Miami: Team Not-as-Cute are toast – but that’s okay

Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

Total toast. But they went down smiling and having fun. That’s what counts, right? (Let’s just say it does.) The first set was a massacre as Rafa and Tomeu were bageled. Tomeu? Three foot faults in one game. One game. One to cause a double fault. Rafa went over to look at the line, Tomeu’s feet, and then smiled at the line judge. That didn’t stop the foot faults, though, and a bagel didn’t stop the Lemondrop Boys from smiling and talking on the end of set change over.

The second set was a bit more competitive, but just a bit. When Rafa and Tomeu won their first game, there was a HUGE roar from the crowd. Rafa smiled and waved. I almost died laughing. At one point, Rafa pulled in a string near the armpit on his shirt…it just kept coming. He wasn’t the one receiving serve, so one of the Bryan Bros served. Tomeu netted the ball and Rafa looked non-plussed. I think if he’d had greater hope of winning, that would have pissed him off. During the change-over, he continued to pull in the string and, at one point, tried to bite it to cut it. This gave the impression that he was chomping on his arm-pit. Again, I was amused.

It was obvious Rafa and Tomeu are good friends and went into this knowing Tomeu would be seriously out-gunned. They just seemed to accept that, gave it a shot, but weren’t going to beat themselves up if it didn’t work. So, so many smiles and laughs. I’ve never seen Rafa laugh all the way through his service prep right up until the ball toss.

So, my bottom line? Screw the score. That match was oodles of fun and I just feel lucky to have seen it. The TV cameras were on and maned during the match – was it broadcast anywhere?

1. Maya says:

The lemondrop boys look pretty luscious on court. Just glad they had a good time.

2. tiemyshoe says:

Hee-larious descriptions. But no mention of the crotch shot, miri?

Marc! and his not-cute partner won. It’s a bit melancholy to think of Marc! winning without Rafa there. Who would he have conferenced with for 5 minutes before serving? Who was there to bash him with a ball while in I-formation? :'(

3. jba says:

lol! are there any videos up that have recorded this smiley cuteness? i need to see a rafa smile. :)

4. Gottakeeprunning says:

Would love to have seen the match… your descriptions were all we had to go by other than the scoreboard, and that went whizzing along during the first set – the wrong way! I was very happy to hear your reports that Rafa smiled his way through it. I hope Tomeu enjoyed hitting with the big boys!

5. Isabelle says:

Would have loved to have seen Rafa and his loose thread, your description made me LOL! Did you get any shots of that? Thanks for your posts.

Couldn’t help but laugh along as I was reading your write-up. Sounds mightly fun. Bet the Bryan Bros were itching to show them how doubles specialists take care of business.

I want to see Rafa being curious about the foot faulting. Tomeu, how do you get 3 foot faults in 1 game?

But Marc! won is match! Good for him. Bet he has great confidence from winning the IW Masters Serious.

Hey Miri, I saw another photo of Team Cute Toast’s match and the stands seemed pack. Hope you got a good seat. Hope they were supported just as well as the American pair.

8. faeaki7 says:

Funny right up Miri, the chomping on the arm pit made me chuckle, you are so lucky to see this.!!! Rafa in good spirits and laughing all the way through, nice to see, did you managed to get some photo’s?!! sounds like a great evening for the crowd!

9. Nic says:

Aaww love the sound of Rafa smiling, laughing and having a good time on court, so playful. Love that he smiled and waved when the crowd roared :) Reminds me of the marriage proposal at AO and how he smiled, waved and shook his head, hee :) Bet the Bryan bros were none too impressed that their opponents were taking it all too lightly! That pic of the two matching lemon drops is gorgeous. Love that they’re so matching. Rafa looks like he has a speech bubble above his head, the way the logo looks behind him :)

10. Maja says:

hahahaha!Tomeu and Rafa have been friends since they were 7.:D

11. mary says:

Thanks for your description miri. I enjoyed it & imagined myself there & laughing along with them. They string thing & the laughing during his serve must have been precious & priceless. ;-)

12. dutchgirl says:

It sounds like you had a Rafalicious time, Miri! I really enjoyed your match report, wish we could’ve seen it at home as well! I hope you got a lot of photos of smiling and talking Rafa. :D

13. Emma says:

good to know they were laughing and smiling and having fun throught the whole match!
    Rafa all smiles – must have been such a delight!

Read a Bryan Bros tweet:

‘Fun playing Rafa and his twin. Awesome atmosphere on Grandstand.’