lives with the pain. Whereas Darren Cahill said his tendonitis was so bad it forced him to retire. What level is rafa’s pain?

• Alix says:

He’s gonna handle the knee situation because he’s on his favourite surface CC… He himself said CC suits his body!
        So thank God the CC season is on. Clay Court it is ;)

*shakes head*

Uncertainty is a dangerous thing. Most especially when it’s fucking painful. Even more so when you’ve suffered it time and time again. Even more importantly when the very thing you are doing is the cause of it.

I’m into sports. I completely understand where he’s coming from. It’s extremely difficult to manage. It’s not a matter of “raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens” and POOF! your doubts and fears are gone.

I’m just saying that I’m thinking it’s in his head. If it is (and I’m saying “if” here, because I don’t know), then it’s certainly not gone in a “poof”. Then, it will take much more than working in the gym and sleeping with cables to fix.

• SallyO says:

“it’s in his head” as in there’s no real pain and that Rafa is just imagining things? I don’t get it.

Of course it’s real pain, but pain is always in your head, no?

• SallyO says:

Or, it’s in your bones, muscles and ligaments.

• rubik says:

It’s truly AMAZING the COURAGE Nadal has! Can you imagine having to live through what Nadal has been going through day in and day out for the past year only?

My deepest, greatest RESPECT to Nadal and the very, very best for him. Whatever decision Nadal takes in the future, I’ll ALWAYS RESPECT IT 100%, whether or not I understand it at the time.

No wonder we love this man so dearly!

Take good care of yourself, Nadal, and my very best wishes for you to find the best solution for this knee problem.

PS – miri, we will surely remember we heard about this first right HERE on your site!

• SallyO says:

Rubik and Necitas, I can begin to understand what Rafa’s going through, but I’ll never fully comprehend it on the level to which he’s experiencing it.

It is indeed remarkable and a testament to his mental strength and his heart and courage. To be a professional athlete and have the pressures that he imposes on himself, couples with all of the other pressures that are there…

I can only begin…

• faeaki7 says:

well said Rubik!

• dutchgirl says:

I totally get your point, CC. And it’s what I’ve been thinking as well. Because I know from experience that it can be really difficult to trust your body again after it caused so much trouble.
                  So, IMO, there is work to do on the knee, but maybe even more on the head.

• Necitas says:

Well said, Sally O. Extreme pain of any kind is always difficult to overcome, trauma comes with it. Rafa is dealing with his pains remarkably well. Given this condition, he is still able to compete at the highest level. Very impressive! I call that mental toughness!

7. An says:

Ooooooh Rafa, Why couldn’t it be enough that i had a left knee problem, why do you have to have one too??;)

Told you, i’am more then pleased to bare it as long as you have not!!

My going back to training was going to be today but is prosponded to tomorrow, is there more coincidence then you and i both having left knee problems and both return to training tomorrow???

Heh, An… If you bare it all for Rafa, I’m sure he’ll feel much better within seconds. ;)

• An says:

I’m willing to try;)

• natch says:

Hm. I wonder how that would go…

An: Suck it up, old woman! *strips*

LMAO! You crazy! XD

If I bared it all, however, there’d be no hope for Rafa’s knees at all. He’d run as fast as he could as far as he could… ;)

• natch says:

Aw, CC. Don’t say that. How can Rafa love you if you won’t love you? No, wait…how can Rafa VERB you if you don’t…wait, that doesn’t make sense.
              *scratches head*

What I mean to say is, Rafa told me his knees will get better when he sees all his Rafanatics bared and they are happy with themselves just the way they are.

Don’t worry, natch. I love myself enough to bare it all for Rafa. I am, after all, Swedish. Things like that are in our genes. ;)

• An says:

“Rafa: Suddenly, the pain…it is gone, no? I’m feeling warm and tingly…much further north…;)”

Well, Rafa, for that we don’t need a doctor or physio, No?;)

Unless of course Rafa wants to be the doctor…and I’ll be the nurse…or even better, the patient. “Oh, I have a pain right here, Rafa…”

*faints*

Urm…I should definitely go to bed now.

