Miami: Doubles draw

Photo by JAIME REINA/AFP/Getty Images

The doubles draw came out today. Rafa and Tomeu will face the Bryan Brothers in the first round. Can Team Not Quite As Cute knock out the top seeds? And Marc! is rebounding from the dump with Bellucci. They’ll play Kas/Norman in the first round.

1. Madi says:

Why is he not playing with Marc! this time????? I like them together! so kiddish and cute

2. SallyO says:

Ah, Rafa will do more than his share to hold up the Cute. It will be challenging that’s for sure. Does Tomeu even actually PLAY tennis? I know he hits with Rafa, but has he ever played “hardcore” like Rafa’s buddy Marc! ?

Vamos!

• SallyO says:

*By challenging, I mean beating the twins, not Rafa holding up the cute.

• robert says:

Sure he plays tennis, on a slightly lower level than Marc. As juniors he and Rafa were part of a triumphant team of Spain in the World Cup (junior Davis Cup) and later on they played doubles on several occasions, even winning tourneys (Chennai 2007 comes to mind).

• SallyO says:

HA! Thanks a bundle Robert! I knew that every person that is a friend of Rafa’s has a level of ‘awesome’ in them. I think that it’s a TALL order for them to topple the Bryans, but you never know, no?

It’s fantastic that you know that. Rafa was a factor in Davis Cup even as a youngster? Why am I not surprised? :D

Looking at the photo, how cute is Rafa? He’ll one day make a great Dad and he’d be a fantastic coach. Plus, he totally lent Tomeu that outfit (like he did his buddy Marc! in Doha). Such a sweetie looking after his friends and family. Wouldn’t expect anything less.

3. tiemyshoe says:

LOL at Rafa bossin’ Tomeu at golf in that photo. Bossyface.

Team NAC better lose to the Bryans (no shame in that) so Rafa can focus on singles and nurse his teeth. Play like crap, Tomeu, thanks.

4. miri says:

Tomeu’s profile on the ATP site. He’s marked as “inactive”. Highest singles rank: 288 in 2007. Highest doubles rank: 133 also in 2007.

• SallyO says:

Argh! He doesn’t even have a profile pic. Anytime I look at a player’s profile and there is no pic I feel weird….like I would if I were looking at a police album trying to identify a criminal. Yeah, that made no sense. But it’s how I feel.

Obviously the wild card grant was because of Rafa. I find it interesting that they’d allow an “inactive” player to participate in a Masters 1000. Then again, they let Rafa play with his coach last year, so..whatevs.

• tiemyshoe says:

I think they’d let Rafa get a wild card playing with ME. ;)

Apparently Tomeu was quite good as a junior – he and Rafa, playing together and apart, basically won all the kiddie tournaments in Spain. And he hits with Rafa often, so his skills have gotta be good. Yet they went on radically different trajectories – that’s always interesting to me.

• SallyO says:

Haha, good point re- the wild card.

Francisco Roig is listed as his coach. I’m guessing he’s his full time coach? As opposed to a part time coach like he is with Rafa (a quick shout out: we miss you Uncle Toni! <3)

I find it interesting how he is also a lefty. There are a lot of Spanish/Mallorcan lefties.

• Inés says:

He has retired as a professional tennis player, but he is working in the Manacor Tennis Club as a tennis instructor and practicing with Rafa when Rafa is in Manacor

Hey they’s both the same age, similar height and weight, and both left-handed. Should be interesting watching them play the Bryan Bros. And I think they will look super cute playing together, but a different cute to Rafa and Marc!

• Karen says:

Tomeu’s full name is so fab. I’m having trouble remembering it! Can’t wait for some footage of this new TEAM. I’m sure there must a long list of players wanting to take to the court with Rafa as a doubles partner,he’s so patient,amiable & talented what more could a team-mate want?

6. EJL says:

the two Mallorcan men and childhood buddies will enjoy their team tennis ,no doubts here. and if Tomeu is considered to be inactive Fafa won’t let him go rusty on court and will make him catch up with his kick-ass tennis :) as in 2007 on red clay when they made it to the final but not more.. if this won’t happen again no worries to me as i agree with tiemyshoe looking forward to rafa’s full concentration on singles, besides he sees the doubles as the workouts and the mean of improving netplay aggressive return to the serve and so on according to his presser.

7. Marilyn Wasserman says:

If Rafa decided to play doubles with his grandfather the ATP would probably wild card him in. :p

I really don’t think Team Hotness will get past the Bryans. But then I didn’t think Roddick (or Rafa!) would lost to Ljubi aka the Accident Waiting to Happen so what do I know?

8. faeaki7 says:

I think Tomeu is kind of cute anyway, and I cannot wait to see a video and some photos of these two, hope they give the Bryans bros a run for their money it should be fun! I love the way Rafa gets his foot in the door re a wildcard with just about anyone because he is Rafael Nadal its always an improved selling point no matter who he plays with, people wanna see him! no matter what!

• Madi says:

Yeah, but the seats were half empty remember? I don’t understand why people wont go, from all the footage I’ve seen, the matches were so great. I mean even if it not about matches, who can resist when Marc/Rafa played with Feli/Nando! How better can it get?!