Well, d’uh!

Photo by Beth Wilson

In the “blatantly obvious” category today, we have a report titled “Nadal concerned about injuries” – I mean, he’d be neck deep in denial if he wasn’t, right?

Rafael Nadal “is worried” about his constant injuries although the former top-ranked player is confident of getting back to his best form, according to Spain’s Davis Cup captain Albert Costa.

“He is worried about his physical state but he’s working every day to get better,” Costa said on Wednesday.

So, panicky headline turns into “no big deal” within the first sentence of the article. Shocker.

“Until last year at Roland Garros and the problems, he had achieved everything,” Costa said. “It’s normal, after 22 years and winning everything, to have some down time.”

Indeed.

1. tiemyshoe says:

Yeaa-ah. Pretty much everything that is wrong with lazy sports journalism is encapsulated in this article.

• mary says:

I’m not surprised. Journalism is about news & if there isn’t much to say then why not grab peoples attention with a sensational headline. “Well d’uh!”, says it all.

2. faeaki7 says:

Perfect example of overhyped journalism d’uh! exactly!

I hate it when I get a papercut. Everyone is worried about injuries, especially athletes and they are still turning up on the ATP tour so early in the yr. Davy just retired in Dubai.

• Nic says:

Wha? Davy retired? Somehow never imagined that against his name. Just cos lately he’s been scary fit like a dynamo.

4. Missy says:

Two things on tennis-related that absolutely pisses me off.

Articles/headlines like the above.
    The retarded tennis schedule.

Oh, and Fedal wars. Make that THREE things that piss me off.

*grabs jar of Nutella and uploads pictures/videos of Rafa’s Gypsy video that stars Shakira*

5. Nic says:

So many of these journalists get me riled up. Reminds me of that AP article last week with the headline that Roger questioned Rafa’s drive. How freakin manipulative. In the actual interview it was more his observation that Rafa was not so intent on the no. 1 now while Fed’s main goal is just that. And this from an AP article, which gets circulated to press around the world. Ugh.

6. natch says:

*yawns*
    *rolls over*
    *nudges Rafa*
    WHAT?!
    Rafa is injured?!
    When did that happen?!!!
    *pseudo panics* ;)

7. dutchgirl says:

I really like the banner to this post!

8. MJ says:

I just reread this article…I thought it was a statement by his agent…Carlos Costa (that is his name, no?) not Albert Costa…seem like something a reasonable conversation to have with the Davis Cup captain re: your injury concerns…

They are making such a big deal about this!!!