#3 seeds? Team Cuteness says “HA!”

Like most of you, I missed out on seeing team cuteness take on the #3 seeds on doubles, Dlouhy and Paes*. But take them on they did. Rafa and Marc! made it through in 3 sets (well, 2 sets and a super tie break – it always feels like cheating calling that 3 sets): 6-4, 3-6, 10-6. Right now, Verdasco/F. Lopez are leading their match, so perhaps we will be blessed with the doubles match of super Spanish hotness…although most of us will not get to see it. *sigh*

Some doubles footage posted by BNPParibasOpen and passed on by Rafafan:

Stats:

R Nadal/M Lopez L Dlouhy/L Paes
Statistics on Serve
Aces 0 3
Double Faults 1 6
1st Serve % 67% 68%
1st Serve Points Won 25/40 (63%) 29/44 (66%)
2nd Serve Points Won 11/20 (55%) 10/21 (48%)
Break Points Saved 4/6 (67%) 3/5 (60%)
Service Games Played 9 10
Statistics on Return
1st Return Points Won 15/44 (34%) 15/40 (38%)
Second Return Points Won 11/21 (34%) 9/20 (45%)
Break Points Won 2/5 (40%) 2/6 (33%)
Return Games Played 10 9
Statistics on Points
Total Service Points Won 36/60 (60%) 39/65 (60%)
Total Return Points Won 26/65 (40%) 24/60 (40%)
Total Points Won 62/125 (50%) 63/125 (50%)

* I had a ticket from Zoez (who was doing her best to get me there – including staying up late to email me the pdf tickets), but I didn’t have one for my friend and the event was sold out except for the super-expensive seats (like the lovely one Zoez gave me). I just couldn’t ask her to drive me around, find something to do on her own for hours on end, then come pick me up and drive me back to LA. I figured friendship is more important than a tennis match. Dammit. Zoez, I did my best to pass on the tickets to others, but it was so last minute, I wasn’t able to do so. I’m sorry.

1. Kate says:

I hope Rafa and Marc play doubles in Miami – they did last year cos I watched them lose heehee.

2. Kate says:

oooo and no awful shorts maybe he heard us?

3. Nada H T says:

WOW

SOOO CUTE

THE STADIUM IS FULL !

Don’t blame them, wish i WAS there :)

• Atch2 says:

Saw a bit of the Murray match and the stadium was not as full.

I luv how Marc! pops up at the net after Rafa serves, and how he is so bouncy as he eagerly waits for the opponent to serve, while Rafa has a more composed positioning.

4. sia says:

Grrrr … I like the plaid.
    Tis a tennis sin not to broadcast ( so that we can livestream ), a doubles match between Rafa, Marc!, Feli and Fer.

YES! Team Cute Dorky beat the 3rd seeds!!!

Team Cute Dorky vs Team Hot Metrosexual!

We are blessed that we will see on livescores (or hear about) 4 Spanish men play doubles together. So guys, keep any strategy talk to a whisper coz the other team can understand you.

6. aRafaelite says:

I’m considering sending a message to TennisTV telling them that I’ll cancel my subscription if they don’t show Team Sweet Chilli Sauce v Team Hot Tabasco Sauce… Vamos Chicos! I don’t care which team wins as long as there are lots of photographers there to capture all the shirt changes and dorky moments :D

• Atch2 says:

And that’s why I’m so grateful for the person that took the above vid for us to see.
      It looked like a packed and noisy crowd.

Wonder if the top doubles teams dislike it when the top singles players like Fed, Nole or Rafa play doubles just to gain match practice. But I think it is good for the doubles format overall bec more people will come to watch it.

• aRafaelite says:

I actually did message TennisTV about this… but haven’t had any response from them yet! Unless the match is scheduled 1st or 2nd I’ll miss it anyway. But, hey, it’s worth a try… if they know people want to watch Hot Spanish doubles matches, maybe they’ll start showing them more often?!

7. rose smith says:

Miri, thanks for your tips for IW, since I really was a babe in the woods there. Guess what, I go in at 10.00 am friday when the gates open and just happened to go to the first practice court in sight and got Rafa playing with Tipsarvik. Rafa is so lean in person and was wearing really nice white shorts (not the awful ones as on saturday). Did not get his autograph :( but still very happy.

Loved the Hit for Haiti except some of Agassi’s comments. Could not get the saturday ticket (would have missed Rafa anyway since had to drive back saturday night)

Saw Andy Murry practicing in 2.00 heat with his shirt off. Wish it was Rafa :(

Vamos Rafa/Marc!! I was watching the live scores for a bit last night, but was too sleepy to stay up after the first set. So happy to see they won!

“…doubles match of super Spanish hotness…” You know, I really tried to find Verdasco hot when he was playing on Saturday. But I really don’t. His hair annoys me. And his fugly clothes. Nor do I find Feliciano hot. They’re cute together though!

• djb says:

Feliciano is probably 10x hotter than Fernando, in my honest opinion.

• An says:

Both are a little bit too beautifull imo but together they are cute indeed!
        But Marc! and Rafa stay my favourites;)

• Atch2 says:

They are part of a sweet bromance.

• tiemyshoe says:

And I thought I was the only one in the world who finds Verdasco really mehhhh. Objectively, he’s hot, but he just doesn’t do it for me. He’s too groomed and scrubbed. Feli is better – he has more of a goofy, ironic personality that seems cooler to me.

9. djb says:

I’m amazed at how good of a doubles player Rafa has become. He and Marc played fantastic, and now, on to Feli and Nando. I’m sure with the 4 of them on court, it’ll be hot enough to make the court melt, lol. Doubles has never been sexier than it is now!! I wish they televised this. Would’ve been awesome!

Congrats Rafa & Marc! Now…………time to take down those other Spanish pretty boys!!!

10. Maria says:

More Rafa & Marc acting…like they do. Those two should be teamed up for any charity event which intends to be genuinely funny.

11. Ch F says:

OMG the weather seems so nice it makes me want to cry! It’s still so cold here :-( .
    It’s good for Rafa to get some more extra play and win, which is good for the confidence as well, no?

12. dutchgirl says:

Your friend must be so lucky to have you as a friend, miri! Me? Honestly I don’t know what I would have done with that ticket – luckily I have never been in that position. But to know that Rafa and Marc! are playing doubles, which you hardly get to see….

Photos of Team Cute:

That white t-shirt is very versatile. It goes with brown checkered shorts, grey shorts and now white shorts.

• Maria says:

those pics are delicious. so are the comments. thanks for pointing them out.
      now on to rafa’s match with ancic. no more wind would be appreciated.

14. reemo says:

A late comment, but I can’t pass this without saying , Really really awesome post title .. I cant stop the smile each time I read it :)

OOP is up and the doubles is on Stadium 1 (not before 5pm), but maybe changed. So we may get to see these guys on tv after all. Please please tennis gods.