Facebook updates

Rafa’s been busy in Facebook today. First a status update:

Me encanta el publico en Miami. Siento que es uno de los torneos donde mas me apoyan. La verdad es que me hacen sentir especial y me ayuda muchisimo. Muchas gracias | I love the crowds in Miami. I feel that it is one of the tournaments where I get more support!!! That helps me a lot! Love it

Then, a video of him signing autographs (where he is going down the practice fence – maybe he doesn’t do that on match days or when women carrying scary zoom lenses are about): here.

And, two photos from the autograph frenzy: here and here.

1. Sapphireswell says:

Miri, he signed down the fence a times last year, but he had two to four uniformed police officers around to escort him. (They even got to watch him practice!) This year I only saw one officer and one SEO official to escort him, so I’m sure mob safety and getting the boy off court was probably a big concern.

I think they just grabbed him and ran this year.

Makes no difference to me since I don’t do the autograph thing, but now I’ll be more sure to be on the opposite end from the gate. I did that the first day, but got closer the second since he didn’t go down the fence. I’d like to avoid that mush of people at all costs.

• An says:

Totally see what you mean… I would go crazy or pass out iff i was in such a crowd…..
        Rafa would have to save me…. well now it suddenly don’t sound so bad at all;)

• Sapphireswell says:

Yeah, I tend to stand away from the entrance, but at Pct 10, all of his stuff is placed there, so he’ll sit for a bit, talk w his people, and I get blocked :(

Must arrive early to get good spots… but then I end up missing matches. Decisions!

He sat by the entrance at 10 (and 9) when I saw him. I got shots by leaning on the fence, but there were often people in the way.

And yeah, it’s always difficult choosing between matches and practice. If I can find out a time, I’m inclined to go for a practice session especially if it’s a player that’s usually on the stadium court and you can never see up close otherwise. I keep thinking that I can always watch matches on TV, but the practices are unique to being there in person.

2. Sapphireswell says:

a *few* times last year.

I need to proof read.

3. Salma says:

Oh wow I must of gotten really lucky then at Queen’s club in 08 because Rafa was on his own- walking around the grounds, and I just tapped him on the back (it startled him) and asked him for an autograph and a photo. Wish I can post the photo but he looks too damn good next to me haha (and for privacy reasons too)

4. tiemyshoe says:

I would go completely crazy if people two inches from my face were non-stop SHRIEKING MY NAME. How about some polite comments spoken in a normal tone and leave it at that, people? “Good afternoon, Mr. Nadal. Lovely practice shots. I see you are working on your volleys,” etc. etc. DONE. ;)

• sia says:

or a whisper … meet me later for cocktails ;)

I’ve never understood the sort of behaviour that is displayed in that video. I just don’t see the point at all. Fair enough with the little kids trying to get an autograph, but then you get middle aged men pushing and horny women shrieking and I just feel embarrassed to even watch.

On a lighter note, that clip makes me think of all different words for ‘bottom’ that I know. Sublime arse, Rafa. Just…sublime. ;)

5. faeaki7 says:

how patient is Rafa! I just don’t have the gaul to stand their and scream like that! he is so lovely though to his fans and always smiles when he can….

• Atch2 says:

One of the most patient athletes that ever lived, and he smiled at some points between looking concentrated. I think the sharpie ran out of ink at the end of that session. I’m glad to hear some people said thanks.

Papa Nadal is also in one of the photos! in the same sortof sunnies Rafa wears.