8. cindy says:

poor Rafa his knees frustrated him when he was inches away from getting the titles; by the way ;had he beaten rodick he would have edged over berdich whom he already beat in indian wells.
    i’m afraid that this knee problem will reoccur frequently to inhibit his capaciticies and end his carries because it’s pretty paralyzing . Damn it !
    Agassi once said ” rafael nadal is paying checks for his health ” i think it’s fair enough since rafa is consuming himself , every year he schedules a lot of matches which takes a lot from him .
    i dont know if pulling out from Madrid is a good idea ; it may depress him even more ; rafa said before the clay suits his body . so if he doesnt feel that bad i think he would be ready in the few coming days .

9. Holly says:

I’ve been feeling so bad for Rafa, so close to being where he wanted to be only to be let down by his body again. I hope it’s not serious and that play on clay will be ok and not do more damage.

He better forget Madrid….

10. Ch F says:

Just imagine what a great player he is, he still managed to be in the semis on his worst surface while being mentally and sometimes physically blocked by his knees and after having been off court three times in less than a year. When other players were in winning mode and still lost for reasons they can’t explain. I am so hoping he can get over this fear which is perfectly understandable to say the least. He will be invincible if he does.
    *keeping fingers crossed for Rafa* ;-)

• cindy says:

it’s not about the mental anymore now CH F unfortunately it’s more than that , it’s something beyong him , it’s an injury in his knees it’s uncurable ! The slightest twinge can trigger the pain in his knees
      so it’s a serious issue and we should be aware of it !

• Ch F says:

I know, and we’re all aware of that. But the slightest twinge isn’t necessarily a serious injury. In the past, he won tournaments feeling these twinges because the injuries didn’t happen one after the other. What I meant to say is that, given that he’s had the injuries, he’s more afraid now than before that these twinges might evolve in serious injury and that’s where the mental part comes in.

Yes, I think you just put into words what I’ve been trying to say, Ch F. Rafa’s gotta learn to live with this pain, if not…golf, golf, beach, beach, Mallorca, Mallorca. :)

• SallyO says:

We already know that Rafa can play through pain. We already know that he has been playing through pain. And if he could still play through pain, he would. The thing is, his body will no longer allow him too.

Rafa is not a drama queen. It starts out as a twinge, but a twinge (as he knows from oh-so-many experiences) is an indicator of something serious. A twinge becomes a serious tear, or serious X-ititis. He’s at the point now that when there’s a twinge, that’s a red flag to ‘stop’. Usually, Rafa would probably ignore it. But his body isn’t the same as it was when he was a teen. He now realizes that he must listen. It’s not the caution that Rafa needs to stop, it’s his schedule that he needs to stay on top of. It’s the amount of time he allows himself to rest and recoup that he needs to increase.

• Alix says:

At least he’s resting and recouping right at this moment, because Rafa and me (and maybe some million other people) are watching how FC Barcelona is beating Arsenal in Champions League *yippee*

• SallyO says:

I don’t know ANYTHING about soccer except that I want Real Madrid and FC Barcelona to win. I also know of a “Casillas” and “Kaka” and “Ronaldo” but I have no idea who they are. Basically, I go with whatever Rafa says when he’s chatter boxing about soccer. Oh yea, I also know all about his “unbelievable lefty leg”.

VAMOS! I’m glad to hear that they are winning. I can totally picture him all concentrate and crazy cheering with his family and friends. Or sitting in the rain with a plastic rain poncho all by himself but no caring because he’s so into the game. :D

• Alix says:

You surely do know enough about soccer :)

Oh, your visions of Rafa watching soccer are so heart-warmingly lovely, and accurate too!

• Susanna728 says:

I’m thinking the problem is that it must be difficult for him to know the difference — at the moment the pain is happening —whether it could be causing or leading to something serious or to permanent damage, or whether it’s just transient pain he can ignore. That must really mess with an athlete’s mind. Poor sweetie.

• aRafaelite says:

I agree. He spent so long to trying to play through the pain until he couldn’t ignore it, and he’s admitted that he doesn’t want to do that anymore. It must be hard to know when to push himself, and when not to. When it’s serious, and when it’s just a twinge. After the Roddick match he commented “I wasn’t ready to play better in that moment”. Physically AND mentally I think.

