Marching On In Miami

Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Rafa took on his good buddy David Ferrer today. It looks like the first set at least was pretty hard fought. I’ve been a busy bee this week and missed the match again, sadly. I hope that these wins over players he sometimes struggles with are helping his confidence. Rafa wins 7-6, 6-4 to move on to the quarterfinals.

Stats:

Nadal Ferrer
Statistics on Serve
Aces 2 2
Double Faults 1 1
1st Serve % 59% 59%
1st Serve Points Won 30/41 (73%) 31/46 (67%)
2nd Serve Points Won 17/28 (61%) 19/32 (59%)
Break Points Saved 5/7 (71%) 6/9 (67%)
Service Games Played 11 11
Statistics on Return
1st Return Points Won 15/46 (33%) 11/41 (27%)
Second Return Points Won 13/32 (33%) 11/28 (39%)
Break Points Won 3/9 (33%) 2/7 (29%)
Return Games Played 11 11
Statistics on Points
Total Service Points Won 47/69 (68%) 50/78 (64%)
Total Return Points Won 28/78 (36%) 22/69 (32%)
Total Points Won 75/147 (51%) 72/147 (49%)

1. MissyG says:

One thing Rafa will need to ward against is his short landing strokes. Some of them barely crossed the service line and he was lucky Ferrer never really raced in to finish the point. Tsonga won’t be as lenient.

Still, a wins a win. Rusty game, but let’s hope it gets better. On a side note, I LOVE that Lemon Zest Nike outfit. So much brighter and fresh. He reminds me of a sweet!

2. Toosilnet says:

I watched Rafa yesterday as well as Fed’s total unraveling last night. Of the Big 5, Rafa seems to be the only one who isn’t crashing & burning right now. So I’ll take the victory and today is a new day. Vamos, Rafa!!!! He wants to win more than anybody else out there.

3. rubik says:

I have no idea how the person managing the Forty Deuce site will survive the Nadal vs Tsonga match tonight! She absolutely loves BOTH of them.
    Some of the comments on the Miami tournament photos on that site are extremely funny.

Personally, although I think every win in Miami from now on will be a plus for Nadal (he has already defended his 2009 QF result in Miami and Nadal is the ONLY top 4 player to make it to the QF for the 2nd Masters 1000 tournament in a row, and this on both a slower and a faster hard surface), I have a strong feeling that he will WIN his match against Tsonga tonight. VAMOS, Nadal !

Speaking of surfaces, I couldn’t help but smile this morning when I read Federer’s post-match interview after his loss to Berdych last night (yes, the same Berdych against whom Nadal won last week in Indian Wells). Quote from Federer:

“I’m looking forward to the clay court season now. It helps to kind of move on to a different surface. Then this has nothing to do too much with the clay court season, and that helps.
    So I’m looking forward to that. Definitely need to practice harder, and that’s what I’ll do.”

A bit strange to read Federer sounding very much as if he were Nadal…

Link: http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2010/Interview-Transcripts/Interview-Transcripts/Extra-Column/Roger-Federer-FourthRound.aspx

• Madi says:

Thank you for that link! That is really funny! Va-%#$%@#^^#-mos! LOL I can’t stop laughing. Rafa looks really tanned or sun burnt.

Missed the whole match bec totally misjudged when it would start. From the vid posted of the last game Rafa look so happy and relieved, so I think he knew it was a lucky win for him.

Grateful for the win, even if it was an ugly win.

5. JC says:

Seems Rafa was less focused than against Nalbandian, where his intensity was tangible… like no other player he can completely fill a stadium with his presence!
    Against Ferrer, he seemed rather subdued – perhaps not feeling too well physically – but that won’t cut it against Tsonga. He will be pushed so far behind the baseline, that the spectators behind him will be able to smell him (…I know we don’t like to admit it, but I think even our boy smells a little iffy during a match ;-))
    He needs to exude confidence and remember who he is:
    Rafa Nadal, the man who won the greatest tennis match ever!!!
    Found this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkAYh453fE&NR=1 – confidence personified, and the sound he makes at 0:42 is… Rafa!

“…I think even our boy smells a little iffy during a match…”

No way. Rafa only smells of roses. And raspberries. And freshly washed clothes. And coffee. And any other good smell in the world.

No? Oh. OK… ;)

• johanne says:

Cute video. He lost really early at Rome 2008. I don’t think he even won a match. :/

• Rafangel says:

Lost in his first match vs Ferrero, because he had no skin on the ball of his foot (he should’nt have played in the first place but said he didn’t want to let the fans down, and instead of retiring, he finished, so that Ferrero could post the W. Bless him.)

Don’t think he would smell during a match – fresh sweat doesn’t – but wouldn’t want to get too close during a trophy ceremony or something (no, you’re right, actually I would).

• Rafangel says:

Can’t believe I’ve just posted on Rafa’s body odour. Or that I knew what I thought because I’ve thought about it previously :S Meh, it’s his fault for being him.

• JC says:

Yeah, in a presser in Hamburg, which he played after Rome, he said “I couldn’t put my foot on the floor”, but the interview in Rome was made shortly before his match against Ferrero, so he must have realized that his chances of winning were slim. Yet he looks completely relaxed and unworried… his mental fitness was just so awesome at the time, and when the blister was better, he went on to win Hamburg, obliterated his opponents in Paris and raised the trophy at Wimbledon.
        Of course a blister is not a serious injury, but a few months ago it seemed like it would have been enough to rattle him. Just goes to show the extent to which tennis matches are won – and lost – in the head.

6. miri says:

Just watched as much of the match as my cable system/DVR decided I deserved to see (huge chunks of it were pixelated still images) and still think Rafa won more on will and errors from Ferrer than good tennis on his part. 31 unforced errors vs. 16 winners from someone who isn’t playing balls-out aggressive tennis is not something to be happy about.

His backhand wasn’t working all that well and he got burned quite a few times for running around it to hit with his forehand. He really needs to sort that out especially against the players who can rush him by taking the ball early and whacking it hard.

7. Susanna728 says:

Just watched the win over Tsonga online. 6-3 6-2. The best I’ve seen Rafa play this year. Not just shotmaking but strategy, concentration — it was all there. I’m so excited. If he can play that well in the semis — plus how well he’s done recently against big servers (ok well not Ljubicic), Roddick will be no problem. Si!

8. miri says:

Rafa warm up before match:

David’s warm up: