Spain gets its salad bowl

Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images

Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images

After two boring and low-key dead rubbers, Spain was declared the winners of the Davis Cup today in Barcelona. Rafa was up first and he was in super-grumpy mode – grabbing his back and making faces at missed shots. He did enough, however, to beat Jan Hajak 6-3, 6-4. Next up, Ferrer took on doubles specialist Lukas Dlouhy and won 6-4, 6-2. Spain sweeps the final winning 5-0 over the Czech Republic. The are the first repeat winners since Sweden in 1998.

1. mary says:

Here is an interview with Rafa after the DC. He likes his grey doesn’t he.

• mary says:

I got this vid from my spanish friend, so I thought I would pass this on & I’ll add what she said.

“Did you all see this video? Nando makes me laugh just by watching him the way he laughs with Rafa..somebody from the Press has said that the word “Nadal” means in catalan “Christmas” and Nando calls him “Our Christmas boy”
      I’m sure Rafa can handle a bit of teasing. Funny boy Nando!!

• mary says:

Also, prior to Nando’s cheek, Rafa was explaining what the Davis cup meant to him in confidence & that playing with his fellow spaniards was a treat.

• Eliana says:

Thanks for the link Mary! I may be kinda deaf because after the press says that Nadal means Navidad in Catalán, I don’t understand anymore of what they’re saying until they start talking about Las Canarias. But LOVING Nando! He’s just laughing it up, and obviously making fun of Rafa by the look of his face :)

• Atch2 says:

Thanks mary, that’s just too damn adorable. Nando cracks me up. They all do, and Rafa being the little bro has to put up with the teasing.

• Atch2 says:

What the heck was Rafa saying at 0.48 when he has to suddenly get up again?

• mary says:

I guess we wiil just have to wonder. I don’t think it was anything serious. It looks more like a oops moment, or shit I forgot something, or I did that wrong. That whole interview centered on a bunch of young hotties have a relaxing & funny time.

2. nic says:

Oh man, so many goodies in this comments thread i don’t have enough time to get through them all today! But thanks for the links everyone. So much happy Rafa and happy Armada. Love it. Makes me smile like crazy with every video I’ve seen. Aaawwww what a bunch of cutie pies.

Speeches fm the DC ceremony. I wish I could understand everything they said.

Rafa is unaware of his pouty gorgeousness at 1.09. Rafa’s speech starts at 2.37 and he’s speaking at 200km/hr. Nando looked like he was about to cry during his speech. Bless.

• sunset says:

1:09 Gorgeous, and slightly embarrassed of being put in the spotlight first, before others, in a team event. It does take a lot of heart for the other players in the Spanish Armada to accept that Rafa is almost always singled out, by cameras, by the press, shadowing the rest. They never let the competitiveness spoil their camaraderie, which is indeed worth congratulating upon.

• Denizen says:

Thanks for the link, Atch2! Tennis Channel didn’t televise the whole thing, so this was lovely!

Rafa’s checking his watch when Costa’s talking, I wonder where he had to be…?

Love the pout, the tongue, the hoarse voice…sexy Rafa!

4. mary says:

There are just too many goodies in this vid of the ceramony, I don’t know where to start so I’ll just post it. They really started to loosen up & enjoy themselves. :)

• An says:

Great camera angel when Rafa is biting the trophy solo…. He’s not only biting, No?

OMG, I must go to work, can’t watch now. Is he licking it?!

*faints*

• An says:

Again i have to say…. Si!
          Go work first, toooo sexy…

• mary says:

OMFG,I believe he does lick it & does a double take at that. Told you there were too many goodies in this vid. I think I’m gonna watch it again. *Drools & pants heavily. Several shirts now permanently stained, faints*

Cute tongue… I’d be happy for Rafa to do to me what he does that trophy. Especially the licking. And then do to me what he does when he puts the trophy back on the big stand…no? ;)

• Atch2 says:

There is so much goodness in this clip. They look so happy and relaxed. Rafa is so Rafadorable but Nando looks just as adorable. He and Rafa deserve this after their battle at AO in the semis and their losses at WTF.

Funny at 7.37 when the champagne wars start and surprises the boys.

And the boys are like energizer bunnies when they can spontaneously start jumping (e.g., 9.30) and cheering and singing and hugging.

Luved seeing Mama Nadal looks quietly happy for Rafa at the end, along with the other Armada parents.

5. Rafangel says:

A great post from Pete Bodo where he says Rafa’s the Most Valuable Player for DC this decade :-) Also some great pics posted by maedel in the comments, and a fantastic summary of a lively-sounding radio interview with the lads (part way down 2nd page of comments, post by Mr X)

And love the Tignor article previously posted by Atch2, which says what we can learn from Rafa this DC.

6. Rafangel says:

…and does anyone know what these ‘problems’ of Ferru were after his breakup last year?

7. mary says:

Just some updated news. I have used a translation & some words are a bit iffy. But the gist of the story is that Rafa slipped the press on his return to Mallorca. Me thinks he needs Rafa alone time or escape time from the world & in particular the press. At least this return for him is positive as he has returned home a winner & his familia was there to witness it!!

• mary says:

Sorry the translater for some reason didn’t work so I will put a copy of it here. This was reported I believe in the, diariodemallorca.es
      “Nadal, by the back door
      The Majorcan flees from journalists on his return to the island after conquering the Davis

J BAUZÀ. PALMA. A passenger flight from Madrid Spanair graphically described the scene to take land yesterday in Son Sant Joan: “has been the first of the aircraft and has been running”. The recipient of the comment was Rafael Nadal, that at noon returned to Mallorca with a replica of the Davis Cup in baggage and planted a dozen journalists who were waiting for him at the airport. “Gone 15 minutes ago”, confirmed a security guard to the astonishment of reporters.
      The Majorcan tennis was released as an exhalation of airport facilities escaping to view graphics media waiting to capture the snapshot of the champion after returning from Madrid, where he had been received by the President of the Government along with the rest of the Spanish team. The manacorí had no desire to speak and chose the seedling, a tactic that has used more often.
      Number two ATP culminated in the victory against the Czech Republic truffled injuries and personal problems that have affected his performance in the Davis harder his career year. In spite of everything, the manacorí has been able to join his Palmarès three Masters 1000, a Grand Slam and the aforementioned Davis.
      Nadal is about to face the face offseason by the year 2010. Mallorca offers you the necessary to sharpen the new goals to overcome tranquility and is expected to complete their first training this week at the Centre de Tecnificació tennis Manacor. Although it could take refuge in a private Son Carrió, a place that is usually racing journalists estate.”

• Atch2 says:

Yeah, I’d wish the press would give Rafa a break, until the next tournament. He needs private time with his family and friends.

Bon Nadal!

• Rafangel says:

“Nadal, by the back door”…?!

• Rafangel says:

What a sad image – running away like a hunted thing. Poor Rafa. It makes me think of how unnervingly vulnerable he looks sometimes – I tend to think it’s just a trick of angle or perspective or something but still it rather bothers me…

8. mary says:

Oh this is an interview Rafa had with ‘Timeforce’ just after the DC. I have done a translation. So cute when they said That Rafa had written his letter to the 3 wise men (I looked up the meaning, )

9. Rafangel says:

“Costa was admitted to a hospital near Barcelona after complaining of heart palpitations, chest pains and hypertension, the Spanish tennis federation said. He was released hours later and was at home resting.”

Get better soon, Costa! :-S

• mary says:

It sounds like this is a warning sign for him to change his lifstyle. He has young children, so he needs to take care of himself.
      Mind you, I’d like to see him there again as team captain in 2010, but his health comes first!!