AO Rafa blog & Q&A day 7

Photo by Mark Dadswell/Getty Images

A new entry is finally up.

Sorry there was no blog yesterday but I went to bed pretty early last night since I had an early pick-up this morning.

I’d scheduled my warm-up session at 10am so I had the car at 8.30am.

I know it’s not that early for normal people who go to work or to an office, but considering we spend many hours at the tournament site and even on court playing, it’s pretty early to be up by 7.30 or 8 to get ready for the match …

I get up and go to work in an office and it’s still early for me. Being a non-morning person in the “real world” sucks.

Anyway, I went to bed early and hadn’t received the questions.

Not sure I have commented on this before, but some people ask me why I get my warm-up SO early compared to other players.

Uh, wasn’t that discussed just two blog entries ago?

I prefer to be there and waiting but ready rather than late for my warm-up and do things wrong.

We knew the match before mine would go at least for one hour and a half, if not more, but you never know.

If one of the two players retire we have to be ready immediately and I need to be properly warmed up. So I choose to be there early.

I can’t imagine how difficult it is to properly prepare yourself mentally and physically for a match when you don’t have a set start time.

Tomorrow I will wake up around 8.45 and I will watch on TV the Spanish soccer game between Real Madrid and Malaga.

The thing is that the match is shown here delayed so I will have all my phones, computer and friends off so I can watch the match in my room without knowing the score.

So no spoiling it for him! (How does one set their friends into the off position? That might come in handy.)

It will be like live for me … then I will go to the site to practise…

Thanks to all for our support. I hear the blog is being liked so that’s great (that’s what Jim said to me today on court).

Thanks.

Rafa

Your interviews with Jim are liked as well.

Q: I HOPE you know you have a lot of fans staying up all night to watch your matches, especially during last year’s AO (you know which match I’m talking about).

Rebecca Lin, Los Angeles

RAFA: I know. The time difference is a killer for a lot of people.

Yes, please excuse the black circles under our puffy eyes.

Hi RAFA. It’s my birthday today and your victory today was an awesome present, even though I knew you’d win. Since I’m having cake, I was wondering … what’s your favourite type of cake?

Good luck for your future matches! And I hope you’re the champion once again!

M. Yamaguchi, Sydney

Many thanks and happy birthday. Chocolate cake is my favourite.

Shocking!

I KNOW you’re a big soccer fan and I was wondering if you know much about any of the Australian players and the Socceroos.

Jock Green, 9

I have seen them play a few times. I still remember that match against Italy.

Oh, that match. (I’m sure that makes sense to footy fans, but it cracked me up for some reason.)

I WAS wondering whether you have an opinion about why more of the men than women players seem to be super fit. It looks like you can still make the women’s top 20 and not be in really great shape.

W James, Fitzroy

I am sure they are all very much in shape. It is not easy.

It’s their mental shape that is more problematic.

HOLA Rafa, Thank you for taking the time to answer some of your fans’ questions! My question is if you got married soon who would be your best man?

M Williams, Australia

Believe me it is not my intention for the moment so I didn’t even think about what you are asking!

Don’t try to retire or marry him too soon!

DO you like watching cartoons? Which character do you like best?

Aaron, China

Yes I do. Dragonball is my fav.

*tries to not roll eyes* *doesn’t succeed*

HOLA Rafa, You are truly magnificent both physically and mentally! Are you religious or spiritual in any way?

Natalie Purdon, Mornington

Not much, sorry.

No need to apologize.

1. SapphireSwell says:

HA! I’m laughing pretty hard right now from the cartoon question. I can’t believe he would bring up his love for Dragonball yet again. *more giggles*

2. Courtney says:

Since I’m sure he won’t read this: Woohoo, RM won 2-0! Although both goals (and a redcard) were from CR :\ But I guess Rafa would like that…

3. teejustice says:

Not surprising that futbol was discussed. Surprising that I saw that match in the cable guide today. I immediately wondered if Rafa would be able to watch it albeit live would have been about 7a or so in Oz. No surprise that our man found a way to catch the match.

4. Nana says:

Some of Rafa’s “favourites” baffle me: C Ronaldo, dragonball, Gladiator… But WTH, I love him anyway!

5. g says:

I have to admit I don’t know the dragonball reference. Can someone please explain? Thanks.

6. Eliana says:

Actually, I was thinking about how a lot of the female players aren’t in such a good shape during this week. And I know mental strength and endurance are much important that if one has belly(I should talk, I have like 3!), but I understand were this question comes from.

And poor Xisca! Another question about marriage were his answer is practically “I’m not crazy! Stop trying to marry me so young!” But really people, they’re VERY young. Hell, I’m 30 and I’m not prepared!

7. faeaki7 says:

I like his focused preperation and how he arranges everything! so he can watch his beloved football, I watched it tonight too, thinking I hope they win, will boost Rafa’s spirits.
    Nice to here that he is staying focused.
    I am sure Rafa has he thoughts on women tennis players but he has far too much respect to critisize I am sure, saying its not easy staying in shape etc, I know he admires Henin, Clijsters, Serena for obvious reasons and a little soft spot for Carolina Wozniaki who sadly lost today.
    Mmmm must be hard for Xisca, but I am sure she must know what she was letting herself infor when she became involved with a global tennis star like Rafa, his charisma and looks are what attract him to his fans yet he seems the sort of guy that is loyal and committed and so grounded, although a little flirt,” which would give her alot of comfort, she is one lucky lady!
    and she is even younger than Rafa and must know being only 23, Rafa has alot more to do in his career before he can ever think of marriage, why complicate your life?
    Love the comments miri, cracked me up..

• Karyn says:

I don’t understand the reference to Carolina Wozniaki. I must have missed an interview or something. Why do you say this?

Heh, I was wondering about the footie, too. I knew it would be too early for him to watch it, but I’m not surprised he had a good plan in place!

9. Courtney says:

Uh, guys, what’s with all this ‘oh, poor Xisca!’ Who ever said that SHE wants to get married? I hate hate hate when people assume that all females dream of nothing but marriage from childhood and that as soon as they find a decent guy they immediately expect a proposal. She’s a student, she doesn’t follow him around like a typical WAG, she has her own life… I’m sure they’re on the same page about this.

I’m seriously glad they’re not thinking of marriage yet because they are incredibly young and have never spent an extended period of time together (I’m talking years, and also living together). But my point is that I hate when people gender stereotype by saying men are never ready to commit and all girls long to get married. Ugh.

• Isabelle says:

Yes Courtney! I also cringe at the assumption that the woman wants to marry.

I think Rafa’s reply to the marriage question is his polite way of saying “that’s none of you’re dang business”. And he’s absolutely right.

10. Suzanne says:

But I have to say that if/when they do marry, I’d love to be the nanny for their kids! Can you imagine the beauty that would come from those genes? I agree, however, that people need to keep the questions on a less personal level and whoever is picking them needs to be a little bit more particular…Forget the clothes and footie questions and the next time someone asks about chocolate, they should be directed to the archives somewhere. Who the heck that knows anything about Rafa doesn’t know of his love of chocolate?