IW: Pre-tournament interview

Photo by Harry How/Getty Images North America

Rafa’s interview is up on tennistv.com. At least, I hope this link works – the wireless in my hotel is too slow for the video to play for me.

It works fine. I haven’t got a clue what Rafa said though. Those lips… Ahhh…those eyes… The skin…

I think I need to get off the computer now or I’ll sit here oggling all day. ;)

• An says:

Yep i’m going to leave it for now too, but whit what image on my eyes…..

This interview and Miri’s pics being the last i have seen here….

Sigh, the world is a beautifull place while Rafa is in it!

2. Maria says:

Rafa looks gorgeous here. Red definitely suits him, makes him glow like a gem.
    Slighlty more interesting quotes from the pre-tournament press conference are again published by marca, with Rafa saying it’s difficult to accept that, after all the hard work during the pre-season, he got injured in the second tournament of the year. That he felt he could win the AO. He also adds that he’s only 23, something which, he says, people tend to forget. (Gimelstob should have read that before asking him about kids!). He likes IW so much because it has an out-of-this-world quality. He also says that he likes how the video clip turned out, but that he would have liked the last bits to be shorter. About the clay court schedule: he doesn’t feel that he should change something which has worked for him so far.
    Now, let the tennis begin please…

• Necitas says:

I like your translation Maria…I just like it. I miss Rafa!!!

• Atch2 says:

Thanks Maria, I was trying to look for the transcript from the full press con. The 2 vids only show small portions of the interview.

I’m sure Rafa said that the last bit of the Shakira video should have lasted LONGER, not shorter… Oh, Rafa, you flirt! ;)

• Necitas says:

“Oh, Rafa, you flirt!”

Shall I say, I couldn’t agree less… Oh, Rafa, you flirt! hehe! oh, I mean jeje!:) Happy Birthday CC!

3. Rafafan says:

mmmmm “he wished the last bits of the video clip to be shorter”. I wonder why that was! Much longer and slower with me underneath is just fine.

Now for tennis. I see Rafa scheduled to play probably around midnight/12.30am English time tonight (Kim Clijsters starts not b4 11pm/3pm Calefornia time – so I guess that will take minimum 1 hour and Rafa after that)Guess will be getting to bed around 3am in the morning and with Rafa’s match they are normally quite long which will be great for drooling over him but I know that’s selfish and we have asked our boy to keep the points short!

Is Pico short for Juan Monaco? Monaco is playing Fabio Fognini court 6 around the same time that Rafa plays.

Miri – do you knkow with the way the draw is that Rafa anf Fognini could face each other?

4. Rafangel says:

A cheering interview clip from Rafa here:

I hope their paraphrasing is accurate, that’s all. Can’t check it cos they don’t mention the source.

• Rafangel says:

Ah, it’s the same presser as in Marca :) I think this merits quoting in full: “I always do what the doctor tells me, and in this respect I’m calm. I’m only 23, not 28, which people forget sometimes, and I feel fortunate to have what I have at this age.” Classic Rafa :) And he’s put his finger on why IW is one of my fav tourneys as well.

• Atch2 says:

And I like the sound of
      ‘but it appears that if he’s tired or hurt, he might be willing to skip Madrid.’.

5. faeaki7 says:

Yep me too Atch2, it would be the best thing for Rafa if he were to not go to Madrid, but its such an obligation so I understand his predicament, but at least by saying in advance, “if tired or hurt is willing to skip Madrid” ,(which obviously he will be!),then he sort of covers himself incase he were to withdraw, smart thinking Rafa!