Rankings: March 22nd

As Atch2 reminds me, the new rankings are out. Rafa drops to #4 and Tsonga’s back in the top ten.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 11,035 0 19
2 Djokovic, Novak 8,220 0 21
3 Murray, Andy 6,835 +1 17
4 Nadal, Rafael 6,800 -1 18
5 Del Potro, Juan Martin 6,095 0 19
6 Davydenko, Nikolay 5,335 0 27
7 Soderling, Robin 4,245 0 26
8 Roddick, Andy 3,960 0 20
9 Cilic, Marin 2,935 0 23
10 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 2,915 +1 23

In better news, he jumped up the doubles rankings 175 places to #66. Heh.

1. Natalia says:

oh, It’s too bad Rafa is on fourth.. But still, I’m waiting for clay season, where will be his great comeback :) [I hope so..]

2. kyukee says:

sad sad day

• Karen says:

Not too concerned whether Rafa’s 3rd or 4th since on last weeks performances by the others in top 4 it’s unlikely they’ll all get to semis anyway. Love how Rafa’s doubles ranking is #66 after only 5 tournies played, and when you realize how many of their opponents last week are so highly ranked no wonder we’re so thrilled with their performance. Can’t wait for Miami draw to see if they’ll be at it again.

• dutchgirl says:

The doubles ranking please me as well. Nice to see he climbed 175 spots!
        And I’m not worried about the #4 ranking, first thing Rafa’s gotta do right now is win a (singles!) title.

The difference between Rafa and Murray now is minor and Murray has to defend Miami to keep his full points. Nole’s points are mainly from the end of last yr and Fed got a boosted points buffer from winning AO 10. So I’m actually ok about Rafa moving to no. 4 and expect him to rotate within the top 5 during the first half of this yr.

& don’t forget Marc! jumped up the doubles rankings 50 places to no. 38.
    Rafa and Marc! are even higher ranked than Nando and Feli.

• Nana says:

I heard somehow the ranking system now favours the slam winners more but what exactly is the “boosted points buffer”?

thanks!

• tiemyshoe says:

My thoughts exactly on the rankings. It makes me smile to see Team Cute’s rankings jump. Marc! is ranked higher than Rafa in dubs now (#38 to Rafa’s #66), so should they play together again, he should feel free to boss Rafa around. ;)

4. faeaki7 says:

I just hate to see those points keep dropping! He has so many points to defend this season and in Barca the field will be really strong this year, so its getting tougher for Rafa! Nice to see that you all remain so positive, I am still so sad he lost to Ljuby but at least he lost to the eventual champion, if Roddick had a beaten him in straights now that would have looked bad! the croat really found some inspiration and played without pressure…

5. Ch F says:

I knew this was coming so no big drama for me today. New week, new tournament, let’s starts fresh Rafito!

6. Susanna728 says:

I’ve become convinced that the rankings aren’t that important to Rafa and I’ve stopped worrying about them too. He’s still a champion with 36 singles titles and 6 majors – Nole and Andy, at about the same age,are nowhere near that. Rafa is and always will be considered one of the greatest of all time.

7. Susanna728 says:

One more thought on the rankings – Andy has 1000 points to defend in Miami. Rafa only has to defend 180 points there. Unless Andy wins the tournament he’ll lose a minimum of 400 points. He’s only 35 points ahead of Rafa right now. I.e., unless Andy wins Miami, Rafa will be back in 3d place no matter what. (Let me know if you think my calculations are wrong….)

8. faeaki7 says:

Oh I think you are right Suzanne, the way things are at the mo, apart from Fed the top 2-3-4and 5 are all unpredictable in the next few months, but for Miami it all depends on results for Rafa and Andy. *prays for Rafa*

9. faeaki7 says:

Well said Suzanne, I feel better now!

10. Anita says:

Thanks Susanna. That helps me figure out what’s going on with the rankings. So VAMOS RAFA! in Miami. And sorry Murray, can’t support you this time. :)