• cindy says:

i see now but listen CH F rafa the more he gets older and the more he consumes his body with his defensive game the more his injury gets more serious and more sensible to the slightest twinge ; most doctors say that he has the knees of a 33 years old men because he had abused his knees , he word them out ! some sports men think that might retire prematuraly !
          before Rafa was able to come back to the court to compete and win but now it’s not the case , he hasn’t been able to beat a top ten player for about 10 months and hadn’ got any titles which mean the damages inflicted upon his injury is pretty alarming and he surely knows that , that’s why he’s so damn freaked out !
          take a look at this page , it’s talking abt rafa’s injury ; it’s very interesting :

• Maya says:

The word “speculation” is used when referring to statements made by the doctors in this article, because none of them are privy to Rafa’s private medical records. On the other hand, Uncle Tony stated that the most recent findings from the Spanish medical team specialists indicate that Rafa could play at 100% for 4-5 more years, but that it would be important not to push the knees as he has in the past. I think Rafa pushed himself just as far as he could on the hardcourts at IW and Miami without risking injury. The goal was to make it to the clay with his knees in tact, or at least not screaming. Thankfully he has months of clay and grass ahead of him.

• Ch F says:

Well let’s wait and see what happens then. I agree it’s alarming but we cannot ignore the fact that Rafa has changed to be able to adjust to the knee problem and I respect him even more for that. He retired in the AO which he wouldn’t have done in the past, he changed his game trying to be more aggressive and win points with his serve. I’m worried a lot too, but there’s nothing we can do but support him and wait and see what happens.

11. Eva says:

Changing the treatment might mean changing the doctor? The current approach is obviously not working very well. It seems that Rafa trusts his doctor unconditionally (is it the right word? English is not my first language :-), just like all other members of his team, but maybe they are thinking about trying another specialist now?

• SallyO says:

“unconditionally” would be the correct word if you mean “without doubt or question”.

Hmm, I really think they mean scheduling, because he follows that comment up “…avoid injury to your knees with “…if they are going playing during this season.”

I think that means if they are going to play the COMPLETE European clay court swing (Monte Carlo, Bacelona, Rome, Madrid, FO).

I like the sound of that.

• Eva says:

Thanks, Sally! Yes, this is what I meant.

No problem Eva. :))
          May I ask what your first language is?

• Eva says:

I’m Hungarian. But let’s go back on topic, Miri is strict :))

“I’m Hungarian.”

Nice to meet you. You’re English is fantastic. Your punctuation marks alone would put most of us “native” English speakers to shame. :))

“But let’s go back on topic, Miri is strict”

Aaah, is she now? *fights the suddenly overwhelming urge to rebel*

I’ll be good most of the time, I promise. ;)

• Annie says:

I think you’re right. It’s time for a second opinion. Maybe go to New York City and see a specialist there. Go to an orthopedist who treats football players. Go somewhere for a second opinion. I believe Nalbandian is a patient of the same doctor as rafa. Obviously he’s got a good reputation but there are many many other good joint doctors out there.

12. dk says:

I had written a year ago about his lingering knee problems and how it may very well define Rafa’s limits. I am saddened to hear that the saga continues.

• SallyO says:

“I had written a year ago about his lingering knee problems and how it may very well define Rafa’s limits.”

I don’t mean to come across as a bitch, but I must say this:

• dk says:

So, what’s your point? Are you disputing what I said, or are you agreeing? (don’t take this the wrong way please).

• SallyO says:

“(don’t take this the wrong way please)”

Not at all. But I think it’s pretty clear what I mean. Let’s just say that when I watch the Matrix movies, I have very little patience at times for the character ‘Morpheus’ and his prophesying. In the real world, I have even less patience for the “Morpheus types” at least the movie Morpheus rocked an awesome leather coat and had kick-ass martial arts moves.

“You…. and everyone else, and their moms, and their mom’s psychologists, and the psychologists plumbers, and the plumber’s dentist’s dogs, and their dogs fleas, the the fleas second cousins twice removed, and….”

Oh, but not you then, SallyO? Thank God Rafa has one fan that doesn’t make prophecies… :)

13. iren says:

maybe he shouldnt have to play anything after us open until ao but this decisions are very hard to make i guess if you gove that much of a break you also become too rusty plus you cant be 100 percent sure the injury fully healed as well even you gave your self that much of time..you know the funny thing is everybody becomes an expert when things arent going well inculudind my self sometimes.his results are still rock solid.i mean at least he isnt losing to nobodies.i mean he isnt losing the likes fish rochus or something,thats also shows how great this guy is even with a problematic body at his least favaurite surface.

