Miami: Volunteer blog

Our own kefuoe has started a blog about her experience as a volunteer at this year’s event. Check it out.

1. SallyO says:

ZOMG! The number of people trying to catch a glimpse of Rafa practicing…wooow! He’s such the rock star.

Do your thang Rafa! I hope your tooth is not bothering you too much. Vamos. <3

Kefuoe, I look forward to following your blog. Yay!

“transportation volunteer” and “first shift at 7am”. Does that mean that you will get to go to Rafa’s hotel, wake him up, have breakfast with him and then drive him anywhere he needs to go? Or is that a little bit too much to ask for? ;)

Have a great time!

• An says:

If it is, i’m going to apply for the next tournament now!

Pretty much sure i could convince him that it would be so much easier iff i could start my shift on the night before, sleeping with him…. ehm in his hotel room …. before waking him up on time and do breakfast with him in bed;)

But enjoy Kefou. I’m so curious iff you think you would be able to drive iff it was Rafa you would be driving, anny chance for that?

3. faeaki7 says:

Sounds like you are having a ball Kefuoe, so many fans to watch Rafa do-his-thing! like that, hope his toothy isn’t too much bother it can sure make one pissy.
    Look forward to the rest of your blog Kefuoe and great job!!!thanks!

Lucky you kefuoe. Looking forward to your blogs. If Rafa is in the backseat, please try to keep your eyes on the road, wrap him in cotton wool and be extra careful bec you’re transporting precious property.

Luv Rafa’s new blue sneakers. Hope this means the replacement for the brown shorts will be in the blue or some matching shade.

5. QuitinaV says:

Love the blog already Kefuoe. Thanks for sharing, a lot of us will be living vicariously through you for the next 10 days. Have fun!

6. mary says:

If you needed the smelling salts & first aid for just passing Juan Monaco, then god help you & us, if you have to be behind a wheel at 7 am in the morning & Rafa’s in the backseat. “Disoriantation” is definitely the right word!! ;-)

“Watching Nadal and his team get out of their car (I don’t think they use the transport office cars.), with everyone going ahead and leaving Rafa to manage his 27 bags by himself”

LOL

So enjoy reading this. Your idea for a theme park ride and the fact that the Nadal team are taking the “Rafa should carry his own bags” idea to a different level really cracked me up!

I’d actually try to smell the bottle to see if Rafa left any of his sweet scents behind.

Ah, so THAT’S why Tsonga might be wearing pearl ear studs. Thanks kefuoe

11. xta says:

hi, kefuoe —
    thanks for the GREAT blogging…i have volunteered for the l. a. open, but only as an usher…your blogging made me think about switching…i’m curious — had you ever been to miami before ??? did you know your way around at all ???
    and when it was “your shift” did you have to stay near your transportation captain, or could you wander at all ???
    thanks again for the inside look — i really enjoyed it !!!

• kefuoe says:

I had been to Miami several times in the past and I’d been to the tournament once before, but I was far from being knowledgeable about the surroundings. On my first day I had a volunteer show me the major hotels and I later went on a “supervised” airport run. In the end it was pretty simple, since the hotels were in three major areas, all pretty easy to find.

I tended to stay close by the transportation office during my shift, but we were allowed to roam a bit as long as we had a cell phone on hand so that we could be called back if needed. As it happens, the transportation area was next to the players’ entrance and exit, so it was a fun place to hang out anyway.

And kefuoe’s lack of 100% sure knowledge of the area can be fun. For example, when she drove me to South Beach my last night so I could see some deco, we ended up a wee bit unsure of things, parked in the first parking garage we could find and then strolled around to find a place to eat. That place ended up being right next to Rafa’s favorite restaurant in Miami. By complete accident, of course. In fact, we didn’t even realize we were next to it until after we’d eaten and were walking back to the car – thus passing it for a second time.

(There are three of them in the city and I’m not sure if we were by “his” or not, but it still cracked me up.)

12. Alix says:

Thanks for the blog kefuoe – it’s so lively written.
    I like the way you describe all the different details and moods. It was a joy to read it!

Thanks for your blogs. They were a joy to read. I hate driving but your stories made it sound fun to be driving people and luggage around.

Fav story is of Rafa’s laundry. Charcoal Calvins? Really? And you didn’t get a glimpse of his White-ones? LOL

Luv your photo of Rafa’s Team where they’re chilling and Maymo is doodling with his pen on Roig’s racquet. Rafa seems to have developed a bit of a beer belly. Also luv photo of mini-Verdasco.

Rafa’s laundry? RAFA’S LAUNDRY!? OMFG I would have HAD to pick something up from that bag to smell it…

“…his clean clothes.”

Oh, it was clean.

*shrugs*

Guess I would have smelt those Calvins anyway. ;)

Thanks for blogging, kefuoe (and thanks for reminding me to read the last blogs, Atch2, without knowing you did ;)). I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading this stuff and will look at your photitos when I have time.

• An says:

Hah, i was reading it at the same time…. Smell the Calvins…. i would deffinitly have stolen or begged for one!! Altough they would be to big for me i would try to wear them under my jeans at least once ( i admit i do sometimes with BF’s ones;))

Uuuuhm… Anyway i’m sure youre not intrested in my sometimes a little strange habbits… but i do like to thank you for youre blogs too Kefuoe! They where a joy to read and you deffinitly convinced me to try and apllie for a voluntuer job for a tournament too! Thanks.

“Smell the Calvins…” Did I say that I would do that? Surely not. Hah. ;)

It’s fine to wear BF’s pants. And I totally would with Rafa’s. So. Totally. Would. Urm…yeah. :D

• Atch2 says:

:) CC

Luv the image of Papa Nadal & Benito guardg his laundry. Almost makes me want to volunteer to do laundry.