AO quarterfinal photos

Photos by GREG WOOD/AFP/Getty Images, Ryan Pierse/Getty Images, PAUL CROCK/AFP/Getty Images, TORSTEN BLACKWOOD/AFP/Getty Images, Clive Brunskill/Getty Images, REUTERS/Daniel Munoz, REUTERS/Mick Tsikas, REUTERS/Tim Wimborne, JOHN DONEGAN/AFP/Getty Images, Cameron Spencer/Getty Images, and Lucas Dawson/Getty Images

1. nic says:

So tough to see the last few pics. Poor darlin.

2. aRafaelite says:

Okay, I kept myself together until I saw pics 24 and 25. Now I’m gonna cry! I haven’t even wiped the paint off my face yet.

3. Deepti says:

My tears had dried. But after seeing these pics I’m crying all over again.

4. SapphireSwell says:

I haven’t stopped reeling from this morning. I can’t even imagine what Rafa’s feeling now, tho pic 20 might be a clue.

However, I’m really glad that he didn’t just push through the pain and injure himself even more. I hope he has a speedy recovery and to see in back on court soon (and in a better time zone. Exhausted at work. Again.)

5. Emma says:

he was sucking his cheeks in quite a bit – so adorable.

Right, I was going to talk how I want to help him up from that fall in pic #8 and nuzzle the back of his sweat soaked neck in pic #14 and then kiss him better in #15…because he kind of looks like he needs it.

However, I decided that instead I will look at pic #4 and say VAMOS, just like Rafa. What a fantastic photo, no?! :)

Sorry, *talk about* how I want to…

8. Sofia says:

No more pink. No more orange. No more weird prints on the shorts. I love all of Rafa’s outfits, especially his more colorful ones. But they are so damned unlucky.

I woke up at 2 in the morning to watch this match, figuring that I probably won’t even get back to bed because it was so long. I cried myself back to sleep at not even 4:30.

I just want old Rafa back. I think I saw little glimpses of him in most of his AO matches, but never for the whole match.

We just need to remember that this is all happening for a reason, and one day it’ll all be better. Hopefully around June 6th.

• fanatic says:

i know i’m being superstitious about this but i really think that these outfits of his lately are unlucky! he looks great in the orange and pink but i don’t think it’s working for his psyche (?). remember in rg, he was wearing the pink collared shirt. if you look at his winning photos, he’s mostly wearing blues and greens…

9. faeaki7 says:

Sofia, there certainly were glimpses if not much more than that from Rafa in this match, at times he was brilliant. There is no other player that I would rather watch than Rafael Nadal in full flight, he is sublime. Murray served big today especially when it counted making life really tough for Rafa, these pictures are a reflection of his frustration, both mentally and as we know now, physically. I hope he gets better and is saving himself for the important part of the season when he can shine. Everyone else seems so flat compared to Rafa!

10. Emma R says:

Goodness they told the story well. Have to go and run a forum in a minute and have gone a bit snuffly. Again.

Even though he isn’t actually in it, I think pic 9 sums Rafa up to a T. Every last drop.