• faeaki7 says:

“I mean e isn’t losing the likes fish rochus or something, thats also sws how great this guy is even with a problematic body at his leat favaurite surface”

Thats excatly how I feel too.
      Its because of his knees that he isn’t able to push himself when needed to the next level, say when the match gets tight, re: 2nd set Roddick or Ljubijic before that.. he cannot play all out with freedom and this is tough for him for sure… we will just have to wait and see the next few months just how things go, but I shall be supporting himall the way.!

14. Inés says:

I give you , my translation of this article

T. NADAL . “Maybe we should change to a different training”

The coach and Rafael Nadal’s uncle, Toni Nadal, attended the call of Fora de Joc and assessed the participation of his pupil in the tournaments that were played at Indian Wells and Miami. The coach, who stayed in Mallorca, assessed very positively the tennis showed by Rafael, and he regretted the loss in the two semifinals , “I think he has played at a high level, say that of the four-referring to Federer, Djokovic and Murray – he has been the most regular. The pity was the lost to Ljubicic where I think he lacks the peace to win the match, and then in Miami he had a problem in his left knee that prevented him from playing at its highest level. ”

Asked about the nuisance in the knee, Toni Nadal said he does not think are very important, and on Wednesday he will attempt to practice at 100% “Our intention is to practice at high level on Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday we will depart to Montecarlo. This part of the season is the one with less wear physical as they play on clay is less dramatic for the joints, but also the most important. ”

Then Nadal coach did not rule out changing the training to avoid injury to his knees, if these, are going to reproduce during this season. Finally, Toni Nadal said that equality in tennis is becoming bigger, and that the proof of this are the poor performance of Federer Djokovic and Murray this past week in the U.S., where none of the three reached the final rounds

Thanks so much!

• Nana says:

Thanks Inés! Google translations had got us all confused…

I hope Uncle Toni too had a good rest and can come up with some fresh ideas on how to help Rafa improve and stay healthy in the long run.

Muchas gracias, Inés!

• rubik says:

Inés, thanks a million for the translation, which I greatly appreciate. I always find it most important to know what Nadal himself, his team and/or his doctors say exactly, whatever the circumstances are. Thanks again for taking the time to let all of us know here on miri’s site !

15. JK says:

I was wacthing Nadal play Federer at the Monte Carlo finals in 2006. Those were the good old days. Will we get those days back? :(
    young rafa so full of energy, confidence and brimming with enthusiasm.

16. Shake says:

Here is the schedule rafa should play:

-Monte Carlo
    -Rome
    -Madrid
    -FO
    -Queens
    -Wimby

I would skip Barcelona b/c it’s a 500 tournament and it falls in between Monte carlo and Rome. This would be a perfect time for rafa to get some rest for the rest of the clay season. To replace Barcelona, I think he could play hamburg after wimby or Valencia in the fall. I also think rafa could skip some tournaments this fall like last year – Thailand and the year end finals. I think maybe he could also get an injury waiver for either cincinatti or Toronto before the USO. He should minimize consecutive hardcourt tournaments where possible.

I feel so bad for rafa… We all know he would best everyone if he was 100% healthy… VAMOS Rafa !!

17. cindy says:

rafa posted two comments on his facebook page

18. dk says:

Does anyone know if Rafa will be playing Monte Carlo with a knee injury or will he have recovered by the start of the tournament?

• Alix says:

I guess no one knows exactly. Probably something still in the knee but hoping for a manageable situation…

19. faeaki7 says:

Thanks alot for the translation, how I love this site and how everyone is keen to oblige. Hope he has no knee issue and is feeling well. I think he needs to learn to adjust in matches like his opponents do, a new approach. I was surprised in his interview when he said “he surprised me” prehaps because it was Roddick and since taking on his new coach Stefanki he has grown in confidence compared to say last year, HOWEVER, Rafa injury free would have taken that match no end! Prehaps his opponents are aware that he cannot push himself all out aggressive because of the risk of injury? thus making him vulnerable to the top players? Its his turn to prove them wrong, C’mon Rafa, mind of matter!

• Maya says:

I’m pretty sure Andy knew that Rafa would not risk injury with clay court coming up. I think the idea that Rafa could win on hard courts as he did clay is probably pretty much off the table.
      It’s just to damaging. I’d be happy if he just played clay and grass all year.