Skipping Dubai

Rafa is most probably skipping the Dubai tournament to give himself time to rest up before the US hard court season – per this article. Rafa’s quotes from the article:

Rafael Nadal tonight announced that he does not plan to participate in next month’s Dubai Tennis Championships as the world No2 looks to negotiate a busy 2010 schedule.

Nadal, fresh from winning the Capitala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi courtesy of a straight sets-victory against Robin Soderling, said he will look to use the break to rest ahead of a gruelling summer programme, especially after he missed six weeks of last season because of tendinitis in both knees – an injury that prevented him defending his Wimbledon title in July.

“I don’t think [I’ll play in Dubai],” said Nadal after defeating Soderling 7-6, (7-3), 7-5 at Zayed Sports City International Tennis Complex. “It depends if I have very bad results in Doha, Australia and Rotterdam [in the coming month], then maybe, but it’s not on my calendar.

“I didn’t stop at the end of last season. I practised for two-and-a-half weeks and I hope to have good tournaments [before Dubai] and then have three weeks off later. I have to rest a little bit and prepare for playing the American season and clay season because after that there is no chance to stop.”

“I don’t have a lot of chances to play less if I want to be at the top,” he said. “I don’t decide the calendar, it’s the ATP. I don’t have a lot of chances to choose where I’m going to play and what I’m going to play.

“This is my eighth year on tour and for the past five years I was one of the players who played the most matches – I didn’t have a lot of [injury] problems. Last year I had a few, but that’s normal if you consistently play at 100 per cent: the body sometimes says ‘stop’.

“I hope to continue playing at this level,” added Nadal in reference to tonight’s win in the UAE capital. “If I do I’ll have chances to do good things this year and that’s my goal. I’ve practised well. It’s my best level on court since Roland Garros [the French Open] last year so that’s very good news for me.”

However, Nadal, a professional since 2001, remains non-committal when comparing the current era of men’s tennis to when he first arrived on the Tour.

“There are new young players now, but when I started there was [Jim] Courier playing unbelievably, [Andre] Agassi playing unbelievably, Leyton [Hewitt], Federer and [Andy] Roddick,” said the Majorca-born baseliner. “Imagine when I started in my first Masters, there was [Marat] Safin, Agassi, Hewitt, Roddick and Federer.

“So when another generation comes it always seems like that’s the best. It’s difficult to say right now. We will see in a few years.”

1. kalliopeia says:

Probably a good decision.

2. patzin says:

Davis Cup isn’t mentioned, but falls in March before American tour I believe.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if he plays that. At least it will be in Spain – not a lot of traveling – on clay and, at the most, 2 matches. So, not a huge physical commitment if he decides to do it. If Fed were playing for the Swiss team, I think Rafa would definitely be there. Since he’s not…who knows.

• tiemyshoe says:

Much as I love DC, I hope he doesn’t. I heard even Stan isn’t going because he’s expecting a kid. Plus, it’ll be a good chance for the rest of the Spanish bench to get a run-in, while Rafa gets in some good rest/practice time.

• aRafaelite says:

Great he’s skipping a tourney but hope he won’t skip Davis Cup. Way too many great team moments to savour and I think their team success has a really strong and positive impact on them as individuals too. I think they all really benefit from their shared achievements, so I hope he doesn’t drop Davis Cup. I admire him for playing for his country when not everyone else does the same ;)

3. faeaki7 says:

Nice to see Rafa making sensible decisions for a change, and yes since #rog isn’t playing the D.C or Wawrinka then there is no reason for Rafa to have to commit, we will see but he definatley needs to go slowly at the beginning of the year, not only is #April+ the most busiest time but it has always been his most successful he needs to protect that, way to go Rafa!

4. Emma R says:

Totally support that decision, and have every faith that he will make wise choices in terms of scheduling this season. He isn’t saying definitely not, but I am sure he will do the right thing.

5. mary says:

It’s good to see Rafa thinking about his bod. (I think about it all the time);-)
    Seriously, if thats possible coming from me, it’s good to see the man using his noggin & thinking what’s best for him. Hope he wins every tourney & gets back his numero uno ranking. And I’d like him to do it fairly easy. It would be nice for a change instead of having to slog it our continuously.

A great step forward for his schedule. Keep healthy Rafa.

7. Wooffie says:

Its still a conjested early 2010 for Rafa and him playing Rotterdam causes much consternation, however, in the hope that his defence of the AO is not as brutal and physically demanding as his original win of it, I actually think that for Rafa to keep playing and drop Dubai is a decent move. It means he has 3 weeks off and negates the need for tiring and tiresome travel to another continent before heading of to the US (he can stay in Europe upon his return from Australia).

At least this shows he is trying to think about his schedule and rest periods. I think though that hell will freeze over before he ever opts out of not playing for Spain in the DC, so unlike Federer and Murray how have already dropped out in their respective ties, Rafa will have this commitment before the US hardcourt swing. I’m seriously starting to think that for all its tradition, the Davis Cup doesn’t have a role in tennis today. Whilst some players put self interests before playing in it, it just dumbs down the competition in my opinion.

8. Finally some sensible decisions. With age comes maturity and Rafa knows that if he wants to be able to compete for many more years he has to lighten his schedule. Hopefully he will keep it up. The DC in Spain is also a big question but i think that he will waits to see how everything will be after the AO and then decide.